Hsp Shocks for the blx lineup personal experience and pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah. the HSP shocks are longer and larger. They have more travel in the springs and everything. So yes higher ride height at any setting and too stiff of oil and they didnt give, too light and they gave too much. I spent more time flipping the car over than it was worth.

Buy these instead. And use the factory springs and you'll be all set. https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Perfo...0-Arrma-SENTON-4x4-3S-BXL-Silver/332995307383
Ride height will be almost identical to factory.
Thanks for the link, I've just ordered some. Is the spring softer than the factory one?
And, you didn't change the shock fluid?
Just the rear springs and it behaves like factory, minus the leaking?

Thanks for the link, I've just ordered some. Is the spring softer than the factory one?

Eastwolf1228 - yeah its going to be really close to factory. Obviously no leaking. Also these are 4mm shafts so they don't break as easily as the factory ones either. I did have a slight manufactures defect on my rear shocks when they came in. There is a plastic washer inside that allows the fluid to flow from the top and bottom of the shock, on that is 2 mini holes that the fluid moves through. Mine had the plastic stuck in it when it was pressed out and never fully trimmed off. I had to use a razor blade and just scrape it off and it was fine. you can DM me if you want pics of what I did.

Finally received and adjusted the HSP 81002/3 shocks from eBay on BLX Granite.

As other members have said, they're longer than stock with questionable shock oil..... They are WAY longer.
  • Dismantled each and drained the yellow stuff for 10 minutes
  • Removed the shock pin and installed shock travel stoppers (YouTube has tutorials on this).
  • Filled all 4 corners with 50wt TLR oil. Tried to fill with minimal rebound, but failed.
  • Reassembled.
  • Fronts have preload screwed 20%. Rears, nil.

Result: so far...... Only 10+ mins on smooth stuff. Seems to behave much the same as before. In terms of understeer, side skid/brake without flipping (not too soft).

The shocks sufficiently clear the Arms without needing spacers etc.

I need to do some medium jumps to really test the shocks.

The main thing so far: NO LEAKS, DRY A-Arms!!! ???

I'll follow up with updates after running on grass/jumps.

Attachments

• IMG_20190301_233900.jpg
    IMG_20190301_233900.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20190302_001610.jpg
    IMG_20190302_001610.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20190302_002702.jpg
    IMG_20190302_002702.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20190302_182658.jpg
    IMG_20190302_182658.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20190302_182720.jpg
    IMG_20190302_182720.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20190302_182748.jpg
    IMG_20190302_182748.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20190302_182825.jpg
    IMG_20190302_182825.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20190302_182923.jpg
    IMG_20190302_182923.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20190302_183014.jpg
    IMG_20190302_183014.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20190301_225558.jpg
    IMG_20190301_225558.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 67
Finally received and adjusted the HSP 81002/3 shocks from eBay on BLX Granite.
Removed the shock pin and installed shock travel stoppers (YouTube has tutorials on this).
I'll follow up with updates after running on grass/jumps.
To soon for jumping updates, I get that.

But talk to me about the travel stoppers!

The main reason I'm uninterested in these socks is the excessive downwards droop/travel these have. Did your travel stop make the fully extended length nearly the same as the stock units?

Wait... Did you order the silver big bore shocks that esowins recommended as you indicated above or did you purchase ONLY the HSP 81002/81003?

To soon for jumping updates, I get that.

But talk to me about the travel stoppers!

The main reason I'm uninterested in these socks is the excessive downwards droop/travel these have. Did your travel stop make the fully extended length nearly the same as the stock units?
Excessive downward droop? Not sure about this, but fresh out of the ebay bag, fronts & rears were between 10-20mm too long making the ride height higher around 10mm.
I installed them anyway and noted that a drop from one foot off the ground would slap the chassis AND it would just bounce around..... so I questioned the oil inside.

The pink (nitro) fuel line I used as stoppers on the pins were perfect per Youtube tutorials. they limit the extension to the desired amount. You'll see in the pics that I've achieved a near identical match in length to the stock ones. But for performance (from a common sense view point rather than experience) there are so many other variables than just having the same length shock. They're not nearly as plush as the setup @richduperbash has. I was hoping that for USD18.00 to merely substitute the factory leakers.... I didn't have high hopes, but they seem to be fine.
I've lept off the curb onto the road at 60% throttle etc and she's totally fine and she corners just as well/rubbish as she did outta the box.

If you want to try these for USD18, you'll need at least 50wt oil, some nitro tubing and around 2 hours of toddler free time.

Wait... Did you order the silver big bore shocks that esowins recommended as you indicated above or did you purchase ONLY the HSP 81002/81003?
Heya pal, YES, I ordered the "Big bore aluminium shock for Arrma Granite" (USD39.99) per above after I ordered the HSP 81002/3's - which I probably wouldn't have bought had I known about esowins' recommendation.

Heya pal, YES, I ordered the "Big bore aluminium shock for Arrma Granite" (USD39.99) per above after I ordered the HSP 81002/3's - which I probably wouldn't have bought had I known about esowins' recommendation.
So, pardon if I'm missing this from advice, but did you share your impressions of the big bore shocks? How did they compare to the 81002/3?

So, pardon if I'm missing this from advice, but did you share your impressions of the big bore shocks? How did they compare to the 81002/3?
There's another thing to watch out about those shocks that I discovered recently. The rod on the left is the Big bore, the rod on the right is the V3 Typhon. They seriously can't do anything right. The Typhon threads are wider & more than twice as long as the Big bore. Thankfully, the Typhon rod fits the Big bore shock.

Gday. They haven't arrived yet. You didn't miss anything ?
Shipping is a horrible thing.
The member that uses these recommends them but with the Arrma springs in the rear.

Regarding my testing of the HSP 81002/3 ebay shocks:

So, er.... Minor setback.
I was doing speed runs on a grass field while sitting down quite far away to stay out of the sun (summer here). I didn't correctly judge how close I was to a fence and I hit a steel fence pole at around 80% throttle. It seemed to be ok on the grass after that (and some medium jumps) but then found one of the front wheels on a lean when I got closer.....

Grass speed runs: just as good/poor as stock.

Grass jumps/landing on the flat: just as good/poor as stock.

Smooth asphalt: behaves just like stock, rolls around a little, but still happy to skid under tight lower speed turns.

In conclusion: a decent, cost effective replacement for the stock leakers.

Note: I'm awaiting my silver EBay shocks "Big Bore for Granite/senton".

Attachments

• IMG_20190303_144650.jpg
    IMG_20190303_144650.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20190303_142900.jpg
    IMG_20190303_142900.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
the HSP 81002/3 shocks has arrived they looks good...now it's time to install them and see if is better than stock...

Attachments

• 20190304_141030.jpg
    20190304_141030.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 42
I installed new socks they look good and quality for that price ? they are longer than stock and with this fluid inside are buncy like a crazy...I used a bush of steering bell crank to fill the space...they fit perfect ? now i waiting for shock fluids to fill them.

Attachments

• 20190304_232420.jpg
    20190304_232420.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190304_231658.jpg
    20190304_231658.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 51
I installed new socks they look good and quality for that price ? they are longer than stock and with this fluid inside are buncy like a crazy...I used a bush of steering bell crank to fill the space...they fit perfect ? now i waiting for shock fluids to fill them.
Good luck, I used 50wt and would advise no lighter than this. I don't know how heavy these ebay shocks can handle, but if I could ldo it again, I'd try 60wt.

Good luck, I used 50wt and would advise no lighter than this. I don't know how heavy these ebay shocks can handle, but if I could ldo it again, I'd try 60wt.

Tnx...I ordered 50wt ... after giving you a better shock oil are they still bouncy or they do good damping?

There is nowhere to be a clip showing how to handle these hsp from the descent from the height

Tnx...I ordered 50wt ... after giving you a better shock oil are they still bouncy or they do good damping?

There is nowhere to be a clip showing how to handle these hsp from the descent from the height
Hi Mk, please have a look at my review above.... I talked about how I adjusted their lengths to be like the factory shocks.

Short answer: yes, I got them to behave similar to factory shocks ?

I run the same shock's the spring's on them are to hard .I now run the stock granite spring's much better now.

I just received a set of the same HSP shocks. I am rather new at this and I am having a hard time setting them up so they don’t have excessive rebound. How are you filling yours and bleeding the air out?

I just received a set of the same HSP shocks. I am rather new at this and I am having a hard time setting them up so they don’t have excessive rebound. How are you filling yours and bleeding the air out?
I've watched a stack of tutorials as I confess I am a Noob. They generally advise that you
  1. Fill about 90%, then gently pump the pin
  2. Let sit for 5-10 mins. Be patient. let the bubbles escape
  3. Fill the remainder to the top.
  4. Install the shock cap: as you slowly twist it tight, the excess oil should bleed out - that's it.
  5. I read that completing the above process while the shock pin is at 50% travel would make it rebound neutral. I tried, and I still have some slow rebound ~fail.
Good luck - let us know how you get on.

For guys that need some tubing or fuel line to buffer aftermarket shocks for BLX 1:10, this is what you're looking for. Works perfectly. Screw fits tight and will take some finagling to get through but eventually a great fit for top of the shocks in the shock tower. I had to grab some tonight from Home Depot and $6 gets you 10' of the stuff. You'll need less than an inch per truck but good to have around in case your weed eater, chainsaw, leaf blower needs fixing. Or maybe you have a gasser or nitro collecting dust?...lol.....I wouldnt know.
I searched for 4mm first and ended up buying 3/16".
Doing the HR c-hubs, AVID bearings and aftermarket aluminum shocks on brcc. 50wt shock oil.
Anyway, second photo is the Home Depot tubing product:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back