Vorteks Hybrid Vorteks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished up Thing earlier this week. Changed diff fluids, rebuilt the shocks, replaced c-hubs/blocks, new S652 servo/steering rack and did a good deep cleaning. I swapped out the blown surpass 3665, 3050kv motor for a surpass 3670, 2650kv with an 18t pinion. It rips beautifully and runs cooler as well. I also lowered the front shocks (mojave 6s front shocks) about 8mm, now it handles better at speed and the front is not so jacked up.

Broke another 3s cvd axle on its first run so am done with them. I’ve broken three of these axles between two pairs. The sintered metal is cheap and not up to the task. Went back to stock driveshafts and they’ve been fine for the last couple of runs so should work until I can figure out something else.

E88381FD-E645-40A4-9662-7E0F77E06B0B.jpeg

F903383C-E331-441E-BDB9-FA47E0D96A68.jpeg

3B44FC6E-B69F-4306-93AC-D0C1DAB3669A.jpeg

79800CAA-75C9-4EC3-903B-63FDA00D01F1.jpeg

D014E102-D54B-4F05-90FB-94E7AFC0DF88.jpeg

Finished up Thing earlier this week. Changed diff fluids, rebuilt the shocks, replaced c-hubs/blocks, new S652 servo/steering rack and did a good deep cleaning. I swapped out the blown surpass 3665, 3050kv motor for a surpass 3670, 2650kv with an 18t pinion. It rips beautifully and runs cooler as well. I also lowered the front shocks (mojave 6s front shocks) about 8mm, now it handles better at speed and the front is not so jacked up.

Broke another 3s cvd axle on its first run so am done with them. I’ve broken three of these axles between two pairs. The sintered metal is cheap and not up to the task. Went back to stock driveshafts and they’ve been fine for the last couple of runs so should work until I can figure out something else.

View attachment 244261

View attachment 244262

View attachment 244263

View attachment 244265

View attachment 244266
Looks good. Like the red body better than stock.

Looks good. Like the red body better than stock.
Thank you sir, if only I hadn’t fiddlesticked it up 😂 fortunately it still functions as intended.

My hybrid Vorteks Thing has been a good car. A very good car. It was the second 3s Arrma that I got and my wife gave it to me for Father’s Day, 2021. I over powered it and have literally beat the crud out of it since it was new. After transforming my 3s hybrid Old Yeller into a V2, 4s car I realized how much I love the wider footprint and better suspension. That’s basically the perfect car for me. Right in between 3S and 6s pretty much.

So I’m doing the same thing with ‘Thing’ except I’m going to try 4s, V1 arms at first (I already have them). I think they’re a bit shorter so the footprint may run better with the short wheelbase chassis I’ll be using and standard towers. I’ll also put a wing on it. The Vorteks built-in wing is awful and ends up cracking the rear of the body from roof/rear end landings. I’ve seen a few other people put wings on their Vorteks and I like the way it looks. Specifically I will use the 4S OutKast wing with built-in wheelie bar.

I already have a new chassis, hubs, arms, metal diffs and spur and body (going with the red one I painted a while back). Not sure what I’m gonna do for the wheels. I’m wondering if the 4s outcast wheels will be too large looking? I’m also wondering if I’ll have to cut down the new CVDs I’ll get off of Jennings. If they’re too long to work with the v1 arms I’ll probably just get a set of v2 arms. I need to dig them out of storage and compare them to the car that I built. I believe that the old 4s Outkast was based on a SWB chassis? I’m curious how that worked for folks, if they felt that it was too short of a wheelbase.

It’ll be a fun little experimental project for me to play with over winter. Hell, could be perfect could suck. Good thing if it sucks it’ll be easy to modify. Dang it, I keep thinking about the tires. 2.8 MX28s may be too small. They are also freaking expensive. Yeah I think I will get a set of LP backflips. If I don’t like them they’ll work good on old yeller. Huh… maybe the copperhead2s would work better on the vorteks? Yeah this’ll be fun and give my mind some good ‘background’ pondering to drown out a little real life stress 😂

Well, she’s back to mostly stock. Just the TBone front bumper, granite front tower and method tires remain. I need all the upgrades for the 4s vorteks I’m building. The new Thing. It’ll be great 😊

E1250276-3CAD-421F-90A3-E37A9107FC45.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back