Vorteks Hybrid Vorteks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It works! I’ll spray some clear acrylic on back to fill in the scratches and also need mount it better. Since the Vorteks rear tower doesn’t utilize the stock body mount holes, I think I can cut down/modify an old stock 3s mount to securely attach the temp thing too. I think.

86449ED6-5548-4634-99FD-1F26FE6281EE.jpeg

11AB09F3-4182-475A-99EE-F09DDD41CE59.jpeg

When I was building my typhoon hybrid, ‘old yeller’, I wanted a really wide front bumper. The only one that fit the bill was the TBone, 3S typhon rear basher bumper. So I got one, put it on and it’s been great. One of the nice things about it is it flares out a bit on the sides acting a bit like droop screws, keeping the front shocks from hitting full extension and bottoming out.

Ive been running a regular T-bone bumper on the front but without the stock ring between the bumper and the shock tower. A screw broke off in there awhile back and I can’t mount it properly. So I decided to get one of the rear basher bumpers for Thing and love how it looks! It also helped much with the over extended front shock travel issue… it’s not so ‘nose up in the air’ anymore like it has been since I put a Granite front shock tower and Mojave shocks on.

6F03F3FC-3C6C-4130-A979-54321C73CA71.jpeg

29F663D2-F5CC-4788-B324-F48E81F788AA.jpeg

6271AEBC-FCE6-43FC-931B-F8377ACEB7A9.jpeg

E669E9AE-5DAA-46D3-A601-B3C5FA588438.jpeg

Last edited:
So I threw the power hobby raptors on the Vorteks. Hate ‘em. Turned Thing into a goofball of a car. So I took them off and put badlands back on. Wow! This car is unreal the amount of power it has 😀

Surpass 3665, 3050 kv.
Spectrum 130amp esc.
Arrma metal diff, spur and cvds on the rear.
6s mojave front shocks all the way around
Granite front shock tower
Badlands 2.8
S652 servo

Gotta love the hybrid vorteks Thing!
Are you running the Granite front shock towers in order to fit the Mojave shocks up front? What’s it do to the overall ride height?

I like the stance of my Vorteks now but want to get rid of the Proline shocks and go with some 6S shocks. Problem I’m finding with the Limitless rears on the front of the Vortkes are the springs - can’t find a suitable spring in the correct weight.

Going Mojave fronts all around would be easy as long as it doesn’t raise the car up too much.

Are you running the Granite front shock towers in order to fit the Mojave shocks up front? What’s it do to the overall ride height?

I like the stance of my Vorteks now but want to get rid of the Proline shocks and go with some 6S shocks. Problem I’m finding with the Limitless rears on the front of the Vortkes are the springs - can’t find a suitable spring in the correct weight.

Going Mojave fronts all around would be easy as long as it doesn’t raise the car up too much.
I have mojave front shocks all the way around and love how it drives. It did jack the front up some but for months it bugged me just a little. Yesterday I added a new bumper that limits bottom travel just enough so the shocks don’t over extend. It also reduces ride height about a quarter inch. Think I updated about it at the end of this thread…
Yeah I did, just above this post.

Well we decided, Thing and I, to go back to vorteks roots. I threw the stock wheels back on, which are practically brand new, and I am going to enjoy some parking lot bashing while running the mini infraction.

Carrie made me a really cool compass for this one 😃

C8AEAB25-0845-473D-81C9-4404FBE82380.jpeg

CB92D554-F508-41D9-A952-B58005655165.jpeg

51058ECC-D19F-4DB2-891A-6BE32805FA0D.jpeg

2DA75D4B-9AED-4387-A415-B285EC6B9698.jpeg

I'm sure it's been asked and answered but, does the Firma 130A ESC mount right up on the stock platform? Same mount as the Firma 100A?
According to Spektrum's Site, both Firma 100 and 130 have the same Dimensions/Footprint. (L/57mm, W/37mm, H/38mm)
Go to the Spektrum Firma ESC site to confirm.
Hope this helps.:cool:

According to Spektrum's Site, both Firma 100 and 130 have the same Dimensions/Footprint. (L/57mm, W/37mm, H/38mm)
Go to the Spektrum Firma ESC site to confirm.
Hope this helps.:cool:
Yes the 130 will mount up on the receiver box or down low on the chassis. All the mounting holes line up either way.

I'm sure it's been asked and answered but, does the Firma 130A ESC mount right up on the stock platform? Same mount as the Firma 100A?
It mounts a little bit better backwards. So the motor wires are right next to the servo the way I do it. When installed the proper way it smushed the capacitors a bit against the servo. Not much but just enough to bug me a bit.

Thing is getting a make over. She was feeling kinda fugly. Motors fried from running it over 200f, plastics are tired, bearings getting crunchy…yeah she’s getting a makeover. It’s going slow with 1 working hand but she’s basket case status now spread out between several boxes.

C95DBCBF-EE27-48E6-9171-3425462D09D0.jpeg

Slowly getting in back together, mostly finished the front end today . One thing that drives me nuts about the 3S diffs is how much crap gets between the chassis and shock tower, turning the outer diff grease to gunk within a few weeks. So I figured I’d try to seal it with the some gasket maker. I’ll do the rear metal diff the same way, just waiting for some little tiny TBR bearings for inside the differential to get here. If it works, great. If not oh well.

The base car is a Vorteks but has Granite front shock towers and Mojave front shocks. It’s always rode a little high up front so for the for first time I used medical grade tubing (from my last surgery) to lower the shock height 5mm. It was easier than I thought it would be. I did manage to bend both shock rods on the front shocks so I had to order some.

As I was taking it apart I realized Thing still has the original S651 servo. I got the car Father’s Day 2020… I thought I had replaced it with a s652 like I usually do, but I must’ve started doing that towards the end of the year. After everything I’ve put this car through the stock servo still works and that cracks me up. It doesn’t work great though so I went ahead and threw in an S652. First I opened it up and made sure everything was greased with Reefs servo gear grease and working smoothly. Since I started doing that with every servo I haven’t had one die.

E6863DC8-EC3F-4CAD-8D0C-099841A69818.jpeg

D0E034D7-15C0-44BA-B3A6-565E26CBF16C.jpeg

9D846A3C-DC3D-4355-8DE5-771D24E4968F.jpeg

974AF65A-412C-4414-9792-F48F91F95F32.jpeg

B19CC3D7-DCD9-49E1-B3F3-DBADFCD2A45E.jpeg

You sure the vorteks has been out that long, the new one I mean!? No way, time flies boys!! 😳
Yup. It was my second Arrma. Time does fly lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back