I have 0 RC tools and 2 cars coming for Xmas help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N4SIR

Retired NYPD full time Basher
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Mojave
I have a kraton 6s and a losi 22s st coming for xmas.. i have a garage full of normal tools but no RC tools i have workbenches and lights and tool mats but need to get all those small rc wrenches ,hexes, small tool pouch , spare parts etc.. What should i have day one and within the first month. I would rather slowly buy good tools vs a bunch of no name junk (big milwaukee and bosch guy)

Most RC's have allen head bolts/screws so I'd highly recommend you get a decent allen hex driver set from MIP. It's actually what I've asked for as a Christmas present from my parents because the non-brand decent set I have now are far too sloppy.

Edit: Beaten to the punch by @Peeeenuuutt . :LOL: What he said.;)

MIP. Buy MIP and you don't buy any other tools AGAIN. They have a whole kit. 1.5 (found on many 10th scale trucks), 2mm, and 2.5mm are the most common. I believe they have a kit of all 3.

Here’s one:
https://www.amazon.com/Moores-Ideal...ocphy=9051827&hvtargid=pla-762596485192&psc=1
yeah everyone seems to like moores .. sounds like im buying those .. :) thanks
anything like this worth buying? https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Screw...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
i also heard a soldering iron is a good idea calipers lexan scissors and heat gun ..
i came upon this video .. seems like this guy has a decent set of tools

Last edited:
yeah everyone seems to like moores .. sounds like im buying those .. :) thanks
anything like this worth buying? https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Screw...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
i also heard a soldering iron is a good idea calipers lexan scissors and heat gun ..
i came upon this video .. seems like this guy has a decent set of tools

For the same price you can get a screw set from Jenny’s of all the screws that actually come out of a kraton

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...-tools-v4-2019-nuts-hardware-outcast-ar106044

MIP tools for sure. You’ll never need any others. And I got this off amazon. Works awesome.

Malco CONNEXT3 Ratcheting Handle, Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NO2JDO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Lqz2DbT6BWBRP

@N4SIR yes a soldering iron is a must have imho especially useful to apply heat to screws which have been loctited in place.

I've had a few but honestly the only one I'd recommend is a Weller. The power of the Weller soldering irons is like another level (40W is more like an 80W & so on). For that reason I use a Weller 40W soldering iron that I bought as a kit.
s-l640.jpg

Polycarbonate cutting scissors are also useful but I've never had cause to use a heat gun yet. I use a jet flame lighter for heat shrink etc when doing my wiring.

Oh and if you don't have any buy yourself some red & blue Loctite. You'll need it for metal to metal screws and securing pinion screws etc. (y)

@N4SIR yes a soldering iron is a must have imho especially useful to apply heat to screws which have been loctited in place.

I've had a few but honestly the only one I'd recommend is a Weller. The power of the Weller soldering irons is like another level (40W is more like an 80W & so on). For that reason I use a Weller 40W soldering iron that I bought as a kit.
View attachment 54830

Polycarbonate cutting scissors are also useful but I've never had cause to use a heat gun yet. I use a jet flame lighter for heat shrink etc when doing my wiring.

Oh and if you don't have any buy yourself some red & blue Loctite. You'll need it for metal to metal screws and securing pinion screws etc. (y)
This^
I just use whatever lighter is nearby. I also use a weller iron. They’re great!

View attachment 54830

i ordered this one :)
https://smile.amazon.com/Weller-WLC...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

That one is a great brand but I try to get more than 40w if I plan to do any soldering with it. The larger xt90 and ec5 connectors can be tough without plenty heat.
I've de-soldered and soldered many XT90's & bigger 8mm bullet connectors using my Weller 40W with zero issues. ;)

It's important to keep the tip in good condition, use tip tinner as well as a separate flux (regardless of your solder having flux) I find and the heat transfers perfectly.

I've de-soldered and soldered many XT90's & bigger 8mm bullet connectors using my Weller 40W with zero issues. ;)

It's important to keep the tip in good condition, use tip tinner as well as a separate flux (regardless of your solder having flux) I find and the heat transfers perfectly.

Well, I'm bad at it and very impatient. I need mo powah! ?
Also I use this flux sparingly
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OC3VMU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well, I'm bad at it and very impatient. I need mo powah! ?
Nothing wrong with more power of course. ;)

I just mentioned my experiences of using the 40W Weller for soldering large connectors knowing the Op had also just bought a 40W so that he doesn't get buyers remorse before he'd even got the iron delivered. :LOL:(y)

One of the first things i learned is that quality tools are worth the $ ... i think it is true for other things besides RC also ... ?

I have a kraton 6s and a losi 22s st coming for xmas.. i have a garage full of normal tools but no RC tools i have workbenches and lights and tool mats but need to get all those small rc wrenches ,hexes, small tool pouch , spare parts etc.. What should i have day one and within the first month. I would rather slowly buy good tools vs a bunch of no name junk (big milwaukee and bosch guy)
Lot of great suggestions, but I also recommend a small butane torch. There's a lot of thread lock on these larger scale trucks and if you don't want to mess up the screwheads and your drivers, this will make it a lot easier. Some use a soldering iron, but a micro torch makes quick work of it. Also, make sure you have medium thread lock on hand for putting those metal to metal connections back together. The T wrench that comes in a 6s Arrma tool kit is actually a very good one, so no need for a new one. I like to have long handled tweezers on hand too, for handling all the little pins in the difs and the hubs. Remember this one thing, all metal to metal connections on the Arrma 6s use red (strong) thread lock. Don't even waste your time trying to separate them with out heat the first time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back