Notorious I can't stop breaking stuff!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robm422

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
I'm so frustrated! Seems like every time I fix my notorious, I take it out and break something else. I just did a full teardown, rebuilt the diffs, switched out the A-arms, upgraded some other parts, and I take it out for a run, and mis-judged a turn and hit a curb. Now I have to replace the front differential case and some other suspension parts. Another 30 bucks down the drain! Sometimes I just feel like selling this thing and cutting my losses. I know it is my lack of driving skills, but it still sucks. Just venting...

Lol, I’m not going to roast you. You are already doing it to yourself. No RC can handle sideways smacks at speed without damage if done right. It took me a couple months to be good enough to the stuff I do and I’m not great. I just stopped hitting things and it finally goes where I want it. Full throttle is your enemy, lol, I started getting better when I put tires on my Typhon I didn’t care about and learned to drift it. Your throttle control and steering inputs will get really good after a wile. Soon enough you’ll be smashing down the road full speed and be better getting out of trouble. Are you running 6s?

It can be frustrating when things go wrong, especially when you blame yourself for it.
If you're running 6s then consider dropping back to a 4s battery (or if it's 2 x 3s, try running a single one). Just until your confidence comes back.

Definitely what @stuartd said. 6s is a blast but I only use it for hard core bashing where I can expect to break stuff. 4s still gives you plenty of cheese but is a bit more manageable. Happy bashing!

I'm like you @Robm422, and this kind of power has a steep and expensive learning curve. My biggest mistake, is running close to my house. Trees, curbs, bricks and sometimes even other peoples 1:1 cars (well tires to be specific), these are the enemy. This is all due to bad weather and not getting out where you can open it up. Parks, diamonds and fields are where to hone your skills. You'll have it down in no time, so don't give up just yet. Rc's are expensive to maintain, even for the most experienced drivers. But once you get the hang of it, you'll be glad you stuck around.

thanks for the advice, I indeed need to stick to wide open areas for a while!

My outcast is pretty manageable on 4S with a 15T pinion. Goes about 42-45mph, so still fast enough to break stuff, but not so fast that it's hard to control.

The more seat time the better you get. It's like anything else you do. Experience is learned not bought.

I'm so frustrated! Seems like every time I fix my notorious, I take it out and break something else. I just did a full teardown, rebuilt the diffs, switched out the A-arms, upgraded some other parts, and I take it out for a run, and mis-judged a turn and hit a curb. Now I have to replace the front differential case and some other suspension parts. Another 30 bucks down the drain! Sometimes I just feel like selling this thing and cutting my losses. I know it is my lack of driving skills, but it still sucks. Just venting...

I feel your pain. Same issue here. I may drop to 4s. I drove my old HPI Savage Flux on 4S, had a blast and it rarely broke. This truck on the other hand, breaks ever time I head out.

Don't know... I ran 4S in my outcast for the past 8 months (got it in July and it's been a primary RC since). I just started running 6S this weekend. About an hour of run time (2 pairs of packs 2 or 3 times, 20 minutes each). Didn't break anything. Bent some stuff... but it still drove when I came home after bashing at a bmx track, skate park and another park with relatively large jumps. It was also pretty cold (35F-41F). I was 99% sure I was coming home with a busted truck.

I know if I hit something inanimate at 50mph, it's going to break. I know if I launch it 40 feet in the air and lawn dart it, somethings going to break. With 6S, you have so much air control that if you have 5+ feet under it, you have quite a bit you can do to get it to land on the wheels.

To be clear, I did not land on the wheels a lot. I had some wrecks that should have probably broke something, but got lucky I guess, at 3 different locations.

Usually, on 4S, I break something like a tie rod end or shock end from not being able to pull out of a bad jump... or hitting a tree. lol!

My erevo on the other hand almost never comes home unbroken. Also on 4S. My nitro revos usually do ok (all are heavily modified for durability), but they don't go as fast as the brushless one or have near the power on tap.

Could be in how you drive or what you expect out of it. Now that I have the outcast, I tend to drive my erevo the same... it does not fare as well.

Don't know... I ran 4S in my outcast for the past 8 months (got it in July and it's been a primary RC since). I just started running 6S this weekend. About an hour of run time (2 pairs of packs 2 or 3 times, 20 minutes each). Didn't break anything. Bent some stuff... but it still drove when I came home after bashing at a bmx track, skate park and another park with relatively large jumps. It was also pretty cold (35F-41F). I was 99% sure I was coming home with a busted truck.

I know if I hit something inanimate at 50mph, it's going to break. I know if I launch it 40 feet in the air and lawn dart it, somethings going to break. With 6S, you have so much air control that if you have 5+ feet under it, you have quite a bit you can do to get it to land on the wheels.

To be clear, I did not land on the wheels a lot. I had some wrecks that should have probably broke something, but got lucky I guess, at 3 different locations.

Usually, on 4S, I break something like a tie rod end or shock end from not being able to pull out of a bad jump... or hitting a tree. lol!

My erevo on the other hand almost never comes home unbroken. Also on 4S. My nitro revos usually do ok (all are heavily modified for durability), but they don't go as fast as the brushless one or have near the power on tap.

Could be in how you drive or what you expect out of it. Now that I have the outcast, I tend to drive my erevo the same... it does not fare as well.
Gotta sell that e revo man. I'm telling you let it gooo. Those things just aren't good.

What I do is tease and tap the throttle. My trigger finger is moving the entire time. It's a dance and I stick and move. I know when I jam it, I need more room to make turns and rather just tease it around a corner. Stick it for the long stuff and ease back and finger jam it around corners etc.

Gotta sell that e revo man. I'm telling you let it gooo. Those things just aren't good.
It's my "winter" truck these days. Something I don't mind taking out and tooling around in the snow with. Low grip, softer landings, not a lot of big air... it does ok with that. Oddly enough, it did ok at the bmx track 2 weeks ago. Didn't break it until I got to the skate park and got stupid. Also, swapping out the trenchers for something with a smaller OD and weight helps it live through a day a lot better. When I broke it last, I landed so badly that it shattered the RPM arm, so things were moving way beyond their limits. lol!

It was my first electric and was a gift from my wife. I don't have the heart to get rid of it. ;)

It's my "winter" truck these days. Something I don't mind taking out and tooling around in the snow with. Low grip, softer landings, not a lot of big air... it does ok with that. Oddly enough, it did ok at the bmx track 2 weeks ago. Didn't break it until I got to the skate park and got stupid. Also, swapping out the trenchers for something with a smaller OD and weight helps it live through a day a lot better. When I broke it last, I landed so badly that it shattered the RPM arm, so things were moving way beyond their limits. lol!

It was my first electric and was a gift from my wife. I don't have the heart to get rid of it. ;)
Aw now I feel bad for telling you to sell it. That's cool as hell man.

I'm not surprised about it handling big air well... they really never had problems with that. It's all about the diffs, they were the main flaw, but, as you said, smaller old tires... lives much longer :)

My nitro revos don't like big air, the engine bay bends and motor braces crack. The ERBE just bottoms out really hard and with the tall trenchers, pushes the shocks too far and bends stuff.

My nitro revos don't like big air, the engine bay bends and motor braces crack. The ERBE just bottoms out really hard and with the tall trenchers, pushes the shocks too far and bends stuff.
Eek. Guess the new and old e revo are more different then just drivetrain. Shocks bottoming out is a horrible thing. I'm happy the new version doesn't do that lol.

I too break my truck every time I take it out I have parts to fix mine on hand right but it’s been sitting for 3 days tired of fixing it and breaking stuff taking break for a bit lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back