Hydrodipping RC Bodies (How To)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up pulling the Talion sticker and replacing it with this instead. I think it blends a little better overall given I'm trying to mitigate the flaw best I can.

I'm totally doing this thank you for the quick video seems stupid simple! Can't wait to show off my new body!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Remember when doing it is all about the angle, getting that air bubble out is the really tricky part.

I ended up pulling the Talion sticker and replacing it with this instead. I think it blends a little better overall given I'm trying to mitigate the flaw best I can.

View attachment 32833
That decal on the front looks spot on because it's black and white, and the headlights work or the same reason. My suggestions, one: take off the windshield decal. The pattern you used is awesome, and the more you can see, the better. That decal looks to animated and just takes away from it. Two: black out the red areas on the side windows, and they would look more realistic. They suit the car well because of their small profile, and blend nicely. The dip is a stand alone feature, and the less you take away from it, the better. Anyway you look at it, the overall appearance is amazing. Nice choice on that pattern.

Nice jobs. I've ordered some. Question, what was the purpose of the masking tape on the body of the first dip?
To keep the film from coming through the holes and getting on the outside of the body would be my guess. I don't know if the Redcat bodies come with masking film on them.

The blue tape serves a couple purposes. First is that the redcat body comes with an outer masking film but it's thin and when I use a body reamer it likes to peel up quite a bit in that area. To keep any potential overspray from ending up on the outside of the body, I just peel the film off around the holes and retape the outside with blue tape to seal everything up.
The second reason was to get an idea of what color might look best for the base coat and flame color. I had a few different paint colors and my mind wasn't completely made up on the red, so the different color tapes on the outside gave me an idea of what the final product might look like.

IMG_9332.PNG

I've now spent an hour looking at several sites to find the design I envision. I will be doing this soon. Did you purchase one linear meter of film?
Thank you very much for making this tutorial. In the past I'd saved many videos but they all used just paint on water with no design fim. I even searched for a local service to maybe do a body for me but doing it myself is much more approachable than I thought. (y)(y)???

Everything I've bought, has been off eBay from this company https://www.hydrographicfilmsupplies.com/

Both times I bought 1 linear meter which measures 19" x 38"
Thanks. I looked at their designs and there are a couple I like. I also appreciate that you've "tested" the quality of this company and I'd feel safe buying from them.
Otoh, I found some more designs and one or two specific to what I'm looking to do but so far not US companies. For the most part, they generally sell the same designs at most of them at Ebay but there are some really cool custom stuff I found from other companies and not sold at Ebay.
I like the old school rat fink style, hot rod graphics. I also like pinup girls and 50s Playboy girls stuff. They all go hand in hand like hot rods and drive-in smash burgers and dangerous chili.
I love the black graphic with choices of backing.
I think if I start with a clear Typhon body I'd be able to avoid the bubbles but i also want to try something new on my Typhon that resembles a short bed truck.
I have plans and by spring will be using your advice and tutorial to execute a slick looking lid to show off. I'm excited that you've made this approachable to me.
Excellent job documenting your work. I feel like I owe you. ???

Nah, no one owes me anything on here. I'm just doing my part at making a contribution to the community or anyone looking to try new methods for customizing their rc. I get just as much knowledge, entertainment and feedback from everyone here to feel compelled to share whatever tips or tricks I learn and can pass along

Nah, no one owes me anything on here. I'm just doing my part at making a contribution to the community or anyone looking to try new methods for customizing their rc. I get just as much knowledge, entertainment and feedback from everyone here to feel compelled to share whatever tips or tricks I learn and can pass along
Just wanted to express how much I've been waiting for this. I'm in now with both feet.

Those bodies are killer. Especially the talion. Love the Dia de los Muertos theme.
I think a good thing to keep in mind before dipping is to decide which end to dip first so that air may escape more easily.
I noticed on the redcat body, the rear looked like it would trap more air and opposite on the talion. If those ends were dipped first, the air pockets may have escaped easier and at a shallower angle. Just my two cents. I so badly want to try this.
Thank you so much for the step by step.

Those bodies are killer. Especially the talion. Love the Dia de los Muertos theme.
I think a good thing to keep in mind before dipping is to decide which end to dip first so that air may escape more easily.
I noticed on the redcat body, the rear looked like it would trap more air and opposite on the talion. If those ends were dipped first, the air pockets may have escaped easier and at a shallower angle. Just my two cents. I so badly want to try this.
Thank you so much for the step by step.
Looking forward to what you do. I'm pumped up too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back