Kraton Hub Carrier - lighter required?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northeastflyer

live free or die
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Talion
Looking at replacing Hub carrier and had an issue removing the pin? from the axel?

Would this heat method + wd40 work?

There is a single screw inside the axle to release the pin. You don’t even have to remove the screw. Just back it out a turn or two and slide the pin out. Then slide the hex off the axle. Don’t lose the pin.

There is a single screw inside the axle to release the pin. You don’t even have to remove the screw. Just back it out a turn or two and slide the pin out. Then slide the hex off the axle. Don’t lose the pin.
Alright. Was unsure if I even moved it or not.
Will try today again.

thank you!!

That grub screw might be tight due to loctite i.e. you will still need a lighter or heat to break it loose. Don't strip it, pain in the behind to get those out.
Pin should fall out by itself (almost) when loosened.

That grub screw might be tight due to loctite i.e. you will still need a lighter or heat to break it loose. Don't strip it, pain in the behind to get those out.
Pin should fall out by itself (almost) when loosened.
It’s a 2.5mm head so it shouldn’t strip as easy. Mine all broke free with a snap of the wrist. Not everything needs heat IMO.

update: i don't think i can get these current hubs off. on one side i could get the pin and its screw out no problem, but the other side i cannot even with heat and im worried its being stripped.

how do i avoid stripping these screws? do i even really need the new hubs? what happens when these plastic ones do break?

?

You are not applying enough heat is my guess. I use a torch and easily have to go up to a minute, at times, just before the plastic melts ;)
My own record on a M2C chassis was ~ 2 minutes as the chassis acts like a giant heat-sink, I would have never made it with a soldering iron or similar.

No need to change the hubs if they are not worn out or broken. You do need to remove them to change bearings though, that is inevitable.

I stripped one of them because I'm a lazy bastard and didn't clean them before disassembly so this one was full of dirt and the hex driver didnt't engage properly.

You could try and knock the pin out ignoring the screw.

I stripped one of them because I'm a lazy bastard and didn't clean them before disassembly so this one was full of dirt and the hex driver didnt't engage properly.

You could try and knock the pin out ignoring the screw.
You know mine were pretty dirty and I could of done a better job of cleaning them before attempting to remove.

update: put another couple hours to it. trying to loosen it just further strips it even after a solid heat session. If I was to just remove the entire hub carrier section, with plans to put in HR hubs, what would I also need to buy? which parts?

i imagine a new front axel? as its connected to the hub.

update:
got it. buddy came over and i dunno... he was able to turn the screw. fml.

new servo in tomorrow and im back online!

thinking about a second truck

2nd truck is almost mandatory imho. 1 down and 1 to drive or if the first breaks, 10 min into a session, your day is not completely ruined.
Pick something that is comparable/compatible and you can swap parts if needed.
Then again, 3 is a charm, the 3rd could be very different but then you need a backup for that which is #4 ...5...8..arrrgghh :ROFLMAO:

Currently contemplating which will be my 3rd... Mojave or XMaxx..but I already have a plane coming in and a small heli....It's a good thing everything is sold out...

2nd truck is almost mandatory imho. 1 down and 1 to drive or if the first breaks, 10 min into a session, your day is not completely ruined.
Pick something that is comparable/compatible and you can swap parts if needed.
Then again, 3 is a charm, the 3rd could be very different but then you need a backup for that which is #4 ...5...8..arrrgghh :ROFLMAO:

Currently contemplating which will be my 3rd... Mojave or XMaxx..but I already have a plane coming in and a small heli....It's a good thing everything is sold out...

ill check those out.

everything is so sold out! i think i got the last kraton 2 weeks ago.

my other buddy has a Granite tomorrow I am looking at seeing how it compares in the field to my kraton.

I have not explored other brands but id do a 2nd kraton, or a maybe the 6s Typhon. How bashable is the Typhon?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back