Kraton I found metal particules My shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
So i have the hot racing shocks bodies and i noticed since i bleeded them taht the oil was like shiny? I thought it was due to the green slime but after inspecting sure enough they is a lot of metal partciules in the oil i flushed. I don't know if its a normal thing for alluminum shocks but im a bit concerned now. And also the 40wt and and 25wt oil i decided to put them on their original bottle because i did not wanted to waste no used oil to the toilet:/
IMG_1429.JPG

Of what i can hear is if i move the shaft to the sides a bit i can feel the piston scratching the side of the alluminum body someone here mentioned the bodies had a tighter tolerance than the stock ones and sure enough it is so i thinks the source of the alluminum particules
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
The tighter tolerance part is very true. I had replaced a few of the shafts and had the same scratching and particulate issue. They were straight to the naked eye but upon checking with a metal ruler they were not. If you reuse shafts from your stock shocks, make sure they are perfectly straight. Often through bashing and general driving and use they slowly bend.

The tighter tolerance part is very true. I had replaced a few of the shafts and had the same scratching and particulate issue. They were straight to the naked eye but upon checking with a metal ruler they were not. If you reuse shafts from your stock shocks, make sure they are perfectly straight. Often through bashing and general driving and use they slowly bend.
My shaft are streight as an arrow
Put 32.5wt back and bleeded them and still the same amount of shiny paticules came out idk what the fk is going i checked inside the shock body and i saw no chipping or descoloration inside of it. Maybe its my cursed self making this like i said the weirdest freaking things happens to me. Also when i wipe with paper the oil i get a drop of grey shiny oil only when i bleed them i had brand new oil inside a little cup and i dropped one drop of oil who was bleeding troug the valve and it left a big grey dot on the clean oil
If my shocks start to leak dude idk what im going to do i tried to move the shaft up and down fast and i had oil slipping out i tightened the bottom the hard as i can and it stopped doing it
I hope i wont regret this hot racing product i bought in the future the front shocks body seems a bit wider so maybe it wont have the same issue as the rear

Last edited:
Sometimes if the geometry between the two shock mounting points is relatively laid down, or if the spring perch is oversized or too close to the a arm inferiorly, the spring perch can press into the a arm under certain articulations of the suspension. When this happens the shock rod is pushed slightly out of alignment and it rubs the shock body even if the shock rod is perfectly straight.

This happened to me most recently when I was running tekno rod ends and perches on my Talion due to the tekno spring perch not allowing the spacer between the rod end and the perch that the Talion needs to avoid the issue.

Does it look like this is happening at all to yours?

Sometimes if the geometry between the two shock mounting points is relatively laid down, or if the spring perch is oversized or too close to the a arm inferiorly, the spring perch can press into the a arm under certain articulations of the suspension. When this happens the shock rod is pushed slightly out of alignment and it rubs the shock body even if the shock rod is perfectly straight.

This happened to me most recently when I was running tekno rod ends and perches on my Talion due to the tekno spring perch not allowing the spacer between the rod end and the perch that the Talion needs to avoid the issue.

Does it look like this is happening at all to yours?
Well if i move the rod to one side with my hand and i compress the ahock i hear it rubbing against the walls of the body even if i spin the ahaft arround i can hear it rubbing in a few spots.
Idk what i can do at this point. Even after remplcing the fluid and drying the inside with paper still have a ton of shiny stuff when i bleed the ahocks
Like i compressed the shafts slowly to let the bubbles out i don't thinks thats enough to create all of those left over metal. I also got another issue when i completly compress the shock after bleeding theres no rebound after i screw the shock after i oump the shock a few time i start to hear air and i have rebound for 2/5 of the shaft. So there is clearly air rushing inaide from somewhere idk how and where

I really want to just completly flush the bodies with water because those shiny parts i see in the oil is making me crazy its not right to me. Only when i bleed the shocks whats coming out looks like freaking silver paint dude idk what going on maybe the oil is eating trough the alluminum but it doesn't make sense

I found the issue its the bleeder valve threads. Thats where the metal is coming from i cleaned the bodies with soap and water and i shoved a brush in the threads of the body and came out with metalic paint.. idk if its the screw who is eating the alluminum or hot racing being hot racing and not cleaning the hole after they machined the threads...

Something is amiss there. Can you still return them for an exchange maybe? Is there any anodizing worn away inside the shock body? Why would there be a lot of metal from the bleeder screw/hole? Bad manufacturing?

Something is amiss there. Can you still return them for an exchange maybe? Is there any anodizing worn away inside the shock body? Why would there be a lot of metal from the bleeder screw/hole? Bad manufacturing?
I have no idea dude i cleaned them with everything i had even a brush inside the screw hole everything was clean but when i bleed them its silver paint
image.jpg

Well one had like the top inside one side was missing the anodizing black and the other one was fine but they dod the same thing both
Its like if i did not even clean them

Last edited:
I think the anodizing was poorly done internally within the shock bodies. You said there are inconsistencies with workmanship/anodizing. Have you considered trying to warranty them? An email to HR support?
You are having a real problem with these I can see.:unsure:
Internally the anodizing should be even throughout. That makes for smooth piston to body contact. Anodizing makes for less wear. Bare aluminum will wear surface when pistons slide against throughout its stroke. Its not unusual to get HR stuff that is bad. OE pistons may not fit properly. The HR bodies may be bored out too small for them. Just trying to give you some ideas.(y)
I don't see many others with these shocks chiming in. I don't have these . But I am pretty good with shocks in general. I don't get it. Except maybe you got a bad production batch.
I had HR Crawler parts in the past that were No good. They worked functionally, but the anodizing was very bad aestheticaly. I emailed HR. Took a while to respond. By that time, I could not return to the Vendor. I should have returned them right away when I could. But HR may exchange them?

Last edited:
I think the anodizing was poorly done internally within the shock bodies. You said there are inconsistencies with workmanship/anodizing. Have you considered trying to warranty them? An email to HR support?
You are having a real problem with these I can see.:unsure:
Internally the anodizing should be even throughout. That makes for smooth piston to body contact. Anodizing makes for less wear. Bare aluminum will wear surface when pistons slide against throughout its stroke. Its not unusual to get HR stuff that is bad. OE pistons may not fit properly. The HR bodies may be bored out too small for them. Just trying to give you some ideas.(y)
I don't see many others with these shocks chiming in. I don't have these . But I am pretty good with shocks in general. I don't get it. Except maybe you got a bad production batch.
I had HR Crawler parts in the past that were No good. They worked functionally, but the anodizing was very bad aestheticaly. I emailed HR. Took a while to respond. By that time, I could not return to the Vendor. I should have returned them right away when I could. But HR may exchange them?
Like @bicketybam said their customer support is inexistant the only bare alluminum i saw was in the nop of the shock body when the piston is fully compressed the walls of the shocks are anodined completly
Going to message them

Last edited:
But i cleaned them with paper inside and othing came out at all
I got an othe reply now i will just wait if they ever reply. But i don't think i can return them to my hobbyshop. The metal is coming from in my opinion from the bleeder hole idk if its steel or alluminum thats coming otu it has a dark l grey look

@Surchaufeur
I called Paul from Hobby Etc. at 603-883-4919. Told him about your issue. He said to email him with a description of the problem and the best pictures you think will show your issues with these shocks. He might be able to help even though you are in Canada. He is your only hope at this point. I mentioned we are on the Arrma Forum and there is concern regarding poor HR products in general.. He is expecting to hear from you as Surchaufer. He asked for your name.
Hobby Etc is the distributor for HR here in North America I did mention you were in Canada. He appears willing to help.

Email:
[email protected]
Good luck

@Surchaufeur
I called Paul from Hobby Etc. at 603-883-4919. Told him about your issue. He said to email him with a description of the problem and the best pictures you think will show your issues with these shocks. He might be able to help even though you are in Canada. He is your only hope at this point. I mentioned we are on the Arrma Forum and there is concern regarding poor HR products in general.. He is expecting to hear from you as Surchaufer. He asked for your name.
Hobby Etc is the distributor for HR here in North America I did mention you were in Canada. He appears willing to help.

Email:
[email protected]
Good luck
Yeah i think my hobbyshop supllier for hot racing stuff are them. He breiefly said if anything warranty concerned and hot racing wont answer we can call the suplier because they deal themselves with hot racing
Im going to call him then
What do i say when i call that SRc told me to call you? My username is impossible to prononce right in english

HR is a weird company. They are like Ghosts in the wind.:unsure: There is no information about this company. Yet they sell on a massive level. What gives?

Would a set of Typhon 6S shocks work on your rig? Instead?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back