I just got into nitro and I love it!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug

Very Active Member
Hospitality Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Typhon 3s
I recently got 3 nitro RCs in need of restoration for free, I got an HPI RS4, OFNA Ravager 4.6, and a T*****s Rustler .15. Out of the 3, I could only get the Rustler running and man, that thing is a blast! I actually had more fun with the Nitro Rustler than I have had with my Typhon 3s, Nitro + 2wd = fun! If anyone here hasn't tried nitro, I seriously recommend you try it, it's so much fun!

I have a couple of nitros. A team associated NTC3, and a Tr***s S-Maxx (2wd T-Maxx). Had a rustler I restored but I sold it before I broke the new motor in.

When running right they are a blast, but I could never get the NTC3 to shift into second gear.

Several years ago I had a Traxxas T Maxx and an Ofna buggy. I got tired of all the maintenance required to keep them running well, so I gave the T Maxx to my grown stepson who got me into RC, and I traded the Ofna for a radio system.

Pug, be sure to use after-run oil before you put a nitro vehicle away: it prolongs the longevity of the motor. Check out this YouTube video:

Several years ago I had a Traxxas T Maxx and an Ofna buggy. I got tired of all the maintenance required to keep them running well, so I gave the T Maxx to my grown stepson who got me into RC, and I traded the Ofna for a radio system.

Pug, be sure to use after-run oil before you put a nitro vehicle away: it prolongs the longevity of the motor. Check out this YouTube video:

I bought everything I need in order to use them and maintain them, thanks though!

I had an HPI Firestorm 10T for a while. I got rid of it when HPI filed for chapter 11 and the parts that I needed for it were all out of stock.

Nice! The HPI rs4 nitro was my first nitro car, might have to fully take apart that motor and carb and clean it to get it running. From what i remeber you had to run that car lean (I beleive but could be wrong). Nitro was fun for the sounds and smells but hated cleaning it.

Nice! The HPI rs4 nitro was my first nitro car, might have to fully take apart that motor and carb and clean it to get it running. From what i remeber you had to run that car lean (I beleive but could be wrong). Nitro was fun for the sounds and smells but hated cleaning it.
The engine in mine is seized, the chassis is bent and there’s a stripped gear for the front belt.

They seem slow =(

They seem slow =(
Are you sure? They might be on the low side with torque, but once it revs up, you'll be going fast! I raced my Nitro Rustler against an XL-5 Rustler, guess who won...

The nitro...
I found them to be a total nightmare and frustrating and nitro is expensive
They are expensive, but nitro isn't for everyone, they require a lot of tinkering, tuning, and maintenance.

I recently got 3 nitro RCs in need of restoration for free, I got an HPI RS4, OFNA Ravager 4.6, and a T*****s Rustler .15. Out of the 3, I could only get the Rustler running and man, that thing is a blast! I actually had more fun with the Nitro Rustler than I have had with my Typhon 3s, Nitro + 2wd = fun! If anyone here hasn't tried nitro, I seriously recommend you try it, it's so much fun!
Do they make a nitro that is nearly quite? Then nope not for me. My Limitless is too loud at times. But enjoy GL getting the others up and running.

Last edited:
Do they make a intro that is nearly quite? Then nope not for me. My Limitless is too loud at times. But enjoy GL getting the others up and running.
No nitro is quiet. I actually like the sound, lol.

Nitro! Thats what I'm building.. OOPS! If you can get your hands on an OS .21TM for that rustler and go up 3 teeth on the CB, you'll be scootin!

Just some advise:

Piston at BDC after use and always use ARO.
Clutches start to flatten out leaving burrs on the sides that grab the CB sometimes even at idle, simply take off the shoes and dremel the burrs off, reinstall.
Have extra CB bearings and glo plugs laying around all the time.
Use VP Nitro fuel, there is no substitute for quality. The oil blends they use are top notch.

Oh man one of my all time favorite nitro was the ofna ravanger. I won so many races with that platform. They make a 2 speed transmission for them and they ripped hard. If you are looking for parts for them you are not going to have luck but the ofna jammin was its higher end twin and you can find parts for that but they are getting harder to track down. Would love to see pics of it😍 please and thank you.

Oh man one of my all time favorite nitro was the ofna ravanger. I won so many races with that platform. They make a 2 speed transmission for them and they ripped hard. If you are looking for parts for them you are not going to have luck but the ofna jammin was its higher end twin and you can find parts for that but they are getting harder to track down. Would love to see pics of it😍 please and thank you.
45028DC9-C1E5-4F72-A7F3-FE90CD3BF79D.jpeg

Well, here it is! I still need to get it running though.

Not sure about nitro cars but for my Nitro planes they are meant to be run on the rich side of things so that they would get enough lubrication. For planes you don't want to run lean or it can cause heat issues. I may be wrong and will stand corrected if I am but seems like it would be more of an issue without a prop moving air over the engine. How's fuel prices for cars? @pug ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back