Senton HW Max10 SCT Cogging bad?? New.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfisher0777

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
I just bought a HW MAX10 SCT ESC for my Senton and it coggs like crazy on dead stop acceleration. My castle SW4 was on this truck before with no issues. Just put the castle in my sons new Slash. Is this ESC bad? Should I return it for another one or scratch it all together?

Castle uses more mosfets in their esc’s. It’s just a higher quality brand. If it’s really excessive and seems unnatural than I’d call whoever you bought it from.

I have a 25t pinion gear but since my Castle SW4 didn't cog at all what so ever...I expected something similar. Minor cogging at most and thats based on my experience with cheap $38 dollar Readyosky 120amp 4s esc I had recently tried out, but it fried when I got it wet. (not waterproof). I just expected it to cog less than the cheap esc...not cog more.

It came with 2 extra caps (capacitors I think?) by adding those would that make any difference? I believe these are the 2 external BEC

Last edited:
Has anyone else with a HW MAX10 SCT 120a had ANY issues at all with COGGING?

Every sensorless ESC will cog to come degree. If they didn't, they wouldn't have invented sensored ones. As you overgear a sensorless motor, the cogging will get worse. If you feel it is that bad then I would try to get a warranty replacement. I have two Max10 SCT ESC's. I've also had an Castle SW4 (smooth but a dog crap BEC) and I have two Castle Mamba X's,which are twice the cost as the Max10 SCT. All I can say is that the Max10 SCT is a lot smoother than the BLX100. It still cogs a little from a dead stop. I am running a 17t pinion in my Granite and an 18t pinion in my BRCC. This is the BRCC when the BLX100 was in it:

Here is a running vid. You can hear and see the cogging:

Can you post a video of your cogging?

I have one on the way, but it's still a week or so out. You're starting to make me nervous about my investment though.

Don’t be. 25T pinion is really tall. Either that or if being faulty is causing it most likely. I have this system in my Granite and so does Bickety...both of ours absolutely rip but we aren’t running tall gears.

I run the Max10 SCT RTR in my Stampede 4x4 geared 14/52 on 3s with Duratrax Lockups and I have zero cogging. If the weather gets nice I could easily toss it in the Typhon and see if I get any cogging or anything.

But I think you go a dud bud ?

When I first finished my brushless conversion to my mega, I had a 20t on it as I waited for others in the mail. It did cog to a point it wouldn’t really try to move when wanting to test it in my room at the time. I didn’t try to go full throttle though of course. Put the 15t on it and have never seen any sort of cogging at all. I was using a 35c battery At the time too which I’ve heard could’ve made a difference with it being geared that tall but never tried another. On a side note I have a Hot Racing adjustable motor mount and 17t pinion ready to go into my senton. Feels like it should be about the sweet spot for my setup. Haven’t got too much run time in on it yet with the 15t as it though. Just to clarify I’m using a max10 sct as well

Figured it might help to add my opinion on the esc so far too. I have only had the pleasure of running it about 4-5 times and each time was pleased with how smooth and quick the setup feels. I was worried about my purchases at first considering I could’ve gone the kit breaker route and snagged a blx 100 system for my senton mega brushless conversion. My buddy has a senton blx and was surprised as well with how smooth and quick it seemed compared to his stock blx. As long as this continues to last I have no regrets and See myself buying more in the future. It took almost 3 weeks to get from banggood.com for 66 dollars Which also had me a little worried but so far so good.

Thank you guys for your replies. I will make a video if I think Im going to have to return it to make sure this is the problem. Do you guys think that it could be the motor? I have the Castle 1415 2400kv in it. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

There has been a new issue though. When I took it out tonight to run in my driveway, When I first turned it on to run it cogged as usual and then shut off completely. After going thru that a few times I got it to run without shutting down by easing into the throttle and then it didn't shutoff after that as if it was 'ok after warming up' or something. It was about 30 degrees outside.

I Don't have a huge amount of experience with various brushless systems but maybe the 2400kv and tall gearing really needs a big battery. Were your tests with a 3s-4s battery or just a 2s? Going down that low in KV allows the 4s as I understand it, and may actually need the juice to act efficient so to speak. Just kind of brainstorming here as I am still learning new things every day in this great hobby as well.

So I found the solution! The HW Max10 SCT comes with a little capacitor pack. This is not connected to the esc right out of the box. The instructions manual describes this part very poorly. So, anyway, I soldered in the cap pack to the esc power input wires that connect to the battery. That action kept the esc from shutting off when cogging. The cogging problem itself was drastically reduced. Then I went into the settings on the esc and turned the punch down from five to three. Now it runs perfect.

I'm glad you guys helped me out here or I would have just returned it for a new one and would still have the same problem. Thanks, y'all!

Ok, I read through the manual concerning this. You add the optional cappack when the ESC consistently reaches 85C or 185F. Keep an eye on temps now that you’ve added it and still going to run the 25T pinion.

Alright, so my max10 sct showed up. Do I need to solder in the extra capacitors? Is it a precautionary thing, or a reaction to a problem? I don't want to put it off and find out the hard way, but if I doesn't need it I don't wanna waste my time. Thoughts or recommendations? Thanks guys!

Alright, so my max10 sct showed up. Do I need to solder in the extra capacitors? Is it a precautionary thing, or a reaction to a problem? I don't want to put it off and find out the hard way, but if I doesn't need it I don't wanna waste my time. Thoughts or recommendations? Thanks guys!
View attachment 30667View attachment 30668
I didn’t put it in mine and have had no issues thus far.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back