Hpi Savage 21 rebuild and restore thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question for the nitro guys. How hot is too hot for a nitro engine? Like 250°F? I'm trying to tune it and it seems to be running lean on idle.
190-220

If it’s only running better at higher temps either it’s too lean as you stated or the sleeve is worn out and needs a pinch. If you get engines above 250 for too long even new, that could wear out the pinch as well.

190-220

If it’s only running better at higher temps either it’s too lean as you stated or the sleeve is worn out and needs a pinch. If you get engines above 250 for too long even new, that could wear out the pinch as well.
Ok how about idle temps? Just so I kinda know how to tune it up. Thanks for the response!

Ok how about idle temps? Just so I kinda know how to tune it up. Thanks for the response!
When I came off the track I was in the 230’s, I never let my engines sit and idle other than break in. If you let it sit and idle, they can stat to climb due to no air cooling the head. If I were to imagine, I’d say they can get into the 150’s in a couple minutes or so. Always temp the plug. Also, depending on what plug you are using and the fuel, that could make a world of difference.

Went through a tank and it was running pretty well at least as far as I could tell. Man when it shifts into 2nd in really puts down the power! Definitely a different experience than electric but man do I enjoy hearing that engine run! Thanks again! @HZRDOS
I've got a video of it running and some questions regarding how it sounds running and what needs adjusted. Engine only got into the 240° max it was mainly running around 200°-210° after WOT passes.

Went through a tank and it was running pretty well at least as far as I could tell. Man when it shifts into 2nd in really puts down the power! Definitely a different experience than electric but man do I enjoy hearing that engine run! Thanks again! @HZRDOS
I've got a video of it running and some questions regarding how it sounds running and what needs adjusted. Engine only got into the 240° max it was mainly running around 200°-210° after WOT passes.
I know @gotnitro has experience with nitro engines.

-edit- Now I see he's already here :ROFLMAO:

Bro nitro is damn hard to work on. I need to get mine tuned but I have a stripped spur so I am going to replace it with a metal one. It really is a lot of fun specially in the snow

I guess the engine got hungry? Is this because of a overtightened slipper clutch? I think the spur was kinda warped in the first place. Odd that it's not shredded all the way around. Gonna try and upload a running video ASAP.
I just don't have a Youtube account.
IMG_20230104_174324868.jpg
IMG_20230104_174345244.jpg

I guess the engine got hungry? Is this because of a overtightened slipper clutch? I think the spur was kinda warped in the first place. Odd that it's not shredded all the way around. Gonna try and upload a running video ASAP.
I just don't have a Youtube account.View attachment 268473View attachment 268474
Warped spur and possible loose mesh is probably the call. Do they make a steel spur for it? Edit, make sure that spur shaft doesn’t have an internal bad bearing.

Yeah, I bought a new HPI Savage 4.6 SS. Right out of the box, it melted spur gears. Within minutes. Didn't even have 2 tanks through it and burned up 4. HPI stopped responding after the second replacement. I asked questions on any forum I could find. EVERYONE blamed it on me and said I didn't know what I was doing. Probably my 6th nitro at the time. Bought a Robinson metal spur. And gave it the beans!

Figured something would give. It did. The 2 speed transmission exploded! Quite literally. Had it apart several times and the bearings looked and felt fine. Apparently one wasn't happy. My boys gifted me the 3 speed transmission. Still in there.

What I'm trying to say....mesh probably has nothing to do with it. Check the drivetrain. There's an unhappy bearing somewhere.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back