Hyper MT+2 A Run then a true WTF moment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megasty

RC Mod-Father
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave
  6. Mojave EXB
  7. Nero
  8. Notorious
  9. Outcast 8s
  10. Outcast 6s
  11. Senton 6s
  12. Talion
So I make this really long pointless video about this truck.

Then I run it for a bit afterwards until I see this HUGE spark from inside the body. I think the worst that the wires got chewed up but no dice there. I look for the obvious wire carnage but all I see is the once BLACK pinion is now almost completely GRAY :oops: That spark was SUPER BRIGHT, I noticed it from ~30ft away. After ripping the mess apart, it seemed that the pinion became WELDED to the shaft. That yard used to be a school so there's all kinds of bits of foundation reinforcement left there. Something must of kicked up and hit the pinion. Getting the bugger off took almost 2 hours :ROFLMAO: There was no sign of the grub screw that I red loctite in place & the loctite I put on the shaft was gone as well, There's a very slight indent where the grub use to sit on the shaft. I manage to not bend the shaft but it's still pretty mangled so I'll be writing it off. The motor cogged too much for my liking anyway.

20201107_023833.jpg

20201107_023852.jpg

Stock is dead :cry: Long live 8S ?:love:

It's a max6 & a Spektrum 1250kv from my O8S. I had to drill the motor mount holes out with a 4mm bit. The mount also got gnarled up in the process of removing the busted stock motor. I also had to remove the extra brace. It seems secure for now but I added some thick zip ties just in case the motor had any silly ideas of moving. I do have another mount ordered with the orange springs.

20201108_120836.jpg

20201108_121023.jpg

Last edited:
How do you like this truck overall?
Do you like it more than your Arrmas?
I am going to do a new build this winter and I cant decide.
Its going to be the Hyper MT plus II, or a Kraton EXB or a Mojave EXB, or get a used CEN Reeper roller locally and rebuild it to my liking.
I just cant decide.
I have a 4s kraton I love and 2 granites, and recently sold my senton to make room for this build.

So yeah, overall, how do you like this truck as a general MT basher. Wont be doing massive airs and flips and stuff like you guys, but will be jumping at the park and trails and gravel pits etc etc. lot of grass and both loose and hard pack dirt, just ripping around for fun.

It's a max6 & a Spektrum 1250kv from my O8S. I had to drill the motor mount holes out with a 4mm bit.
I have this same esc/motor setup, but I had to shim the bottom of the motor plate to offset the size of the motor. 8s is definitely what this truck needs. The stock 2000kv on 6s just isn't enough. I'm still struggling with the steering. Once I solve the large turning radius, this truck will be a solid performer.
20201122_163208.jpg

Last edited:
How do you like this truck overall?
Do you like it more than your Arrmas?
I am going to do a new build this winter and I cant decide.
Its going to be the Hyper MT plus II, or a Kraton EXB or a Mojave EXB, or get a used CEN Reeper roller locally and rebuild it to my liking.
I just cant decide.
I have a 4s kraton I love and 2 granites, and recently sold my senton to make room for this build.

So yeah, overall, how do you like this truck as a general MT basher. Wont be doing massive airs and flips and stuff like you guys, but will be jumping at the park and trails and gravel pits etc etc. lot of grass and both loose and hard pack dirt, just ripping around for fun.
Since I have all of them, I'll tell you straight that the Mojave will be he least versatile while the Hobao is easily the toughest, CEN is a close 2nd. Both TVPs are a pain to work on if you have to get to the front/rear diffs - while you can get to the center diffs in less than a minute :rolleyes: The stock Cen system will turn any of the other 3 into juggernauts, with the Arrma's loving it the best. The Hobao just needs a better system in general. I also used the firma motor paired with a max6 in all 4. The Kraton was undrivable, Mojave was rolling all over the place, while both the Hobao & CEN are dream rides. I just built up a new Cen with that combo since the old one was going on 3 yrs old and was a bit too worn down for so much power. The CEN is an old but very proven platform, & it's also the largest - & it can get even larger if you want :love:. I'll throw up a build of it later, but it more or less blows the other 3 away, even the Hobao. I had to use a ton of know-how to get it there but none of it is too hard to replicate.

Thanks a ton for that advice and your experience with them all.
Do you know if the CEN american force edition is better than the Reeper edition, based on the things you say need work? The american force edition supposedly has some tweaks that the others didn't.
I can get the Reeper used with a bunch of extra stuff, extra chassis, few bodies, extra set of wheels, charger and batteries for like 350.
Or a used colossus xt for 325 but it's in minty condition.
Or I can just buy the american force edition, hah.
But the hobao is a good one too as the 80% roller since I want to add my own electronics and controller and everything.

The arrmas are easier to work on the diffs though you say?

Im leaning towards hobao or cen after reading your post. Lol

Holy thread resurrection Batman..!!😉🤣

@Megasty .. Do you still have your Hobao MT Plus II ?? did you ever get a perfect setup ??

I've been looking at the MT Plus II recently and may get the 80% roller version as the price is just too good to pass up..!! I've got plenty of spare electronics etc 🤔

@Megasty .. Do you still have your Hobao MT Plus II ?? did you ever get a perfect setup ??

I've been looking at the MT Plus II recently and may get the 80% roller version as the price is just too good to pass up..!! I've got plenty of spare electronics etc 🤔
Yeah, I finally got it sorted. I also found out that there are 2 version of the RTR floating around. One has cast diff internals not worth a cent & the other has sintered internals. Mine had sintered internal that still stripped. So I got the hardened steel upgrades. I don't know what comes with the ARTR. But the hardened steel upgrades are a must, especially if you have the cast. They are silver/gray in color & the sintered gears are Traxxas color :rolleyes: - I don't know what else to call that poo-looking mess. The hardened steel diffs are black. I got the Cen center diff in it, max6 & my extra 1050kv motor from the Redcat R5. It has an 8mm shaft. I also used a steel pipe clamp on the motor so there's no way it can move. Somehow the stock motor managed to move even with the rear brace.

20220425_121837.jpg
20220425_121735.jpg
20220425_121905.jpg

Thanks for the update..!!👍🏼
I've watched a few vids and a few people mention the diff gears and the shock ends. Do all the diffs need upgrading or just the center ?
I noticed on Hobao's website they list two different gear sets, one is in the hop up section and the other is in the spares list..
http://eshop.hobao-racing.com/produ...0139/16015.0.1.1.1130704.1184921.0.0.0?pp=48&
and these..
http://eshop.hobao-racing.com/products/productdetail/94117++1/8+NEW+STEEL+BEVEL+GEARS+SET+(HEAVY+DUTY)/part_number=94117/16015.0.1.1.1130699.1184829.0.0.0?pp=48&

Thanks for the update..!!👍🏼
I've watched a few vids and a few people mention the diff gears and the shock ends. Do all the diffs need upgrading or just the center ?
I noticed on Hobao's website they list two different gear sets, one is in the hop up section and the other is in the spares list..
http://eshop.hobao-racing.com/produ...0139/16015.0.1.1.1130704.1184921.0.0.0?pp=48&
and these..
http://eshop.hobao-racing.com/products/productdetail/94117++1/8+NEW+STEEL+BEVEL+GEARS+SET+(HEAVY+DUTY)/part_number=94117/16015.0.1.1.1130699.1184829.0.0.0?pp=48&
The 1st set is the hardened steel: OP-0139. They definitely all need them if you keep the center diff. I used the CEN center diff when I melted the stock one. The reason I got one in the first place is cause a friend bought his to me to fix & I got jealous :ROFLMAO: His had the cast gears & the rear diff had both sun gears snapped in half & the spider gears were ate up.

Everything I have seen and heard says get the roller, the stock motor and esc are a bit underpowered for this rig.

Everything I have seen and heard says get the roller, the stock motor and esc are a bit underpowered for this rig.
Yeah, it's a 2000kv. The stock config is really pathetic on 6s. No torque at all. But mine didn't even last 2 full runs before shifting & somehow welding the pinion on the shaft. The shaft also bent. Getting it off the motor mount took ages. In hindsight, I should of just cut the shaft & saved a few hours.

I think I might have a nice TP motor that will go in it maybe with a Max6 😉 Just waiting on payday 😎
I'm going to get the nitro, I just wish they would have updated the nitro along with the electric version. The nitro is still on the older smaller chassis. :(

I forgot the pic of when the 1st firma 8s motor shifted. It had the 5mm shaft & it bent too. It's a 22t Robinson Racing & every tooth got ripped off while it has the same spur above with very little wear.

20220430_075553.jpg

Hey there. I too have the mte+2, boy and I each got one last summer. (The rtr version) the boy's center diff went on like his 4th run, like mentioned from others. He also threw a bearing on the spur shaft, bent the shaft and knicked teeth off the spur and pinion gears and cracked the tranny housing. He did not service the diffs prior to failure. Where as I cleaned and filled with 500k in center and haven't had issues. I put 60k in front and 30k or 40k in rear(i don't remember which)
We got the upgrade gears and related parts for his and seem to be ok for now.
Werner sline mentioned on his videos that his opinion was the diff case gets too hot and warps causing the issues.
But maybe ya'll know of this already.
Anyways i saw Hobao has upgrade diff housings now.
I see that might help in that regards.

Screenshot_20220320-061128_Facebook.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back