Hydrodipping RC Bodies (How To)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got everything ready bout to do mine.. Just dbl checking instructions will say this print I got isn't as bring as the one online.. but it will do for a first time body.

will return with pics

Edit lol.....

20190324_084545.jpg

Now I'm gonna order some spray paint and color it neon green lol

Last edited:
got everything ready bout to do mine.. Just dbl checking instructions will say this print I got isn't as bring as the one online.. but it will do for a first time body.

will return with pics

Edit lol.....

View attachment 33589

Now I'm gonna order some spray paint and color it neon green lol
I like what you did making sure the driver can still see out?. I've watched many videos on hydro dipping, and realized how difficult it might be. @Mr.Duke made it look pretty easy, but still had some trouble on that second body. Good on you for trying it out. The deep rectangular box of the Notorious body, would have been difficult for a seasoned pro. Regarding paint, I would try to find something that works with the darker shades of green in your pattern, and lay a light base. It could turn out looking decent. ??

Instead of applying the window stickers to the outside, would it work to mask the windows on the inside and then remove these once you've finished the dipping and painting? I guess you'd have to gently cut around the masks as they'd be covered over with the dipping film?

TraverseCity420
I just received a roll of the same pattern, but nothing to use it on, YET! I wonder about putting it on the outside, and then covering with some kind of clear coat:unsure: ????

I like @deaf leopard suggestion as I much prefer the windows being see through on R/c models.

Another suggestion I'd like to make to some of you who are trying hydro dipping for the first time is this. Try to find something to practice on before trying it on your bodyshells. The film can be removed if you balls it up completely but it is a PITA.

I've used all sorts to practice on in the past like cassette tape boxes, old mobile phone cases, random pieces of metal/plastic but just recently I've been using speed shapes as they're pretty cheap plus it's nice to keep the practice parts. In case you don't know speed shapes are plastic/ABS shapes that are generally used by paint shops and hydro dipping companies to show case colours/patterns etc.

Here are some recent ones I did below ~ gloss white base coat, olive green base coat and gold base coat.
03 Speedshape practice.jpg

Finished speed shapes ~ first two dipped with black snakes skin film and the last one dipped with digital camo film.
04 Black snake skin and a Digital camo dip.jpg

(y)

I wonder about putting it on the outside, and then covering with some kind of clear coat:unsure: ????
This is how hydro dipping is typically done.
Part is primed, then the base coat of paint is applied, the part is dipped with the hydrographic film and then once dry it is clear coated over with a good clear lacquer.

This is how hydro dipping is typically done.
Part is primed, then the base coat of paint is applied, the part is dipped with the hydrographic film and then once dry it is clear coated over with a good clear lacquer.
This is what I had seen as well. I noticed how hard it was when @Mr.Duke did it, submerging the body roof down, under the pattern. His results were much better than I expected. Doing it on the outside, would mean that my pattern would only last through one pack, maybe two if I stop closing my eyes every time I jump?

Last edited:
Yeah the noto body with the roof makes a huge air bubble that fiddlesticked my whole dip up.. :\

Like I said tho no biggie you live you learn you buy another clear body down the road and learn to spray paint ;)

Alright folks,
I currently have more than enough bodies for my own personal rigs, but I'm kinda itching to hydrodip more Arrma clear bodies.

Any requests on what body I should dip next with intention to purchase if it turns out as good or better than the first 2?

Will it be easier or harder to dip something this small. Similar sized body on top of the Outcast.
20190328_220510.jpg

I've still got enough film pattern from the last 2 to dips to easily cover the smaller body, if you so choose

Whatever works best for you, I'm easy to work with, just let me know and we'll get it done. If it turns out jacked up, I'll eat it and try again. The enjoyment and experience I get out of it makes it worth it for me, no matter the outcome.

I've still got enough film pattern from the last 2 to dips to easily cover the smaller body, if you so choose

Whatever works best for you, I'm easy to work with, just let me know and we'll get it done. If it turns out jacked up, I'll eat it and try again. The enjoyment and experience I get out of it makes it worth no matter the outcome.
Okay man, I probably won't order it until tomorrow though. Had an unexpected event happen here over the weekend and had to dip into my rc stuff fund to take a road trip.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back