Hydrodipping RC Bodies (How To)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@slick2500 inspired Kraton body just came out of the water

B58A47CB-B5BD-4DE1-BFE6-931D692F8399.jpeg

I think I’m going to go bright aluminum for the base coat followed by black to back it.

I did have a slight blowout on the passenger side but this body is going to see hard bashing and end up with some battle wounds so I’m not upset about it at all

252D3742-DFF6-4934-B521-9F39AFFCC058.jpeg

@slick2500 inspired Kraton body just came out of the water

View attachment 196694
I think I’m going to go bright aluminum for the base coat followed by black to back it.

I did have a slight blowout on the passenger side but this body is going to see hard bashing and end up with some battle wounds so I’m not upset about it at all

View attachment 196696
I tried looking for that film on eBay and couldn't find it again. :(

I tried looking for that film on eBay and couldn't find it again. :(
Dude…. I wish I had known or I’d have dipped another pattern and saved this piece for you. I’ve had it since I dipped yours years ago and figured I’d use it up
Oh No Reaction GIF

These were the other 2 patterns I was considering but the angry shrooms won out
4AFD353E-7C9A-44BF-A96F-ACDD7DCE9555.jpeg
77AC8D88-CC3A-4FFC-B867-847BB6BB9955.jpeg

Last edited:
Dude…. I wish I had known or I’d have dipped another pattern and saved this piece for you. I’ve had it since I dipped yours years ago and figured I’d use it up
Oh No Reaction GIF

These were the other 2 patterns I was considering but the angry shrooms won out
View attachment 196703View attachment 196704

I still have that body laying around, It has taken a beating over the years.
20220130_193226.jpg

Follow the @Mr.Duke technique and you'll be in great shape, friend.
I'm only a guy that sneaks in every once in a while but I'll admit that Mr Duke has done more for me and the progress of my RC hobby than I can even describe.
When I get back in here (should be soon enough) I look forward to all the great fun and greater friends I experienced a couple years ago.
🍻🍻

Anyone do this as a side project? Looking for a hydro dipped B6.3.d body, with some Film I can choose from a website of one's choosing.

What a schlepp to find friendly and happy designs.....

I do have a skull aready - literally carrying it around on my neck all the time. 😋

Last edited:
Anyone do this as a side project? Looking for a hydro dipped B6.3.d body, with some Film I can choose from a website of one's choosing.
You can do it. I have faith in you.

I forgot to post final pics of the latest hydro dipped projec

Looks like you definitely have it down to a science. Does that one have taped and masked windows, or did you repaint them black from inside or something? Looks good - wondering if you could leave them clear that way if that was your preference.

Looks like you definitely have it down to a science. Does that one have taped and masked windows, or did you repaint them black from inside or something? Looks good - wondering if you could leave them clear that way if that was your preference.
I just used blue painters tape to mask off the insides of the windows while dipping and then removed it to apply the black backer paint. For clear windows just remove the tape for the final step when you remove the clear protective outside film that comes on the body

Just finished reading every post. I'm intimidated but also somewhat encouraged. So here's my idea and I'm hoping for maybe a little thoughts on how to go...
I want to do a Comp Wagon body. It's body only, no bed. I'd love some heavy metal flake. Planning on doing skulls (pirate theme of sorts). I'm afraid that due to the height of the cab...getting the print all the way to the roof might prove difficult. So, I'm thinking of doing the top half black, print on the hood and sides/rear. Grill will also be painted so don't need the graphics on there.

So...with that in mind, how would you dip? Rear to front or front to rear? Also, would you do clear flake first and dip over that or back the dip with the clear flake before backing with color? Or I back with a metallic color? Here's the body and this example has the upper half painted black like I'm thinking of doing...black will be black and where it's silver I want the dip graphics...the graphics, and the backing color...
Comp wagon.jpg

pirate skulls.jpg

rootbeer.jpg

Last edited:
My sinceres
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Sorry about that, I didn’t see your earlier post you made on the 17th until now.

Painting the top half of the cab black would definitely be the right call with that much surface area and even if you could get the pocket of air out, it would stretch the image too far IMO.
It’s difficult to say which way to dip the body (front first vs rear first) and my suggestion would be to fill a tub with just water and practice different angle entries to see how the water contacts the inside. You’ll more than likely want to dip front first as that’s the most visually pleasing section to look at and the start point of entry Is most times the best for image adhesion and detail. If the image starts to fall apart or stretch it would fade and look better to have at the rear of the cab vs the front.

For flake, I’d put a couple light coats on after the dipping process and before final backing color simply because some paints don’t play well when you’re trying to get the image to adhere to them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back