Kraton I joined the Kraton 8s King Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armarookie43

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Outcast 8s
  7. Typhon 6s
Jesus, even the box was Huge. It's the V1. 5. I plan on bringing the punch setting up to 5 and will looking into a 23t pinion (Arrma makes one specifically for the K8S?). I don't care too much about wheelies, so do I need to go from the stock center Diff weight to 20 million? I do have some in my tool box. Thoughts on going with a 23t pinion and punch 5 for general bashing with stock electronics? Thanks! I haven't even ran it yet. One of those 12 hour days at work ?
20200626_145111.jpg
20200626_145106.jpg
20200626_144156.jpg

Thay are huge... watch out for LVC and book it back to home base cause those things aren’t fun to carry. I fully admit to bringing batteries out to the dead k8s when my wife killed hers way far out ??
Nice. Are you running stock electronics and pinoin?

Nice. Are you running stock electronics and pinoin?
Yes bone stock everything.. it is my wife’s rig so she doesn’t get too crazy. I’ve been trying to talk her into a castle 2028 combo. But she’s not buying it... says “that’s 1/2 the cars price!? ??” haha so I bought her a 21T pinion I hope she lets me put in it! ??

Found the Arrma pinions made for the K8S. Should I go for 22t or 23t for regular bashing? Should I also pick up the lower front and back control arms? They seem to break a lot. How about the upper front control arms? Thanks! I'm not a speed demon but I need around 45mph on grass ?.
My baby truggified Typhon 6s compared to my K8s ?
20200626_201040.jpg
20200626_201032.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations! Looks great. Mine has had a Hobbystar 5692 1100kv? With a 30t pinion with the stock esc. I liked it but the motor locked up so game over. Stock electrics now because we have no “extra” money atm. Just got back from bashing tonight, outside temp was 87f after 6500mah packs my motor was 190f on a 25tooth pinion, so a little warm.... Esc was fine, maybe 130,s. I run mostly in dirt lots jumping and I’m not ft for more than a few seconds. I have not have any issues with cogging but some do with the bigger gearing. I just run cheap pinions from eBay and buy a three pack, say 23,24,25t or 21,23,24 and they are 20$. Good luck, hope you like it.

Congratulations! Looks great. Mine has had a Hobbystar 5692 1100kv? With a 30t pinion with the stock esc. I liked it but the motor locked up so game over. Stock electrics now because we have no “extra” money atm. Just got back from bashing tonight, outside temp was 87f after 6500mah packs my motor was 190f on a 25tooth pinion, so a little warm.... Esc was fine, maybe 130,s. I run mostly in dirt lots jumping and I’m not ft for more than a few seconds. I have not have any issues with cogging but some do with the bigger gearing. I just run cheap pinions from eBay and buy a three pack, say 23,24,25t or 21,23,24 and they are 20$. Good luck, hope you like it.
190f? That sounds like you are pushing it TBH. Thanks for the input. I'll probably try 23t and 22t. Cheap pinions? But they have to be made specifically for the K8S no? Like the ones from Amain? They are only like $12 each with the special clip. I've had bad experiences burning motors while gearing up before, so I don't want to do that again. I do have a temperature gun and like 7 other bhasers so I'll probably will not be running this monster alone. I like to give my rigs breaks and not run until I hit LVC during the crazy south Texas summers.

I’d get some arms for sure, upper fronts.......meh..., I’d wait. That 23t pinion is a great upgrade to the stock system bro. My rig kills now, I’m pretty stoked with it.
@bicketybam has a list of spares to have kicking about, it may be in the K8S upgrade thread, I’m too lazy to link right now.

ps....I’m only replacing with genuine ARRMA parts right now, the LHS gets them PDQ.
Pps..
I run lipo alarms velcroed to the rear chassis. I’m not sure why more guys aren’t doing this. I don’t think I’ve ever run to LVC, ....I just monitor the read outs on these thingies until they say 3.75 give or take.
EC3A9BD3-5D40-4651-9CA3-17A154FB0297.jpeg

Last edited:
Arms are a good idea for sure. Parts should more or less be available by now :) I was running a 23t with stock before I went with my max5 combo, no temp issues, but that was in winter though... the 20m center is a must-do upgrade in my opinion, completely transforms the truck into a beast.
Enjoy your rig!

I'll probably try 23t and 22t. Cheap pinions? But they have to be made specifically for the K8S no?
Any mod1 pinion with a 5mm bore will work. The Arrma ones are “safety” pinions in which the holes is the shape of a d to match the shaft. If the set screw comes loose you really never know as the car continues to run. The little clip keeps you from loosing them. The cheap ones I buy are cheap in price but as good a quality as any. I don’t have a reliable hobby shop to rely on so everything comes from the internet.
https://www.ebay.com/ipp/333572175899?transactionId=1774523482014&_trksid=p2047675.l48352
190f is warm, it was a hot day and I wanted to go fast...was only at the tail end of the pack and not the whole time. (Had two other cars with me...)If you run really big batteries they will not only be too heavy but will last too long and fry electrics. Like you say above, give the thing a rest on hot days.
Only thing I break on this is the arms. If it gets even a little side to side crooked on a jump there’s a good chance they will break. For some reason my pillow ball caps tighten up and steering gets too tight. So I have to monkey with them all the time.
Most will think I’m a terrible person but I still have my stock bearings in it since Christmas. They are fine, maybe I’m lucky...My upgrades are my own shop made chassis and bracing system (avatar), larger 1/5 scale servo and mount, silicone ear plugs in the center dif, collection of bigger pinions and better radio gear. Someday when all this bs is over with and can make decent money again I will definitely get the castle system...

Any mod1 pinion with a 5mm bore will work. The Arrma ones are “safety” pinions in which the holes is the shape of a d to match the shaft. If the set screw comes loose you really never know as the car continues to run. The little clip keeps you from loosing them. The cheap ones I buy are cheap in price but as good a quality as any. I don’t have a reliable hobby shop to rely on so everything comes from the internet.
https://www.ebay.com/ipp/333572175899?transactionId=1774523482014&_trksid=p2047675.l48352
190f is warm, it was a hot day and I wanted to go fast...was only at the tail end of the pack and not the whole time. (Had two other cars with me...)If you run really big batteries they will not only be too heavy but will last too long and fry electrics. Like you say above, give the thing a rest on hot days.
Only thing I break on this is the arms. If it gets even a little side to side crooked on a jump there’s a good chance they will break. For some reason my pillow ball caps tighten up and steering gets too tight. So I have to monkey with them all the time.
Most will think I’m a terrible person but I still have my stock bearings in it since Christmas. They are fine, maybe I’m lucky...My upgrades are my own shop made chassis and bracing system (avatar), larger 1/5 scale servo and mount, silicone ear plugs in the center dif, collection of bigger pinions and better radio gear. Someday when all this bs is over with and can make decent money again I will definitely get the castle system...
Ah OK cool. I've got plenty of regular 5mm mod 1 pinoins. No spacers or anything needed?

Ah OK cool. I've got plenty of regular 5mm mod 1 pinoins. No spacers or anything needed?
I don’t think so. If the shoulder on the pinion is too big you may need to put it on backward. I only think that would happen if you dropped down in kv and needed a bigger pinion. All mine fit on the proper way and I can even use the little clip to keep from losing them.

Thanks for all the replies. I use 50k front 20mil center and 30k rear for my xmaxx 8s trucks and it works great for the diffs. I guess I'll try it out with the K8S when I get to it. So is there enough fluid on the diffs, or should I just take them off (at least the front and rear)? What weight do you guys run on your outside diffs? Thanks!

Just a big tip when you go to put the 20m oil in the diff, use a torch on the diff screws. The threadlock on them is like concrete and the first one I tried I snapped the head off of. Luckily I was able to remove the other side instead using the torch.

Here's a pic of it opened up with fresh silicone and one of the original 1m oil. I only ran it a few times and that's how it looked.

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_143901003.jpg
    IMG_20200626_143901003.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20200626_130309033.jpg
    IMG_20200626_130309033.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 64
Ran the beast for the first time today during lunch at work. I did put the punch to 5 and brakes to 50%.It must have the 20million in there already because I could make it wheelie from a dead start. I don't think it's that slow like some people say with the 17t pinion. I was treating it nice but then said what the heck. Time for some backflips off the chain link fence like I do with my xmaxx 8s trucks. I nailed three of them! I did land one mostly on the right rear tire but just the rear bumper/skid plate got scratched. No breakages. I already like this truggie a lot. Not to mention how huge it is. I think it probably hit like 40 mph. Since when is that slow? Jesus. I personally feel that it has plenty of power for me. I'll just make it more crazy with the 23t pinoin and I'll be happy ?. I backfliped it into concrete BTW ?
20200627_202817.jpg

Ran the beast for the first time today during lunch at work. I did put the punch to 5 and brakes to 50%.It must have the 20million in there already because I could make it wheelie from a dead start. I don't think it's that slow like some people say with the 17t pinion. I was treating it nice but then said what the heck. Time for some backflips off the chain link fence like I do with my xmaxx 8s trucks. I nailed three of them! I did land one mostly on the right rear tire but just the rear bumper/skid plate got scratched. No breakages. I already like this truggie a lot. Not to mention how huge it is. I think it probably hit like 40 mph. Since when is that slow? Jesus. I personally feel that it has plenty of power for me. I'll just make it more crazy with the 23t pinoin and I'll be happy ?.

I'm using a 20t pinion gear in mine and am happy with that, I still want to have mega torque and don't want to start cogging or worry about temps.

Glad you’re having fun. You must have the heavy center diff fluid. Mine would not have any wheelie action. Only time I wish for more power is getting out of a nose dive. You’re on ft in the air and it just doesn’t happen fast enough. With my 5692 motor I was hitting 50mph on dirt with a 30t pinion, with the 25t and stock motor I get 45. (Not sure what I would get on pavement.)Not a huge difference but the air control was far better with the big can. I’m also amazed at how far the thing goes in the air. I swear it goes as far at the same speed as anything I have.

Glad you’re having fun. You must have the heavy center diff fluid. Mine would not have any wheelie action. Only time I wish for more power is getting out of a nose dive. You’re on ft in the air and it just doesn’t happen fast enough. With my 5692 motor I was hitting 50mph on dirt with a 30t pinion, with the 25t and stock motor I get 45. (Not sure what I would get on pavement.)Not a huge difference but the air control was far better with the big can. I’m also amazed at how far the thing goes in the air. I swear it goes as far at the same speed as anything I have.
Cool. Yeah I'm not planning to do super high jumps. I just want to be able to get at least a backflip off my ramps and drive around the park for some fun. From what I've seen, the stock system with the 23t pinion is enough for that and my kind of bashing. Heck I still don't know if I want to send it 10-15ft in the air and risk bending the chassis, even though with the new bracing the chassis also seems to be able to take it. I don't know about the skatepark. I'll probably will not be doing that. Yeah 45mph on grass/dirt is plenty for me TBH. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back