HW 4985 1650kv motor fan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yas

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Notorious
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Typhon 3s
Can anyone fire out any suggestions? I've tried these so far but they don't fit

SkyRC 1/5th Motor Cooling Fan #SK-400008-15 (too big)

Hobbywing EZRUN Heat Sink with Fan for 4465 Motors, #HW86080130 (too small)

Edit: just found this thread:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/hobbywing-4985-1650kv-heatsink.15974/

Has anyone tried the Powerhobby 1/8 twin fans on the 4985? I'm in the UK and I can only order this fan from US

Last edited:
R1wurks 40mm fan
Exotek clamp is cool you can mount both 30mm/40mm and bro they push mad air

For heatsink (yokomo) which I also have but you can mount 30/40mm fan

yeah racing dual fan 30mm heatsink red or blk only and covers under motors also

yokomo 40mm heatsink and fan or mount 30mm
If you want one fan

Attachments

• 02FBFB1B-1D3E-46F3-B095-C2FE0E24E5B2.jpeg
    02FBFB1B-1D3E-46F3-B095-C2FE0E24E5B2.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 357
Out of extreme laziness, I went the ghetto route and tied a fan to my motor with paracord. Had quite a few crashes with the setup so far, but its still going strong.
Probably not for people who are really invested in the looks of their rig though :D

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_132136.jpg
    IMG_20200527_132136.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 248
Out of extreme laziness, I went the ghetto route and tied a fan to my motor with paracord. Had quite a few crashes with the setup so far, but its still going strong.
Probably not for people who are really invested in the looks of their rig though :D
Indeed we is, I’m stupid invested
But fk it, it works right least there’s no staples connected to reciever to get steering lol

I went lazy as well. You can stretch the heat sink around the motor and zip tie it down.
View attachment 82880
I know I need to re-solder the wires! Just to show as an example.
That’s what I was thinking. You could possibly use the k8s motor fan and heat sink.

That’s what I was thinking. You could possibly use the k8s motor fan and heat sink.
That Yeah Racing fan set up is actually for a 42XX motor can size. I just stretched it over the bigger can anyways. If that K8S fan setup is cheaper, I'll probably go with that, going forward. ?

I used the HW C4 it’s not a direct fit but you can stretch it enough. The fins also get in the way of tower pin (K6s) as you can kinda see in the pic...

04F34215-E496-49B1-ADB4-0A84BB2766A4.jpeg

I used the HW C4 it’s not a direct fit but you can stretch it enough. The fins also get in the way of tower pin (K6s) as you can kinda see in the pic...

View attachment 82899
That's the problem I had. I stretched and bent it only for the roll hoop pin to get in the way ?

Surely there must be a made-to-fit fan and heatsink out there for a 4985 size can??

I went lazy as well. You can stretch the heat sink around the motor and zip tie it down.
View attachment 82880
I know I need to re-solder the wires! Just to show as an example.
This looks like a neat fit. I reckon I'll end up replicating this if I can't find a made-to-fit fan out there. Thanks fellas ?

I've gone 2 different routes so far for the HW1650, as well as the similar sized Spektrum 1250.

Yes, the Arrma heatsink does fit the HW1650, but clearance was a bit of the issue due to the fins on the bottom of it. I also don't own a grinder strong enough to take care of them, nor was I going to use a file for 2hrs (lol).

On the HW1650 I'm running a Yeah Racing 1/8 dual heatsink with twin 30mm WTF fans. I had to slowly stretch the heat sink and test fit constantly to get the right curve for the top and bottom pieces. I then used longer screws (I forget what size) to mount them together. I positioned it just right so that I only had to trim a small portion of the body clip for the roll cage to get everything to fit right.

With the Spektrum 1250 I used a de-adonized HW C4 heatsink with the fan off the K8 cooler. They're both 50mm but the Arrma one seemed to push more air. I would've went with the Arrma heatsink, but again, fitting to the chassis was an issue, as well as the height being an issue with the lower Talion body.

The Talion is still a build in progress, So I haven't ran it yet, but I've beaten the hell out of the Kraton that the HW1650 is in and it's worked and held up very well.

I'm also in the process of working with a good buddy to come up with our own fan setups for the common motors used for off-road bashing, inckuding the 4985. As a matter of fact I just got a new 50mm fan in yesterday that should prove to be far more durable and move WAY more air than what's on either of these mltors now. Need to do a lot of testing between us...

MORE TO COME! ???????

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1567999327973.jpg
    FB_IMG_1567999327973.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 360
  • 20190919_063523.jpg
    20190919_063523.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 367
  • 20200618_020420.jpg
    20200618_020420.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 324
  • 20200615_184649.jpg
    20200615_184649.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 310
I've gone 2 different routes so far for the HW1650, as well as the similar sized Spektrum 1250.

Yes, the Arrma heatsink does fit the HW1650, but clearance was a bit of the issue due to the fins on the bottom of it. I also don't own a grinder strong enough to take care of them, nor was I going to use a file for 2hrs (lol).

On the HW1650 I'm running a Yeah Racing 1/8 dual heatsink with twin 30mm WTF fans. I had to slowly stretch the heat sink and test fit constantly to get the right curve for the top and bottom pieces. I then used longer screws (I forget what size) to mount them together. I positioned it just right so that I only had to trim a small portion of the body clip for the roll cage to get everything to fit right.

With the Spektrum 1250 I used a de-adonized HW C4 heatsink with the fan off the K8 cooler. They're both 50mm but the Arrma one seemed to push more air. I would've went with the Arrma heatsink, but again, fitting to the chassis was an issue, as well as the height being an issue with the lower Talion body.

The Talion is still a build in progress, So I haven't ran it yet, but I've beaten the hell out of the Kraton that the HW1650 is in and it's worked and held up very well.

I'm also in the process of working with a good buddy to come up with our own fan setups for the common motors used for off-road bashing, inckuding the 4985. As a matter of fact I just got a new 50mm fan in yesterday that should prove to be far more durable and move WAY more air than what's on either of these mltors now. Need to do a lot of testing between us...

MORE TO COME! ???????
Nice set up! Where did you get the fan covers for the dual fan system?

What mods need to be made to fit the Max6 4985SL combo to the Outcast 6s V4? I was thinking about upgrading, but didn’t know if this system would fit without doing a bunch of modifications. Any advice would be appreciated.

What mods need to be made to fit the Max6 4985SL combo to the Outcast 6s V4? I was thinking about upgrading, but didn’t know if this system would fit without doing a bunch of modifications. Any advice would be appreciated.
That’s an 86-87mm can so it should fit. I have an 85mm can in my Typhon 6s and no issues.

It fits well, the only mod you'll have to do is cut a notch in the side guard to accommodate the longer can. I used some longer screws when fitting the motor to the slider mount too but that isn't really necessary

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-notorious-6s-build-log-full-upgrade-list.23182/post-319122

How do you like the HW combo? Is it worth the money? I haven’t had with my stock system yet, still pretty fresh though!
I got mine for around £200 brand new, which isn't too bad for it's spec here in the UK

I'm pretty happy with it as it has massive amounts of torque and tuneability over the BLX185 system

I've had trouble trying to find a heatsink with fan to fit the 4985 motor whilst clearing the roll hoop pin. The biggest problem though are the Max6 ESC fans. The blades break constantly! Although there are mods to help prevent this

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back