Hsp Shocks for the blx lineup personal experience and pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For guys that need some tubing or fuel line to buffer aftermarket shocks for BLX 1:10, this is what you're looking for. Works perfectly. Screw fits tight and will take some finagling to get through but eventually a great fit for top of the shocks in the shock tower. I had to grab some tonight from Home Depot and $6 gets you 10' of the stuff. You'll need less than an inch per truck but good to have around in case your weed eater, chainsaw, leaf blower needs fixing. Or maybe you have a gasser or nitro collecting dust?...lol.....I wouldnt know.
I searched for 4mm first and ended up buying 3/16".
Doing the HR c-hubs, AVID bearings and aftermarket aluminum shocks on brcc. 50wt shock oil.
Anyway, second photo is the Home Depot tubing product:

View attachment 32609View attachment 32608
Hi there
How are you finding these Silver shocks with 50wt oil?
I'm surprised (a little disappointed) about how stiff these things are:
  • I've used 50wt and then 40wt (marginally better)... if I drop the truck from a foot high on to concrete, it just bounces on its tyres and the shocks don't move. Then if I drop it from say 2 feet high or more the chassis slaps on the floor.
  • Note that "at rest", the shocks remain at about 60-70% of standard height - as in, they sink a bit which looks mean, but I'm sure they weren't designed to do that! [A-arms remain horizontal to the ground, like a Notorious etc]
  • Slightly shorter than stock height.... Pics are against the purple HSP ones I've documented earlier in this thread, which I've matched the height to stock 99% accurately
Handling on blacktop is awesome., having a slightly lower stance and stiffer setup, it doesn't traction role anymore.

I read someones's post that these silver bigbores work better with the stock springs in them.
All good fun but emptying and replacing shock oil is getting tiring!
The sagging could be remedied by using a stiffer spring I know..... I quite like the height.

Let me know how yours is performing please.

Attachments

• IMG_20190317_194159.jpg
    IMG_20190317_194159.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20190318_002004.jpg
    IMG_20190318_002004.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20190318_002149.jpg
    IMG_20190318_002149.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20190318_002656.jpg
    IMG_20190318_002656.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Hi there
How are you finding these Silver shocks with 50wt oil?
I'm surprised (a little disappointed) about how stiff these things are:
  • I've used 50wt and then 40wt (marginally better)... if I drop the truck from a foot high on to concrete, it just bounces on its tyres and the shocks don't move. Then if I drop it from say 2 feet high or more the chassis slaps on the floor.
  • Note that "at rest", the shocks remain at about 60-70% of standard height - as in, they sink a bit which looks mean, but I'm sure they weren't designed to do that! [A-arms remain horizontal to the ground, like a Notorious etc]
Handling on blacktop is awesome., having a slightly lower stance and stiffer setup, it doesn't traction role anymore.

I read someones's post that these silver bigbores work better with the stock springs in them.
All good fun but emptying and replacing shock oil is getting tiring!
The sagging could be remedied by using a stiffer spring I know..... I quite like the height.

Let me know how yours is performing please.
Should know in the next couple days when I put some power to it. Waiting for some stuff to come in tomorrow to get it together and after I run a few packs through I'll report. I don't notice much difference between stock springs and these new ones in my hand but I also don't have a tool to measure details.
I'll run it as it is on the road and in my yard and I'll jump the ramps I have as well. Same ramps everybody uses. I'm excited to see now that you've given details of your experience....
Im hoping I won't need a lesser viscosity oil cause I don't have any and would have to wait on more.

FWIW, I just tried putting in an extra o ring in the stock shock to see if it would prevent oil leaks.

As the shock sits in the vehicle, I doubled them up the lowest position.

I wonder if it'll hold.

FWIW, I just tried putting in an extra o ring in the stock shock to see if it would prevent oil leaks.

I wonder if it'll hold.
Do you have some of that Green Slime or similar? I haven't really looked to see why my stock BLX shocks started leaking but I know folks use green slime to seal the deal and it works on good shocks / upgrades or rebuilds. I don't have any or anything like it so I didnt do it this time. Kinda wish I did.
Curious to see if the o-ring works for you. I hope it does. No reason to overthink and buy everything to fix simple .... ...is what I keep trying to teach myself. lol

RC is all about personal experiences. Share whatever whenever. We're not the uptight internet bunch. I tried those shock ages ago & made sure everyone knew about them at the time, over a year ago. The issue reoccurs countless times because the stock shocks are leaking junk. They perform well if they are solid & stay solid. But you have to have awesome luck. Since then I found that these work without any modifications: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shock-Abso...002N-137MM-1-8-RC-CAR-HSP-Redcat/273149484410

Just got my ride and I've been looking for new shocks. I'll be trying these out on my BRCC!

I would spend a few dollars on the HSP shocks and test and tune them, but a few things I don't have the answers to:

1. Can you use preload spacers on these? From the pictures, it looks like they just have fixed upper spring perches, hopefully you can reuse the stock perch and spacers on top.

2. What size o-rings do these use? If I can't find a readily available replacement o-ring/x-ring, that's pretty much a non-starter for me.

They have a threaded body with a spacer to adjust a preload, so there is no need for the stock spacers. I find that they work way better with the stock arrma springs but I just have a difficult time bleeding the air out of them. Other than that, they perform similar to the stock shocks for me.

Oh yeah. the HSP shocks are longer and larger. They have more travel in the springs and everything. So yes higher ride height at any setting and too stiff of oil and they didnt give, too light and they gave too much. I spent more time flipping the car over than it was worth.

Buy these instead. And use the factory springs and you'll be all set. https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Perfo...0-Arrma-SENTON-4x4-3S-BXL-Silver/332995307383
Ride height will be almost identical to factory.
So I went ahead and bought the shocks in the link....
40/50 wt TLR oil doesn't really work. The truck just bounces around on the tires. It's really odd, because you can compress the shocks easily with your hands, but they won't budge when dropped from one foot high... and I'm still using the supplied soft springs.

What weight oil are you using to achieve stock (or better) performance?

They have a threaded body with a spacer to adjust a preload, so there is no need for the stock spacers. I find that they work way better with the stock arrma springs but I just have a difficult time bleeding the air out of them. Other than that, they perform similar to the stock shocks for me.

Thanks. I'm assuming they don't have bleeder holes/screws, or even a little pinhole at the base of the cap to bleed while you're screwing it on?

Here's a video I made on building/bleeding TRX4 shocks which is a similar design.

Do you have some of that Green Slime or similar? I haven't really looked to see why my stock BLX shocks started leaking but I know folks use green slime to seal the deal and it works on good shocks / upgrades or rebuilds. I don't have any or anything like it so I didnt do it this time. Kinda wish I did.
Curious to see if the o-ring works for you. I hope it does. No reason to overthink and buy everything to fix simple .... ...is what I keep trying to teach myself. lol
I think I would like to try the slime out on the stockers as they work pretty damned well, when not leaking.

I wonder if it'll hold.
Following, also though about trying to find a beefier o-ring

Tried green slime last rebuild, still leaked, maybe I didn't use enough?

Thanks. I'm assuming they don't have bleeder holes/screws, or even a little pinhole at the base of the cap to bleed while you're screwing it on?

Here's a video I made on building/bleeding TRX4 shocks which is a similar design.

Yeah, they are completely sealed like the ones in your video. Thanks for posting that because I will likely try to do the same thing to mine. They have too much rebound.

So @Eoswins highlighted an issue with the eBay BigBore shocks for Granite etc.... The valve inside (not sure what the tech name is exactly) doesn't have enough holes (only 1) to allow oil to flow.... Hence it felt like I filled them with sand.. here's what mine looks like vs what they should look like. I have contacted the ebay vendor who is looking at sending me a replacement set.... I'm guessing that it will be the same deal anyway... but I'll keep them around for carpark bashing - I actually very seldom jump or send-it - and these made them handle so so well.
I now have my modified HSP 81002/3's and the refurbished stockers that the supplier has now returned to me, so my sole truck (Granite) is still in action.

Attachments

• IMG_20190320_213842.jpg
    IMG_20190320_213842.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    95.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20190318_012129_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20190318_012129_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
So @Eoswins highlighted an issue with the eBay BigBore shocks for Granite etc.... The valve inside (not sure what the tech name is exactly) doesn't have enough holes (only 1) to allow oil to flow.... Hence it felt like I filled them with sand.. here's what mine looks like vs what they should look like. I have contacted the ebay vendor who is looking at sending me a replacement set.... I'm guessing that it will be the same deal anyway... but I'll keep them around for carpark bashing - I actually very seldom jump or send-it - and these made them handle so so well.
I now have my modified HSP 81002/3's and the refurbished stockers that the supplier has now returned to me, so my sole truck (Granite) is still in action.
Mine are the same and have only one hole. I haven't run it but they feel ok on the bench. I planned to drill myself to fix if necessary. Or buy another product to fit if I can find one. Also, I got mine shipped free

Following, also though about trying to find a beefier o-ring

Tried green slime last rebuild, still leaked, maybe I didn't use enough?
I wonder if Mcmaster Carr has any X rings the correct size?

Mine are the same and have only one hole. I haven't run it but they feel ok on the bench. I planned to drill myself to fix if necessary. Or buy another product to fit if I can find one. Also, I got mine shipped free

Iirc the seller of those is US based and eastwolf appears to be someplace else.

I wonder if Mcmaster Carr has any X rings the correct size?

Iirc the seller of those is US based and eastwolf appears to be someplace else.
I clicked Southern Hemisphere and it showed me a map of the US. lol. No telling. I've been caught in a similar situation before wishing to buy a Kraton.

I clicked Southern Hemisphere and it showed me a map of the US. lol. No telling. I've been caught in a similar situation before wishing to buy a Kraton.
Huh?

i got my hsb shocks today and put them on the senton and tried a few diff configurations and they are way way too bouncy... It seems like they have no oil in them... if they were more than $20 i would be pissed. you get what you pay for..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back