Big Rock HR/GPM C-hub & Steering block comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wricksta

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
I ordered a set of GPM and Hot Racing C-HUbs and Steering blocks for comparison. The finish of the Hot Racing is slightly better quality. The HR is a gloss finish, whereas the GPM is more of a satin finish. The bearings pressed in a little tighter on the GPM steering blocks, than the HR(which I prefer). But the HR Steering blocks did not require shimming before putting on hexes. The GPM C-hub is a lot beefier than the HR, I was surprised. The HR C-Hub has a very thin spot that I see could be a potential weak point.

HR/GPM/Arrma C-Hubs
Chubs.jpg

Here you can see the thin area on the HR I was talking about.
Chub comparison.jpg

Stock C-Hub
stock chub.jpg

HR C-Hub
HR chub.jpg

GPM C-Hub
gpm chub.jpg

thank you SO much for posting this comparison. I am pretty surprised that the GPM were stouter, I think this just changed my mind to buy GPM instead. I also like that you have way more color options as well, rather than just black. I wanted to get raw (silver) steering blocks with red hubs. I think thatd set off awesome. Let us know how well they hold up in bashing, I would be really interested in seeing how they both compare in the thrashing department. thank again for posting this!

the GPM look like they weigh a lot more than the hot racing, that should tell you right there that theyre built heavier duty.

Thanks for the comparison, makes me feel alittle better about my GPM order that’s on its way.. lol

NP fellas! I screwed up and ordered both(long story lol). Figured I'd might as well share the info on the forums.

thank you SO much for posting this comparison. I am pretty surprised that the GPM were stouter, I think this just changed my mind to buy GPM instead. I also like that you have way more color options as well, rather than just black. I wanted to get raw (silver) steering blocks with red hubs. I think thatd set off awesome. Let us know how well they hold up in bashing, I would be really interested in seeing how they both compare in the thrashing department. thank again for posting this!

I am really surprised at the C-Hubs. I'm sure the A-arm sandwiched in the HR C-Hub aids in it's structural integrity and I'm curious to see how they hold up. I've seen guys bashing on GPM on being "cheap crap," but their C-Hubs weigh almost twice as much as the HR C-Hubs. I promised them to my buddy already, otherwise I would be installing them in my BRCC.

NP fellas! I screwed up and ordered both(long story lol). Figured I'd might as well share the info on the forums.

I am really surprised at the C-Hubs. I'm sure the A-arm sandwiched in the HR C-Hub aids in it's structural integrity and I'm curious to see how they hold up. I've seen guys bashing on GPM on being "cheap crap," but their C-Hubs weigh twice as much as the HR C-Hubs. I promised them to my buddy already, otherwise I would be installing them in my BRCC.

Wanna sell your other set ?? ??

I have read a lot of people trashing on GPM stuff too, at the end of the day, it’s machined aluminum. The only thing I can see being an issue is tolerances. And maybe one of them is chamfered and deburred better than the other.

But most importantly , if you wanna sell your other set, I know someone who would be interested . Hint hint

Sorry fellas, they were sold the day I ordered them lol. My business partner has a Granite.

I saw the Duperbash video so I ordered the GPM parts. An hour later someone posted up that HR had them too, then I ordered those. I just assumed I'd go with the HR parts, so I called my buddy up. He was in OK in a duck blind hunting lol. I got a text back from him saying, "SOLD." lol

No worries. So if you were to do it al over again, you’d buy the GPM? I’m liking the fact that gpm is more hefty

Actually, I've just swapped out the HR C-hub and Steering block in favor for the GPM parts. I noticed binding in the suspension when installind the HR C-Hub. Turns out the thin section should've actually been machined out more, so it's preventing full motion of the C-hub when the shock in fully extended. Guess my buddy is getting HR Hubs and Knuckles lol

Arrma C-Hub
OEM Chub fitment.jpg

HR C-hub
HR Chub fitment.jpg

GPM C-Hub
GPM Chub fitment.jpg

Interesting ..... did you email hot racing about that? Something must be off

I am really surprised at the C-Hubs. I'm sure the A-arm sandwiched in the HR C-Hub aids in it's structural integrity and I'm curious to see how they hold up. I've seen guys bashing on GPM on being "cheap crap," but their C-Hubs weigh almost twice as much as the HR C-Hubs. I promised them to my buddy already, otherwise I would be installing them in my BRCC.

I bashes my Granite pretty hard yesterday and they held up to some pretty bad landings (I'm rusty). Considering I've never broken the stock plastic c hubs in 6 months of bashing, the chances are breaking the metal HR ones are probably nill. For me it's more bling than anything.

I bashes my Granite pretty hard yesterday and they held up to some pretty bad landings (I'm rusty). Considering I've never broken the stock plastic c hubs in 6 months of bashing, the chances are breaking the metal HR ones are probably nill. For me it's more bling than anything.

I feel ya. Seeing rich drive his on YouTube, with stock plastic ones, that should tell us somethingbthere. The c hub was the first thing that broke on our truck. My kid ran it full speed into my truck tire and popped the whole wheel off... I think it might be a decent investment to make with alloy parts to bulletproof it a little more for the little guy .... although I think it’s just going to transfer the weak point to somewhere else.

Just providing an unbiased opinion of parts from both companies. I paid for all the parts, so I got no skin in the game with either company. The fitment of the GPM C-Hubs and Steering knuckles are better than the HR. HR parts def got that bling factor, but at full shock articulation the HR C-Hubs leave you with a lot of positive camber. This is an Arrma, not a Tamiya Lunchbox lol

I feel ya. Seeing rich drive his on YouTube, with stock plastic ones, that should tell us somethingbthere. The c hub was the first thing that broke on our truck. My kid ran it full speed into my truck tire and popped the whole wheel off... I think it might be a decent investment to make with alloy parts to bulletproof it a little more for the little guy .... although I think it’s just going to transfer the weak point to somewhere else.
Hingepins and A-arms. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it hahahaha. To answer your question "if I were to do it all over again..." I like the HR Steering blocks. I tried to use the GPM C-hubs with HR Steering blocks, they work but there was a little slop up & down(GPM blocks are slightly taller than HR). And I the GPM Steering blocks would not fit in the HR Hubs. So I installed the GPM Hubs and Blocks in my BRCC. Guess my buddy is getting HR parts instead of GPM lol

Excellent review and info man. This should be a sticky post. I’m sure anyone thinking of going the alloy route should take a peak at your discoveries. I wanted to go hot racing but now I’m going gpm. The only issue is I don’t see any sellers on eBay that will ship to Alaska sooooo, might have to wait till gpm website restocks on red

I was in the same boat. I just assumed HR would be heads and shoulders better based on posts on here. They don't ship to AK? You are a lot closer to China than I am lol. Good luck bro, def post up pics when you put your parts on.

Just providing an unbiased opinion of parts from both companies. I paid for all the parts, so I got no skin in the game with either company. The fitment of the GPM C-Hubs and Steering knuckles are better than the HR. HR parts def got that bling factor, but at full shock articulation the HR C-Hubs leave you with a lot of positive camber. This is an Arrma, not a Tamiya Lunchbox lol

Hingepins and A-arms. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it hahahaha. To answer your question "if I were to do it all over again..." I like the HR Steering blocks. I tried to use the GPM C-hubs with HR Steering blocks, they work but there was a little slop up & down(GPM blocks are slightly taller than HR). And I the GPM Steering blocks would not fit in the HR Hubs. So I installed the GPM Hubs and Blocks in my BRCC. Guess my buddy is getting HR parts instead of GPM lol

Now I can get on board with your fitment critique. That's something that would sway me. I'm just saying that the GPM part being thicker would not influence *me*. I highly doubt you are breaking a metal c-hub.

Hopefully GPM has improved their quality because from all accounts on here, their stuff is junk. Personally I have never owned anything made by them. Let us know how they hold up and thanks for the in depth comparison.

I've read the posts of people saying GPM is crap too. I'm hardheaded. I learn things the hard way lol. I had to see for myself, and I'm pleasantly surprised at GPM's quality. The craftsmanship of the HR parts is outstanding, it's just the loss of range of motion that bothered me.

I had the HR parts installed on my BRCC, then my OCD kicked in and pulled it in favor of the GPM C-Hubs & Blocks. I'm sure the HR is probably plenty durable, my buddy will put it through its paces. That dude was making a speed run behind our gym and didn't shut down in time, hit a small bump that put the truck 4-5ft in the air, cleared some bushes, and hit the building next to us lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back