I didn't get an answer, so... How much infill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exc3l

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
How much in-fill should I get in my 3s print?
I am getting a front wing printed for my speed run car.
1615255810185.png

How much in-fill should I get in my 3s print?
I am getting a front wing printed for my speed run car.
View attachment 131006
im honestly not sure, because if you use 25% for example, it will be a lot stronger, but slightly heavier, in my opinion, i think that the thicker fill would be better because if you crash it or something it won't instantly break, and with a really low fill, it might even be a little bit floppy.
hope this helps! (y)

The cost for an Ultimaker print is a $2.00 set-up fee plus $0.08 per gram (PLA) and $0.19 per gram (PVA supports), not including HST.
Oh that isn't bad... I would go 10% infill and 4 walls/top/bottom layers. If you send me the stl I can tell you how much it will be.

Actually it’s perimeters that affect strength more than infill. When I want strength, I go to 4 perimeters instead of 2. Good luck
Hurricane
What do you all need to print PETG. My dad ordered some and it should get here May. Hoping to get the printer ready for it before it gets here. Enclosure, all metal hot end, hardend tips, anything else?

What do you all need to print PETG. My dad ordered some and it should get here May. Hoping to get the printer ready for it before it gets here. Enclosure, all metal hot end, hardend tips, anything else?
In general you don’t need much for PETG. Unless your printer is in a drafty area you don’t need an enclosure. Hardened nozzle isn’t a bad idea but not required unless you are using carbon fiber mixed PETG Or other abrasive filament. PETG isn‘t abrasive more than PLA. The temps will be higher but not crazy.

The one difference might be how you prep your bed. I have Prusa’s and could speak to those... like don’t use IPA to clean the bed because the print could grip too much and ruin the print surface. Use window cleaner. if you have another printer I’d search the interwebs for tips specific to your printer/print bed surface.

May is a long time to wait for PETG. I have great luck with 3D solutech see thru PETG on Amazon. The green and yellow are really good colors. Usually on sale for 20.99.
good luck!
Hurricane

In general you don’t need much for PETG. Unless your printer is in a drafty area you don’t need an enclosure. Hardened nozzle isn’t a bad idea but not required unless you are using carbon fiber mixed PETG Or other abrasive filament. PETG isn‘t abrasive more than PLA. The temps will be higher but not crazy.

The one difference might be how you prep your bed. I have Prusa’s and could speak to those... like don’t use IPA to clean the bed because the print could grip too much and ruin the print surface. Use window cleaner. if you have another printer I’d search the interwebs for tips specific to your printer/print bed surface.

May is a long time to wait for PETG. I have great luck with 3D solutech see thru PETG on Amazon. The green and yellow are really good colors. Usually on sale for 20.99.
good luck!
Hurricane
Creality Ender 3 w/ glass bed, direct drive, dual z axis motors, bl touch, and 64 bit board.

My dad ordered Hatchbox PETG. We've been using Hatchbox pla and it is a big difference with that and the stuff you buy from creality. I extruded a long string of black hatchbox with blue creality stuff already in the nozzle to get the blue out, and I could run my hand down the string with my eyes closed and tell the difference between the two brands. It still works though.

The hatchbox PETG is around $22 I think.

https://www.amazon.com/HATCHBOX-3D-...ords=petg+hatchbox&qid=1617467216&sr=8-2&th=1

We have a all metal hot end, just not installed yet. We already have about 5 feet of PETG so I could print something small I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Creality Ender 3 w/ glass bed, direct drive, dual z axis motors, bl touch, and 64 bit board.

My dad ordered Hatchbox PETG. We've been using Hatchbox pla and it is a big difference with that and the stuff you buy from creality. I extruded a long string of black hatchbox with blue creality stuff already in the nozzle to get the blue out, and I could run my hand down the string with my eyes closed and tell the difference between the two brands. It still works though.

The hatchbox PETG is around $22 I think.

https://www.amazon.com/HATCHBOX-3D-Filament-Dimensional-Accuracy/dp/B014VM95IK/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=petg+hatchbox&qid=1617467216&sr=8-2&th=1

We have a all metal hot end, just not installed yet. We already have about 5 feet of PETG so I could print something small I guess. 🤷‍♂️
yeah I‘m not as patient as your dad to wait a month for a restock. The 3d solutech is available now and I could get overnight shipping. Good luck with your PETG adventure... I use it more that PLA.
https://www.amazon.com/3D-Solutech-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ECASPSGB4YKCCZBRPZCZ

I typically look at the preview in Cura and look at how the infill works around the mounting holes and other stress points. Then pick the one that provides good support with minimal infill %.
It seems to always vary depending on the part, shape, and infill patern.

For example this one 30% triangles looked about right to me:
(multiple contact points around the mounting holes in each direction)

1617646115813.png

I typically look at the preview in Cura and look at how the infill works around the mounting holes and other stress points. Then pick the one that provides good support with minimal infill %.
It seems to always vary depending on the part, shape, and infill patern.

For example this one 30% triangles looked about right to me:
(multiple contact points around the mounting holes in each direction)

View attachment 137415
How many wall layers is that lol. And in cura for me, I think part of the wall layers is the holes too. So there are 6 circles around the holes too. If you know what I mean. And I am actually doing 50% not 75%.

How many wall layers is that lol. And in cura for me, I think part of the wall layers is the holes too. So there are 6 circles around the holes too. If you know what I mean. And I am actually doing 50% not 75%.
I believe it is set to 2 layers. You are seeing the skirt/brim/raft attachment on the outside of the part.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back