HW Max5 issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marucci87

Reaction score
I had my first Hobbywing product fail yesterday…my Max5 800kv combo did something strange in the beginning of my first run last week when I went WOT, it shut off and turn back on by it’s self, I checked all connections, solder joints, and wiggled wires couldn’t replicate it. I went along the rest of the run without a hiccup, changed out the batteries after lvc and got through another run without a issue. Yesterday I started out fine about 5 min in it did it again…so I checked everything again and all was good (not the same set of batteries that it did it with the first time last week) all checked out good so I continued on and it did it again and then this time it didn’t turn back on. No lights on the esc, power button, and no fan. Finished out my day and when I got home I connected batteries and just the power button light lights up nothing else, power it off and the power button light turns off. Anyone experience this issue? I contacted HW so I’ll see what happens I’ve had it in the truck since October 2021 and it’s been flawless Up to now. I did do the firmware update right before the run this started but I don’t think it’s linked. I tried connecting my OTA programmer to it and nothing.

Aside from a bad intermittent connector somewhere else, a Faulty power switch?:unsure:
Can we remove wet running from the equation here?

Aside from a bad intermittent connector somewhere else, a Faulty power switch?:unsure:
Can we remove wet running from the equation
Can we remove wet running from the equation here?
I never run this truck in any moisture, I checked the connectors with a volt meter before and after the connectors all good. What ever this issue is it only happen during WOT that’s what made me think bad connectors or solder joints.

No wet running. Awesome. (y)(y)

I could only see the Power Switch to focus on at this point.
Open it up?? What I would do at this point. You checked all else. Maybe a new switch needed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When it shuts off on its own, , does it also restart on its own, or do you need to press the switch button again to restart?
If it starts with the power switch only, either the switch is bad or you have a bad Lipo/ESC connection. Pretty much narrows it down to this.

Edited.

Last edited:
No wet running. Awesome. (y)(y)

I could only see the Power Switch to focus on at this point.
Open it up?? What I would do at this point. You checked all else. Maybe a new switch needed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When it shuts off on its own, , does it also restart on its own, or do you need to press the switch button again to restart?
If it starts with the power switch only, either the switch is bad or you have a bad Lipo/ESC connection. Pretty much narrows it down to this.

Edited.
It would turn off and on by it’s self, I would go WOT it would pull fall on its face but I never lost steering then I would hear the cell count start up then it would keep going. I’m using a flyshy noble transmitter and receiver so if it has power it has steering so avc waiting period. I’m going to check the switch and then maybe give up and set it in.

^^^Sounds like a bad switch. If the ESC reboots. Either way the issue lies somewhere with the ESC/Switch. IMHO.
Try an ESC reset next. If it will respond.
Which NB4 receiver you running???
None of them have a Surface RC Rx integrated Gyro that I know of. ( no AVC)
I have an NB4 myself.

Last edited:
^^^Sounds like a bad switch. If the ESC reboots. Either way the issue lies somewhere with the ESC/Switch. IMHO.
Try an ESC reset next. If it will respond.
Which NB4 receiver you running???
None of them have a Surface RC Rx integrated Gyro that I know of. ( no AVC)
I have an NB4 myself.
I ment to say it has no avc, so there isn’t a waiting period for the steering to turn on like the factory Spektrum radio system, yes the nb4 with the FGr4 v2 receiver…but the ESC does nothing at all, what I was saying in my last post is when It would act up it had steering the whole time but start moving again after the reboot. But the last time it did it I lost everything, no power to the receiver, loss of steering, no esc fan, OTA programmer won’t get power to even turn on and link to the phone, and no lights on the esc. I’m getting power going into the esc wheb I turn the power switch on so I think the esc is dead. The light in the power button switch turns on and off that’s the only signs of life it has. I’m wondering if this is a common fault they have?

:LOL: Yeah, I was confused what you were saying. for a second.
No Gyro initialization in this equation.(y)

Old post I know. @marucci87 any update?

What you are describing initially sounds like LVC, full WOT then loss of throttle and steering only?

But you mention ESC reboots as well so something is definitly up.

If the voltage pulls so low it forces a reboot this could be bad batteries, bad connection somewhere, or internally the ESC is just done. Connector solder joints all look solid?

If the unit has seem some pretty hard use it might just be its time, what gearing were you running?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back