I built a cheap, portable ramp with minimal tools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Had 2 plastic skateboard launch ramps I bought about a while back to use as a ramp but they weren't wide enough side by side and too light to stay in place. Finally got around to building a better ramp using the plastic launch ramps as a support base.

Parts used:
2 plastic launch ramps 24L x 12 W x 7H each (about $45 for both)
1 plywood panel 1/4 inch thick cut to 36W x 24L ($20)
Traction tape ($10 on Amazon)
Aluminum door transition from Lowes ($8)
Random leftover boards, wooden dowels, screws, wingnuts and black spray paint I had on hand

I just fit the ramps together with the plywood first to get the length and width I wanted, drilled it out and attached the plywood with screws/wingnuts. Since the ramps taper a little, I just measured the width of the gap between the ramps at each point I wanted to brace it with a dowel, cut the dowels and screwed them into place. Went ahead and painted the plywood hoping it will hold up a little better to the wet winter conditions we get here. From there I attached the aluminum strip and applied the traction tape. Last, I screwed a piece of 2x4 to the bottom on the tall end to raise the angle a bit.

Took it out for a test yesterday with the my Typhon and it worked GREAT! Finally started getting some decent air for the first time. Nothing big, maybe 10-12 feet high on the biggest sends, I'm not comfortable enough hitting it at full speed yet, lol. I set it up on a hill with a flat approach to give it a little more air. Stayed in place easily on grass, might need a little help staying in place on concrete or hard packed dirt.

Best part of all is its super lightweight and the 2x4 on the bottom works as a perfect carrying handle. It fits easily in the back seat of my suv and is very easy to walk around with so its barely any extra work to take it with me. I'd like a bigger ramp eventually, but this will be great for helping me learn some air control. :cool:

20221017_165125.jpg

20221017_165133.jpg

20221017_165144.jpg

20221017_165154.jpg

Heck, I've got two of those exact plastic skateboard ramps! If you don't mind, I might have to steal your idea!! Very cool! Thanks for all the details too!! (y) 🍻 ✌️ 😁

I built this with my Typhon in mind, but looks like I'll be sticking with my Stampede for jumping. I have never even come close to running a whole battery when I set out to do jumps with my Typhon. Something always breaks, usually in about 10 minutes or less. Really #*%&$@ stinks!!!! lol

I've had the ramp out twice, yesterday I got about 15-20 jumps in before I broke a rod end. Jump looked close to decent, just came down on the rear right side a little before the other wheels hit. Today, I tried again and broke the wing mounts on the third jump, maybe a 3-4ft jump. I landed nose first and the front bumper took most of the impact, but it rotated over to land on the wing and both mounts snapped, its a new 3D-RC mount I've only bashed with twice now.

If I'm just high speed dirt bashing with no jumping, my rig is fine after high speed cartwheels, end over ends, even hitting a rock the size of a soccer ball at full throttle all I did was crack the front bumper and push the rock about 15-20 inches. :ROFLMAO: Take it out for jumping and I'm lucky if I get away with 3 or 4 landings that aren't near perfect. Have an all out bad landing once and its over every time except if it lands flat upside down it always survives. My Stampede takes way worse landings over and over, usually I get about 10-12 AWFUL landings on the Stampede before something breaks.

I've watched videos of others sending their Typhons to the moon and just shake my head wondering how it could possibly be the same rig. :unsure:🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I built this with my Typhon in mind, but looks like I'll be sticking with my Stampede for jumping. I have never even come close to running a whole battery when I set out to do jumps with my Typhon. Something always breaks, usually in about 10 minutes or less. Really #*%&$@ stinks!!!! lol

I've had the ramp out twice, yesterday I got about 15-20 jumps in before I broke a rod end. Jump looked close to decent, just came down on the rear right side a little before the other wheels hit. Today, I tried again and broke the wing mounts on the third jump, maybe a 3-4ft jump. I landed nose first and the front bumper took most of the impact, but it rotated over to land on the wing and both mounts snapped, its a new 3D-RC mount I've only bashed with twice now.

If I'm just high speed dirt bashing with no jumping, my rig is fine after high speed cartwheels, end over ends, even hitting a rock the size of a soccer ball at full throttle all I did was crack the front bumper and push the rock about 15-20 inches. :ROFLMAO: Take it out for jumping and I'm lucky if I get away with 3 or 4 landings that aren't near perfect. Have an all out bad landing once and its over every time except if it lands flat upside down it always survives. My Stampede takes way worse landings over and over, usually I get about 10-12 AWFUL landings on the Stampede before something breaks.

I've watched videos of others sending their Typhons to the moon and just shake my head wondering how it could possibly be the same rig. :unsure:🤷‍♂️
Hahaha...great write up! (y)

Mine always breaks too. However, I made it a basher with Backflip LPs on em and promised myself I wouldn't send him on the big ramp, only smaller ones and just bashing around fields/track/dirt, etc.

Well it was too tempting. 🤗 Biggie (my Noto6s) wanted a buddy to jump with. 😁 So I sent him 33 ft in the air 2 seperate sessions and he broke after 7 or 8 jumps each time.

They really aren't made for big jumps and alot had to do with my landing skills. :rolleyes: Still working on those, but getting better.

Biggie has gone 3 or 4 jump sessions, over 20 jumps each time, and didn't break a thing except the body mounts. (Land on the top much? Who me? Nahhhh 😶‍🌫️) :ROFLMAO:

So I guess those guys have awesome landing skills and/or really beefed up rigs. 🤷‍♂️

It's a freakin' blast, breakin' sh!t or not!!! (y)😁:LOL:✌️

Seems like I try a few times here and there and just get tired of breaking them so easy compared to just ripping across the dirt and rocks power sliding and having a blast with a few crashes along the way. I don't mind wrenching, but I don't like giving myself things to wrench on if I'm not getting enough fun time before things break! 🤣

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back