Hydrodipping RC Bodies (How To)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0503201834_Film1.jpg

This is really great work. I am wondering about pre-painting the bed with a matt black. The challenge would be to not get any paint on the rest of the shell so that it could be dipped? Thoughts?
Maybe paint the exterior on the bed with a textured paint to simulate a bedliner?

If you paint the exterior, you risk scratches, if you paint the interior, a matte finish, will still look glossy when viewed from the outside. :unsure:

If you paint the exterior, you risk scratches, if you paint the interior, a matte finish, will still look glossy when viewed from the outside. :unsure:
They make that clear spray now that is supposed to give it a matte finish.

Awesome thread guys. Lots of great dips in here :)

I'm totally new to this but I bought a dip kit with a couple different films to dip my chassis and new body for my Typhon 6S.

This is my first shot. It didn't come out too bad but there are imperfections like wrinkles and some small spots where there was too much activator so little bits of the ink washed off. I'm using activator from a spray bottle which is my problem. I find it hard to get aerosol here.

Here's a pic before a clear coat.
PXL_20210323_010233633.jpg

I know it's just going to get bashed off but whatever. It's a fun hobby so why not. Film is cheap :p

I'm going to practice dipping the inside of my old Typhon body a few times before I dip the new clear body. I don't want to mess it up lol. I want to get some aerosol activator as well.

Awesome thread guys. Lots of great dips in here :)

I'm totally new to this but I bought a dip kit with a couple different films to dip my chassis and new body for my Typhon 6S.

This is my first shot. It didn't come out too bad but there are imperfections like wrinkles and some small spots where there was too much activator so little bits of the ink washed off. I'm using activator from a spray bottle which is my problem. I find it hard to get aerosol here.

Here's a pic before a clear coat.
View attachment 134164

I know it's just going to get bashed off but whatever. It's a fun hobby so why not. Film is cheap :p

I'm going to practice dipping the inside of my old Typhon body a few times before I dip the new clear body. I don't want to mess it up lol. I want to get some aerosol activator as well.
You could get a piece of 2-3mm thick transparent plastic and make a chassis cover over the dip.

You could get a piece of 2-3mm thick transparent plastic and make a chassis cover over the dip.
Yeah that is what I linked to above.
This is that stuff placed over a graphic.
IMG_20120229_160340-1.jpg

Quick question for you mrduke, I didn’t read every post so maybe you did answer this already, but doesn’t hydrodip film have a certain front and back that go on a certain way? And wondering wouldn’t you have the back facing out dipping the inside of a lexan body? Or do both sides look the same?

Quick question for you mrduke, I didn’t read every post so maybe you did answer this already, but doesn’t hydrodip film have a certain front and back that go on a certain way? And wondering wouldn’t you have the back facing out dipping the inside of a lexan body? Or do both sides look the same?
Some do yes.
No the film will only stick on the one side as it has an adhesive on it.
If I remember correctly if you dip a body in a film that has words, logos, ect it will be reversed.

I met this kid that kept saying he was all about his $25,000.00 rc collection he started last year, saying he had a few x-maxx’s all modded out, and he’s an artist and he paints the bodies. I said I had an Arrma typhon 3s at the time, and he said I was a baby in the rc world and his paint jobs and builds were world renowned and he’s getting Arrma to buy his designs, then a few weeks past and I saw him again and he wanted to show me his latest paint jobs, he opened his camera app, and went on to show me the truck he just finished that morning in all black, with flat blacks and greys and his nickname painted in it all over, turns out his nickname was extreme bodies, or as he says he abrieviated it “EXB” so I asked him to walk to my car and I opened my truck to show him I already bought his new design lol it was the kraton exb I had received that day in the mail..
The world is full of them!

“There but by the grace of god….”

Great post. I may actually give this a try as I like greens either flames or dragon scales and its hard to find a body that I like. I may actually start getting bodies and trying this out.

First time dipping a body and man I thought it wouldn't be that hard but I was wrong. Getting the film to lay flat and getting wrinkles and air bubbles out. Tricky and going take practice.

But first dip I did on the inside of body and it was a failure got hug air bubble and didn't stick in spots. So I dipped the out side and it looks ok but has spots where there are little holes in film. And idk what happened if film wasn't wide enough or what but didn't stick to the lower sides .

cameringo_20220127_154903.jpg
cameringo_20220127_154914.jpg
cameringo_20220127_154931.jpg

Hydro dipping is tough and takes finesse. I think for the first time, that looks great. Nice work. 👍

Theow a backer color inside the body, Clear coat the outside of that beotch and call it a day! 🤟

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back