Howto clean and repaint a body?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aflan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
Question: Is it possible to "strip" a body of its paint en re-paint it?...o_O
If the answer is yes, how would you do it?...:rolleyes:

Thx in advance for the jokes and answers...:p

Greets,

Erik
aka Aflan

HI

Yes it is possible.

1. You can use brake fluid, but it is very messy and time consuming, and it will leave a light yellow haze on the inside of the body afterwards.
2. You can use oven cleaner but it will also leave a light yellow haze on the inside of the body afterwards. I used to use this technique.
3. You can use Nitro RC fuel, and from what I have read it is not as messy as Brake fluid and it does not leave a yellow haze afterwards.

That could be either good or bad. On one hand it's strong and you can customize it as desired. On the other if it does break it's probably going to be sharp, causing possible damage to tires, wires, fingers, etc.

You could paint the outside of the body you want to reuse. Either spray it with something tough or plan on it just being a basher body where the scratches serve as honor badges.

No offense intended, but I think you're making this harder than it should be. If you want a pretty/pristine/shelf queen body then buy a new one. If you want a basher body then run it as is or paint the outside.

I tried both oven cleaner and break fluid on my Axial AX-10 body, which was screwed up by the previous owner making use of Tamiya spray cans.

Believe me: Messy, time consuming, almost impossible in the tiny corners, and that ineffable haze...

Lesson learned: Listen to Woody ;)

I just used rc nitro gas. Easy but a little time consuming. Painting the stock body candy blue. So i can tell it apart from my boi kraton when bashing in the pit

I just used rc nitro gas. Easy but a little time consuming. Painting the stock body candy blue. So i can tell it apart from my boi kraton when bashing in the pit
Hi

Got any pictures and what grade of nitro fuel did you use. I haven't actually don it my self, but it would be nice to see the results.

@ajdragon :I want to make fibreglass bodies...That's a different process...The plaster would catch fire...The wax would just melt away... ;)
But, this is and alternative for making bodies out of traditional plastics...Could use styrofoam to make the model...Flip it...Make a plaster model and do the process in the video...So I am going to look into this...Thx for the info...:)

Hi

"The plaster would catch fire..." As far as I know plaster of pairs is fire resistant. It's used to make molds for casting aluminum and steel. As for fiberglass you use plaster to make the top and bottom molds of the body you want to make, and then you spray some release agent on them and then you start applying the fiberglass cloth & resin. When you are done applying the fiberglass cloth & resin then you strap the two mold halves together with the fiberglass cloth & resin in-between the two halves and then let the fiberglass cure.

Hi

Got any pictures and what grade of nitro fuel did you use. I haven't actually don it my self, but it would be nice to see the results.

It was 25% nitro i run it in my rc10gt with a trx 3.3 and ill post some pix later

@ajdragon :Standard plaster is fire proof only so long...It would not survive the process I want(ed) to use...Which involves a oven and strips of pre-made fibreglass strips...Sorry my English is not good enough for a complete and good explanation...But its the same way they build big sailing yachts...But I will make a "howto" when I have found a way to do this...

In other news...We found out what happened...The corrosive properties of the hot wax reacted with the lexan in the RC body...:eek:
Never knew wax could be corrosive... :confused:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back