Kraton Hydroplaning - Does anyone have experience?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoKo

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I have the Arrma Kraton V4.
All screws have been replaced with stainless steel and almost all ball bearings with rubber seals.

What do I need to be able to drive over water?
Other Tire´s with Paddles, i know.
I mean the Setup.

Other Pinion, Differential oil Front/Middle/Rear??

You plan on driving it on a lake???
Paddles are used for that. You know this. 👍
You don't want to Submarine it. A total fail IMHO.:LOL:
I don't know what electrics you are using. But stock wont be WP. No electrics are truly WP.
You can make sure your diff bulkheads are well greased. Marine grease probably best. Use Tekjo gaskets there if possible. Grease at the Bulkhead joints.
WP your servo above and beyond what it is. I dissect mine completely using Silicone conformal coating on the IC board. Use Silicone grease on the gears and all o-rings and reassemble. Rx, the same. I pop it out of it's case and conformal coat it. None on the Bind button if equipped. With the ESC there isn't much you can do there. No Fan is WP. Use Dielectric grease on the fan terminals. But servos are cheap enough to replace I guess. Depends what you are running, $35. vs. $100+ servos.
The key to running in the wet is mostly after care maintenance immediately after a run. That is a whole different topic. Very time consuming. Motor should be taken apart. They are not truly sealed. Bearings re lubed. Even all chassis BB's. To just let the rig air dry like clothes drying on a clothes line is no good.:(
Yet many do this. Compressed air helps. And a shop Vac.
I don't run my bashers in any wet. Just me.
But I do run all my Crawlers in snow Blizzards mud, streams etc. And I WP all. Stuff still corrodes no matter what. Electrics , bearings etc. at some point.
Sealed bearings are key, DSM Offroad make the best Bearings for the wet IMHO. But Stainless Steel BB's are a must for wet running. Standard Chromium BB's will rust even if sealed type. Been there.
Good luck.:cool:

Last edited:
A-arm skid plates. They significantly increase your chances of recovering from a dunk by way of fluid dynamics .
They also act kind of like a ski, allowing me to turn sharper without digging in.

Last edited:
@rcNOLA,
A-arm mud guards. They significantly increase your chances of recovering from a dunk by way of fluid dynamics .
They also act kind of like a ski, allowing me to turn sharper without digging in.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/rpm-ar...5lP96v_ImodQpwUSmEo1UHwd3GC_U6QBoCFj8QAvD_BwE

I don't see any relationship between Vertical mounted Arm guards and recovering from a submarine ditch. If anything it would go against you and create drag. Just like speed running a rig at high speed. These guards scrub off speeds/ Greater resistance. It affords no Buoyancy at that, if this is what you mean? Skis need to be flat with the surface for any advantage. A Vertical position of these mud guards makes no sense to me. If anything I would leave them off for the objective of the OP. Just me.:)

I had mud guards confused with skids, my apologies.

OK. Thank you for your answers.

I replaced the servo with a WP servo. I didn't mention that yesterday. Sorry.

Today I was at a nearby lake.
I don't have any paddle tires yet, they delivered until next week.

Well, twice went well, but he went under. It was definitely 50cm deep for 2 minutes. On land he drove on immediately.
The fan of the retrofitted Spectrum ESC still worked.

I poked a few holes in the tires to get the water out at full speed, like a washing machine.
It works.

I mounted mud guards on the rear wishbones.
Should I rather dismantle this?

I want to drive over the water like in the following video:

OK. Thank you for your answers.

I replaced the servo with a WP servo. I didn't mention that yesterday. Sorry.

Today I was at a nearby lake.
I don't have any paddle tires yet, they delivered until next week.

Well, twice went well, but he went under. It was definitely 50cm deep for 2 minutes. On land he drove on immediately.
The fan of the retrofitted Spectrum ESC still worked.

I poked a few holes in the tires to get the water out at full speed, like a washing machine.
It works.

I mounted mud guards on the rear wishbones.
Should I rather dismantle this?

I want to drive over the water like in the following video:

Why would you even THINK abut traversing water with no Paddles. I don't get that at all.
You submarined it not thinking it would.:unsure:
All those Xmax videos .......:LOL:

Well mudguards will NOT help. Your tires are trashed. The foams will rot. Just reality. I hope you video taped it. At least maybe there is some value there.
It looks fun to try. But just being a gluten for punishment in the end.
Just buy an RC Boat for that nice lake you got there.👍 Cars are not boats last I heard.
RC Boats are fun also ;)

Last edited:
I would recommend some kind of flotation aid. If it goes under they sink. Obviously seal the tires up . Maybe body tethers to put in the holes so you can adjust with temp changes.

Better unplug your fans! Your pocket is a hell of a lot deeper than mine. Gud luck fishing 😂
Actually , removing the fans completely is the only way to prevent water damage to them. ESC manuals say this. Running or not they will corrode. The motor IC boards are not Conformal Coated and the also the motor coil will corrode. The fan bushings or BB's will seize. Not serviceable for most.
Fine sand and dirt will bind up at the coil.

@SrC i know that video makes you cringe...lol
I was more of of a newbie then,wouldn't do it again..truck has been rebuilt at least twice since then..😁
I was seriously considering ripping notorious a cross the Mississippi River here in downtown st louis in front of the arch controlling it on center of stan musial bridge. Would be UTUBE GOLD😆🤣🤣😂

I enjoyed it as an exercise in having FUN. Seriously.
RC fun is for all.
Creativity is all part of it.
I just kind of new the outcome.:LOL:

Well...
I have actually a RC Boat with 3s. It runs 55 Km/h, maybe more speed on quiet Water.7
This one:

It was only the first try to drive across the water.
Seal the tires - i know...
I have many spare parts and two sets of tires in stock and ball bearings 5x.
money does not matter... LOL
My problem is rather that spare parts are often out of stock in shops - maybe I'm not the only one who buys a lot.

I have now change the Chassis to V5 Version and the Bumper of the V4 EXB Version.
Soon i make a Pic of it.

Swim noodles, good idea, I've seen this in a lot of videos, I'll put it in the next time I try.

I am Sorry, there is no Video of my first try.
I'll be filming next time.

Whats about the diff oil?
At this moment i have Front: 10K, Rear: 10K, Middle: 100K.
Are changes necessary???

I´ve got now the new tires.
photo_2021-03-16_17-19-13.jpg

Hey everybody.
The Weather is better now. Yesterday it was my first try to drove on water.
It failed after 5 seconds. My kraton sunk 2 meters deep. After 10 minutes swimming in cold Water, i found him.

Its crasy, he is not damaged. Hahaha...

@K-BASH: One Million Diffoil? Too much! Because i have now 50K in the center diff.
He sunk because he did a wheelie on water!
I think i need 10K in the centerdiff.
What you think?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back