Hydrodipping RC Bodies (How To)

polishdon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Senton
Tried my first body dip yesterday, definitely not as easy as Duke makes it look!!! I had the same issue with 3dplank with not being able to get it to adhere to the roof. Not sure if that was my angle or the speed I was doing it. I also got some of the film on the outside of the body, how are you guys making sure that doesn't happen?

Mr.Duke

~ Formerly From Hazzard County ~
Staff member
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s, Notorious, Outcast 6s, Talion
It's almost impossible to keep from getting some of the image on the outside during the dip, especially around the edges. All the bodies I've done come with the clear protective film on the outside, but if you dip one that doesn't come with it, you'll need to mask the outside of the body with tape to keep that from happening. What brand body was it? If you can post a picture of the roof and I can try and see what the image did around the area it didn't adhere to.

polishdon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Senton
It's almost impossible to keep from getting some of the image on the outside during the dip, especially around the edges. All the bodies I've done come with the clear protective film on the outside, but if you dip one that doesn't come with it, you'll need to mask the outside of the body with tape to keep that from happening. What brand body was it? If you can post a picture of the roof and I can try and see what the image did around the area it didn't adhere to.
Ahhhh ok, I used a body Iโ€™ve had laying around for about 20 years, no film on those. Lol. After I dipped it I assumed I should have masked the exterior too.

Attachments

Mr.Duke

Staff member
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Looks like the image stretched and came apart at the rooflines . My experience has been that pre-color film doesn't have the elasticity that black only film has. I'm not sure why, but that's the main reason why I try to just use black and clear film patterns and color the background with paint as backing colors.
For a blue flame affect it's more forgiving to dip it in a black and clear film then back with Tamiya PS3 for the blue, that way the color is much more consistent and controllable.

Last edited:

polishdon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Senton
Looks like the image stretched and came apart at the rooflines . My experience has been that pre-color film doesn't have the elasticity that black only film has. I'm not sure why, but that's the main reason why I try to just use black and clear film patterns and color the background with paint as backing colors.
For a blue flame affect it's more forgiving to dip it in a black and clear film then back with Tamiya PS3 for the blue, that way the color is much more consistent and controllable.
Interesting, much thanks for the advice!!!

3dplank

Reaction score
Thanks. Thank you for taking the time to make a video, and show me how to do it. I am doing my son's shoes next. I also have a few guns I am going to do.

Mr.Duke

Staff member
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Did a smax remo. Small body. Came out alright.
Clear flame pattern turned out nice.๐Ÿ‘

I canโ€™t tell yโ€™all how how much it pleases me to see others giving this method a try.

If anyone has any questions please let me know and Iโ€™ll help out anyway that I can.

Mr.Duke

Staff member
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's

Full Throttle R/C

Kraton v4 6s build
Premium Member