Hydro dipped a couple of Arrma Typhon parts for practice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMballistic

ROSSA ~ Officially fast.
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Been practicing some hydro dipping again just to try to keep improving and learning.
I had a few parts from my 6S Typhon laying around that weren't going to be needed again so I decided to dip them in a blue water bead film that I hadn't used before.

The first part I dipped was the radio receiver box lid.
20200529_195326.jpg

Above is my second attempt as the first was worse than that so I rubbed it back down, re-sprayed my gloss white base coat and dipped again.

If you look at the part in the pictures above you can see white areas, ...well that is where the base coat is coming through the film. It was perfect after I dipped it and pulled it from the water but then when gently rinsing it afterwards (which you do to get rid of a slimy layer) the film washed off in those areas.
Basically my film hadn't adhered properly in those areas and I'd suffered under-activation.

Still I decided to clear lacquer that part the next day and put it on eBay in case anyone wanted a "trick" looking receiver box for their Typhon, Talion, Kraton or other 6S model. :p

The next two parts I dipped were done in exactly the same manner; water temperature at 28 degrees C, same paints, same film etc but this time I used a different activator spray (K2 Brew) as well as did an extra pass of activator when activating before dipping.

The first part I dipped this time which was a Typhon servo mount came out great so I checked that it wasn't a fluke by repeating the process in exactly the same way for a Typhon battery tray top brace. Worked much better.
Happy with the results I let them dry off after rinsing and clear coated them the following day.
20200604_113501.jpg

20200604_113442.jpg

Also put them up for sale on eBay UK as well.
No buyers yet but we'll see plus I did it just for the fun aspect as well as to get more practice so it's all good. (y)

Looks good.

You can do that with an airbrush, you paint your base color, let it dry. Then mist water on to get droplets. Spray white from one direction and a very low angle. You can hit the opposite direction with black but it's harder to do two colors. Let it dry. It will give you the water drop effect. I did it to a PC case once.

Looks good.

You can do that with an airbrush, you paint your base color, let it dry. Then mist water on to get droplets. Spray white from one direction and a very low angle. You can hit the opposite direction with black but it's harder to do two colors. Let it dry. It will give you the water drop effect. I did it to a PC case once.
Thanks the finish came out good on these.

Yes I know about that technique thanks as I have done that before. :D
Not my best attempt but a test piece I kept, ...I did it with paint I was using up that I had so it's orange. Would of looked better in blue for definite but I love experimenting with paints.
20200605_031057.jpg

Also a practice hydro dipped part which was done entirely with just paints on the surface of the water rather than the more modern way with films/activator.
20200605_031038.jpg

They'd probably look a little better if clear lacquered over but I didn't have any when I did them so never bothered. (y)

Practice makes perfect, seems you are getting the technique figured out! ?

I also like hydro dipping ? but I don't get it as neat as you ?
but good practice makes perfect and immediately gained a few ideas ?

Practice makes perfect, seems you are getting the technique figured out! ?
Thanks.
I've been doing hydro dipping for over 5 years on & off just at home with the most basic of set ups; plastic washing up bowls/tubs etc and spray can activators.
It's not as easy as people on YouTube will have you believe but with practice it does get easier.

I also like hydro dipping ? but I don't get it as neat as you ?
but good practice makes perfect and immediately gained a few ideas ?
Just practice as much as possible. I dip all sorts of rubbish just to try to test different water temps, dip different shapes, use different films and activators etc.
I only just joined a forum and I think this thread might help you or any other dippers on here as it certainly helped me with some tips. (y)
Link: https://k2forums.com/discussion/10060/troubleshooting-your-first-few-dips

Where's the Ebay link..??
Not sure if a link is allowed but UK eBay item n#324188055441 and 324182149114. You can find it also if you type "Arrma Typhon hydro dipped" in the search bar.

Not really in it to make money as I just used the parts for practice and don't need them now so thought someone else might like them for their own Arrma. Any money I get from the sale will go to buying some more pinion gears for my speed runners. :D

That water drop is sick. A body would be badass
Yep I agree thanks. (y)
I've been looking into doing a body shell but there is a lot of things that can go wrong. If you make a mistake dipping like I did with the receiver box lid at first you can always sand it back to the base coat and re-do it but you can't do that on a clear body shell which has to be dipped from the inside.

Have a look @Mr.Duke thread on here which is excellent for showing you the results of dipping body shells that can be achieved with some practice & hard work.
Link: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/hydrodipping-rc-bodies-how-to.10765/

Very nice man. I hope you don't think I was detracting at all. For that definitely wasn't my intent. I have looked at hydrodipping, but haven't even considered trying it. You definitely have the technique down.

Very nice man. I hope you don't think I was detracting at all. For that definitely wasn't my intent. I have looked at hydrodipping, but haven't even considered trying it. You definitely have the technique down.
Not at all. Welcome your comments. :)
I think if you like painting you should give hydro dipping a go as it adds another skill to your painting imo.

For less than $50 you could get everything you need to try hydro dipping so it's not going to break the bank to give it a go either. If you do decide to give it a go try to find a company that does hydro dipping and buy your film & activator from them. They'll know what activator works best with what film plus will most likely sell decent quality films unlike some of the kits you can buy from eBay etc.

Then all you'll need is a suitable size tub/container to match the sort of size parts you'll be dipping and a cheap thermometer to check the water temp ~ ideal water temp for dipping is 27-30 degrees C (80-86 Fahrenheit). (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back