Granite HR pivot balls too tight after upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderer.77

Reaction score
Hello guys,

just changed stock plastic pivot balls in my V2 granite for aluminum pivot balls from HR and they are really, really tight, especially on steering. Its tight, but definately not so responsive like before, I am afraid that is too much for the servo.
Can I leave it as it is (maybe it will be better over time?)
OR should I increase the size of holes in composite links? (part AR330446)
OR lubricate with something? WD40 or some dry lube?

Thanks in advance!

Its worse at the bulkhead. They are a bit smaller than the v2. Shace a little with a razor knife or drimmel it down some. Others will chime in as well. I just done them in my BR. Had to ask on here what the hell? Ive seen Team Associated has a good set and they arent red in case u don't want that color

Do the balls move freely inside the rod ends? This is what matters, because once you tighten down the screws the pivot balls do not move the rod end does.

Its worse at the bulkhead. They are a bit smaller than the v2. Shace a little with a razor knife or drimmel it down some. Others will chime in as well. I just done them in my BR. Had to ask on here what the hell? Ive seen Team Associated has a good set and they arent red in case u don't want that color
I quite like the red in combination with my red T-Bone wheelie bar..problem is it will not last long..

Do the balls move freely inside the rod ends? This is what matters, because once you tighten down the screws the pivot balls do not move the rod end does.
No, absolutely not. It´s tough as hell. It´s strange, because visually looks the same - size of the original plastic vs. aluminum ones. The shocks even don't lift the car up, only half-way up, when I press it down..

No, absolutely not. It´s tough as hell. It´s strange, because visually looks the same - size of the original plastic vs. aluminum ones. The shocks even don't lift the car up, only half-way up, when I press it down..
They definitely should not be that tight. I would try to break them in first then if that doesn't help try sanding them a little bit.

They definitely should not be that tight. I would try to break them in first then if that doesn't help try sanding them a little bit.
OK, thanks for your advice. Will try to run few packs through it and will see how it performs..you mean sanding the pivot balls, not holes in rod ends right?
Maybe it just need some time, the car is still guite new - one year. And maybe I am paranoid too, afraid of burning servo or something, because it has lot of work to do now and everything is not so responsive like before.

OK, thanks for your advice. Will try to run few packs through it and will see how it performs..you mean sanding the pivot balls, not holes in rod ends right?
Maybe it just need some time, the car is still guite new - one year. And maybe I am paranoid too, afraid of burning servo or something, because it has lot of work to do now and everything is not so responsive like before.
Yeah sand the pivot balls.

That’s strange that the HR pivot balls are tight for you - I have them in my Typhon 3S, and I do not have any issues with them being too tight. Good luck in getting yours to work the way they should: hopefully they will wear in quickly.

That’s strange that the HR pivot balls are tight for you - I have them in my Typhon 3S, and I do not have any issues with them being too tight. Good luck in getting yours to work the way they should: hopefully they will wear in quickly.

It´s possible that rod ends have smaller holes in brushed Arrma´s? My granite is originally Mega, completely upgraded to brushless..

yes, I still have these one piece plastic links..can be that the problem??
Well, that's probably the reason they are so tight. The HR pivot balls are made for the adjustable turnbuckles. But I'm sure after a few runs they will start to loosen up a little bit. If they don't loosen up just sand the pivot balls a little bit like Slick said.

Well, that's probably the reason they are so tight. The HR pivot balls are made for the adjustable turnbuckles. But I'm sure after a few runs they will start to loosen up a little bit. If they don't loosen up just sand the pivot balls a little bit like Slick said.
OK, that´s a new information for me. It´s guite stupid if they are not compatible. OR buy a new turnbuckles..:ROFLMAO:

OK, that´s a new information for me. It´s guite stupid if they are not compatible. OR buy a new turnbuckles..:ROFLMAO:
Get to know JennysRC’s. They are a parts breaker, you can get stock parts decently priced. Turnbuckle pack is like 14 bucks I think.

Get to know JennysRC’s. They are a parts breaker, you can get stock parts decently priced. Turnbuckle pack is like 14 bucks I think.
I already ordered them at my local hobby shop. I will let you know if the size of the holes is the same..if it will be the same, I will leave them as a spare.

The shocks wont go all the way down? Did you make sure to put the driveshafts back together properly and not big slot into the small slot? Not sure what to call it but it has big and small grooves that fit into each other on the driveshafts haha

Back