Hsp Shocks for the blx lineup personal experience and pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i got my hsb shocks today and put them on the senton and tried a few diff configurations and they are way way too bouncy... It seems like they have no oil in them... if they were more than $20 i would be pissed. you get what you pay for..
I just filled mine with new oil and put the stock springs on them. They work good enough for me. The springs that come on them are too stiff.

Hi there
How are you finding these Silver shocks with 50wt oil?
I'm surprised (a little disappointed) about how stiff these things are:
  • I've used 50wt and then 40wt (marginally better)... if I drop the truck from a foot high on to concrete, it just bounces on its tyres and the shocks don't move. Then if I drop it from say 2 feet high or more the chassis slaps on the floor.
  • Note that "at rest", the shocks remain at about 60-70% of standard height - as in, they sink a bit which looks mean, but I'm sure they weren't designed to do that! [A-arms remain horizontal to the ground, like a Notorious etc]
  • Slightly shorter than stock height.... Pics are against the purple HSP ones I've documented earlier in this thread, which I've matched the height to stock 99% accurately
Handling on blacktop is awesome., having a slightly lower stance and stiffer setup, it doesn't traction role anymore.

I read someones's post that these silver bigbores work better with the stock springs in them.
All good fun but emptying and replacing shock oil is getting tiring!
The sagging could be remedied by using a stiffer spring I know..... I quite like the height.

Let me know how yours is performing please.

I just put those same tires on my BRCC and I think they perform much better than stock tires. I haven't gone in the grass or dirt with it yet, as they just came in this afternoon. I only ran it in the street, but it didn't flip near as much- wider tires and lower CoG. Let me know what you think of those tires. I will be doing some more upgrades later, but I have to do it a little at a time and this was at least a start.

i got my hsb shocks today and put them on the senton and tried a few diff configurations and they are way way too bouncy... It seems like they have no oil in them... if they were more than $20 i would be pissed. you get what you pay for..
I like my Trackstar shocks, but I still haven't found a good solution to the upper shock mount. What I have now "works" but not really.

I just put those same tires on my BRCC and I think they perform much better than stock tires. I haven't gone in the grass or dirt with it yet, as they just came in this afternoon. I only ran it in the street, but it didn't flip near as much- wider tires and lower CoG. Let me know what you think of those tires. I will be doing some more upgrades later, but I have to do it a little at a time and this was at least a start.
Regarding the Vindicator tyres:
Street: awesome, superior to stock. I've tried Duratrax Bandito's which are comparable but only good for blacktop. I think the compound is perfect.
Grass: As good as stock.
Dirt: untested, but surely it has to be inferior to stock given the tread pattern.
I totally recommend this wheel. Very underrated.

HSB update.... After 5 min of jumping on my little plastic jump i have bent my second shock shaft and the rear prob isnt gonna bend back... lol

Regarding the Vindicator tyres:
Street: awesome, superior to stock. I've tried Duratrax Bandito's which are comparable but only good for blacktop. I think the compound is perfect.
Grass: As good as stock.
Dirt: untested, but surely it has to be inferior to stock given the tread pattern.
I totally recommend this wheel. Very underrated.
If it doesn’t flip as much it will be much better. I just tested mine on concrete with the new tires and it was much better than stock. On my first pack I flipped the truck and scratched it all up in the first five minutes!

HSB update.... After 5 min of jumping on my little plastic jump i have bent my second shock shaft and the rear prob isnt gonna bend back... lol
Other than these shocks not leaking, everything everything else about them is worse than the stock shocks.

Other than these shocks not leaking, everything everything else about them is worse than the stock shocks.

lol... i already have both the fronts leaking... i tightened the nut on shaft down too... leaking just like the stockers.... need typhon shocks...

lol... i already have both the fronts leaking... i tightened the nut on shaft down too... leaking just like the stockers.... need typhon shocks...
Mine leaked too but I thought it was because I didn’t tighten the nuts enough. The aluminum is so cheap. I think these shocks suck. But people want aluminum so they buy them.

So @Eoswins highlighted an issue with the eBay BigBore shocks for Granite etc.... The valve inside (not sure what the tech name is exactly) doesn't have enough holes (only 1) to allow oil to flow.... Hence it felt like I filled them with sand.. here's what mine looks like vs what they should look like. I have contacted the ebay vendor who is looking at sending me a replacement set.... I'm guessing that it will be the same deal anyway... but I'll keep them around for carpark bashing - I actually very seldom jump or send-it - and these made them handle so so well.
I now have my modified HSP 81002/3's and the refurbished stockers that the supplier has now returned to me, so my sole truck (Granite) is still in action.
Can we or should we drill 2 more holes into the disc, so it has 3 holes?

They have no oil in them.

You have to add your own. I tried 50wt but it seems a bit firm to me. Others seem happy with 50. Also the shocks are a little long so you need to add some spacers. You will fund the details further back in this thread I think.

Hi there
How are you finding these Silver shocks with 50wt oil?
I'm surprised (a little disappointed) about how stiff these things are:
  • I've used 50wt and then 40wt (marginally better)... if I drop the truck from a foot high on to concrete, it just bounces on its tyres and the shocks don't move. Then if I drop it from say 2 feet high or more the chassis slaps on the floor.
  • Note that "at rest", the shocks remain at about 60-70% of standard height - as in, they sink a bit which looks mean, but I'm sure they weren't designed to do that! [A-arms remain horizontal to the ground, like a Notorious etc]
  • Slightly shorter than stock height.... Pics are against the purple HSP ones I've documented earlier in this thread, which I've matched the height to stock 99% accurately
Handling on blacktop is awesome., having a slightly lower stance and stiffer setup, it doesn't traction role anymore.

I read someones's post that these silver bigbores work better with the stock springs in them.
All good fun but emptying and replacing shock oil is getting tiring!
The sagging could be remedied by using a stiffer spring I know..... I quite like the height.

Let me know how yours is performing please.
Your truck looks amazing! Which body is that? Is that how it came or are you a handy with an airbrush?

Your truck looks amazing! Which body is that? Is that how it came or are you a handy with an airbrush?
Thanks mate. It's a Proline Ford Raptor 150 part #3348.
It's done via Tamiya spray tins.
You should have seen it before I scratched up the body. It came out purrrdy... Happy, given it's my first attempt at a body.
Youtube key words search: spray paint RC marble effect

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back