I had an idea for some different body clips.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have had that titanium tree in our sand blasting cabinet for 1 year and it has taken a beating from the sand blasting grit.which is steel grit and that titanium tree has not changed at all.its still the same as when we put it in..that machine is on all day all night ..a investment well made. That's how strong that titanium is
While it is light and strong. It has a lower Young's modulus. Thats why I'll have to try some. I have a feeling it will take a set in the process of inserting them. Again, they could be longer to accommodate that. But now I'm running into physical limitations of the application. No one wants a 4" long clip there. The shorter the clip the stiffer the clip, but the further it has to move as a percentage of its length.

edit: I've already decided on a different grade of SS. Now I just have to see if my supplier can provide it in a smaller quantity.

I made something similar a while back for my Granite using spring clips
1672605407307.png

Threw some heat shrink and a tether on them

1672605571529.png

A more "complex" design here, buy just adding some thoughts:
Screenshot_20230101-123349_Chrome.jpg

A two coil design would prevent the piece from rotation or flopping around, and make it easier to grip for pin removal (using the two parallel running sides). It might also mean less strain on the coil inner and outer radii, and thus more cycle life. Potentially also make it more compact (could maybe bring in the coils closer to the center axis)? Nice work mate! (y)

View attachment 266646

View attachment 266648
Yep, I was pretty sure someone had to have already done it.
Love the idea my man!! Any remedy for bodies w/ a single post in the front like the typhon & limitless?
The existing hairpins are probably best, but I do know how to do it along these same lines.
Looks nice but for someone like me that's making a custom hood scoop for my big rock that style would not work.
Yeah, there are probably a few instances where this style would not work.
View attachment 266645
A two coil design would prevent the piece from rotation or flopping around, and make it easier to grip for pin removal (using the two parallel running sides). It might also mean less strain on the coil inner and outer radii, and thus more cycle life. Potentially also make it more compact (could maybe bring in the coils closer to the center axis)? Nice work mate! (y)
As they are now, with a little kant in the ends they don't flop around, but the plastic is going to wear. Good thought.

Last edited:
View attachment 266646

View attachment 266648

Very nicely done! I like it.
View attachment 266645

That's a cool idea. It might even be possible to put the coils inline with the "pins", maybe allowing more of a 1-handed removal, anyways, if not also installation (might be trickier to line everything up 1-handed).

King blitz,
China has zero respect for our patents. Colors would be nice, but from a manufacturing view, anything that would provide longevity would not be viable. Even if you paint them, first time you flex it hard the paints coming off. And who doesn't like the look of SS?

A spring steel wire will just rust. SS is very springy. It's got a pretty high Youngs modulus.
Well everyone, judging by the reactions here I'll get on making some jigs and get these out to some other people for empirical testing. I get that it looks like a good idea, I've seen more than a few good ideas fail testing.
Many quality body clips are made of Spring steel. And black Oxide coated. Will still rust at some point. I know.

I suggested powder coating them to one mill .the longevity is up to 20 years a superior paint than any other.and he could do it at home.simple oven that can reach Minimum of 350 degrees .I could explain the whole process just ask and I'll pm anyone.been doing it for over 20 years nothing rusts through powder coating untill at least 15 to 20 years depending on how well you prepared the material.the thing with powder coating is that the material should be sand blasted first.at work we use steel shot and also use a real fine grit called red garnet which has glass in it.mostly we use this on aluminum.also black beauty is a great grit.leaves smooth finish..steel shot that I use mostly at work is steel shot for thick 2 inch to 3 inch thick stock tubing.some serious thickness there..I can explain curing times needed for different colors.also let's say he wanted to paint them blue..well blue doesn't need to be applied on a heated surface..but it still needs to enter the oven to cure..black also does not need heat.and not sure if you guys saw vids on this but there are beautiful colors in powder coating.down side is the glossy finish does fade away quickly compared to other paints..I could on about paint.was a auto painter for 15 years.. anyways I hope what ever you choose just have fun doing it..🤟😁🤟
Incase anyone is wondering why sand blasting bis required highly before powder coating is because it creates low and high valleys and when the powder has contact with the hot surface it melts into the deep valleys and it locks in..if you sprayed it on a surface that was smooth like paper it would just peel off or scratch off easily..and powder coating is electro static .a grounding cable is recommend if you want to grab the Handel with gloves.if you hold the gun Handel bare handed no need for gloves .your now grounded by the system.there are caution factors..powder coating is a combustible.proper ventilation is needed.grounding system a must..😴😴😴ok you all are now sleeping .sorry to bore you all .🤟😁👍

Last edited:
I suggested powder coating them to one mill .the longevity is up to 20 years a superior paint than any other.and he could do it at home.simple oven that can reach Minimum of 350 degrees .I could explain the whole process just ask and I'll pm anyone.been doing it for over 20 years nothing rusts through powder coating untill at least 15 to 20 years depending on how well you prepared the material.the thing with powder coating is that the material should be sand blasted first.at work we use steel shot and also use a real fine grit called red garnet which has glass in it.mostly we use this on aluminum.also black beauty is a great grit.leaves smooth finish..steel shot that I use mostly at work is steel shot for thick 2 inch to 3 inch thick stock tubing.some serious thickness there..I can explain curing times needed for different colors.also let's say he wanted to paint them blue..well blue doesn't need to be applied on a heated surface..but it still needs to enter the oven to cure..black also does not need heat.and not sure if you guys saw vids on this but there are beautiful colors in powder coating.down side is the glossy finish does fade away quickly compared to other paints..I could on about paint.was a auto painter for 15 years.. anyways I hope what ever you choose just have fun doing it..🤟😁🤟
Incase anyone is wondering why sand blasting bis required highly before powder coating is because it creates low and high valleys and when the powder has contact with the hot surface it melts into the deep valleys and it locks in..if you sprayed it on a surface that was smooth like paper it would just peel off or scratch off easily..and powder coating is electro static .a grounding cable is recommend if you want to grab the Handel with gloves.if you hold the gun Handel bare handed no need for gloves .your now grounded by the system.there are caution factors..powder coating is a combustible.proper ventilation is needed.grounding system a must..😴😴😴ok you all are now sleeping .sorry to bore you all .🤟😁👍
Don't use black beauty on non-ferrous mat'l. As it is iron containing it will cause rust. I might give a piece of .0625 wire to my QC guy and ask him to run the profilometer on it:) One step at a time tho-, I've already got the jig drawn up in CAD, I just need some dimensions from people. Who has an outcast that can measure it for me? I have a Kraton and the Fireteam(I have an idea for the single post). What other models should I do first?

Don't use black beauty on non-ferrous mat'l. As it is iron containing it will cause rust. I might give a piece of .0625 wire to my QC guy and ask him to run the profilometer on it:) One step at a time tho-, I've already got the jig drawn up in CAD, I just need some dimensions from people. Who has an outcast that can measure it for me? I have a Kraton and the Fireteam(I have an idea for the single post). What other models should I do first?
What other models should you do first you ask??? Well this is a no brainier😆.it's 2023 and equality for all rc models.🤟😁👍.I say all so I don't offend any RC model out there.🍻👍

Hey Tex how's it looking in your area? Maybe you can do some speed passes to🤟😁👍

Yeah..
The issue is finding THAT road
-where it's relatively EMPTY, Long , smooth and Straight...

It's like trying to find a unicorn 🦄

It's Bad enough to wreck my own rig..
But a LOT worse if i end up hitting someone else's vehicle while speed running. No one needs that kind of aggravation. 🙀

Last edited:
Yeah..

But a LOT worse if i end up hitting someone else's vehicle while speed running. No one needs that kind of aggravation. 🙀
Oh yeah that would not be a good day..I just assumed most on here have a usual spot..I'm lucky I live near a dead airport and I use it at times but it's private property so I do have to sneak in through a opening in the chain link fence.😁haven't got caught yet but that's not to say I won't.i need to get some sort of camera on my head to do vids ..hard to do one with my phone in one hand and the transmitter in the other like near impossible for me .I'll have to wait until my wife or my son's come with me some day

Oh yeah that would not be a good day..I just assumed most on here have a usual spot..I'm lucky I live near a dead airport and I use it at times but it's private property so I do have to sneak in through a opening in the chain link fence.😁haven't got caught yet but that's not to say I won't.

THAT is very Convenient and Lucky indeed!

And
Yeah..

here I am with an abandoned 7000ft airstrip not too far away...and no speed rig. After I'm done with the bashers I'm looking into a Limitless.

Yeah..

That is the issue here, if the road is flat, straight and smooth it sees too much traffic to even try to walk across let alone drive your rc car on. If it doesn't see much traffic it is full of ruts, pot holes, cracks and crappy patch jobs.

Why does my reply have huge letters in it quoting "I'm lucky I live near a dead air port? Did I touch something
Why does my reply have huge letters in it quoting "I'm lucky I live near a dead air port? Did I touch something
How did just them words get so big but the others stayed small? Sorry but I don't even know how I did it.wasnt trying to.but would be cool to know how

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back