I just got into nitro and I love it!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about nitro cars but for my Nitro planes they are meant to be run on the rich side of things so that they would get enough lubrication. For planes you don't want to run lean or it can cause heat issues. I may be wrong and will stand corrected if I am but seems like it would be more of an issue without a prop moving air over the engine. How's fuel prices for cars? @pug ?
I got a quart of 20% nitro, 9% oil fuel for about $17 at my LHS (VP Racing fuel). I haven't had any heat issues yet, the engine has been staying in the 200F - 230F range. It's honestly not that bad with pricing imo.

I got a quart of 20% nitro, 9% oil fuel for about $17 at my LHS (VP Racing fuel). I haven't had any heat issues yet, the engine has been staying in the 200F - 230F range. It's honestly not that bad with pricing imo.
How much runtime do you get from a quart?

How much runtime do you get from a quart?
Well, it depends on how hard and how often you use the RC. After about 5 tanks in the Rustler, the quart is about 3/4 full.

The engine in mine is seized, the chassis is bent and there’s a stripped gear for the front belt.
Dang it!!! I have repaired a few nitro airplane engines over the years but I can't remember what a soaked them in, I wanna say mineral spirit's but its been about 10 years or so. At least you got one rolling so congrats on that!!!
Not sure about nitro cars but for my Nitro planes they are meant to be run on the rich side of things so that they would get enough lubrication. For planes you don't want to run lean or it can cause heat issues. I may be wrong and will stand corrected if I am but seems like it would be more of an issue without a prop moving air over the engine. How's fuel prices for cars? @pug ?
Naw your right on for planes but when I had that HPI RS4 she was finicky on that needle, I do think she ran lean because she would bog and die easy. But this was back about 2003 so my old mind could be playing tricks on me...I am 42 after all :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The engine in mine is seized, the chassis is bent and there’s a stripped gear for the front belt.
I had an engine that wouldn't turn over. Not sure if seized or just gummed up. Soaked it overnight in old nitro fuel. With a bit of encouragement I got it freed up and apart. Then I stripped it and soaked/washed with Simple Green. Then assembles with a light coating of oil on the insides.

I had an engine that wouldn't turn over. Not sure if seized or just gummed up. Soaked it overnight in old nitro fuel. With a bit of encouragement I got it freed up and apart. Then I stripped it and soaked/washed with Simple Green. Then assembles with a light coating of oil on the insides.
Which simple green product is best for that? I see simple green mentioned a lot but there are a bunch of different options.

I'm gonna try to heat up the seized engine with a heat gun to hopefully break down the gummed up oil.

I'm gonna try to heat up the seized engine with a heat gun to hopefully break down the gummed up oil.

Let me know when you are bump starting a few truggy's and buggy's! 💪

Once you get that mill opened up, look to see where the piston was left. If it was left in the pinch of the sleeve you might need a new sleeve. OR if you got a guy locally that can pinch the sleeve that could work too. If it was left at BDC it might have a chance. I would replace the front and rear bearings in it as well.

I go through phases with Nitro. I have 3 and love it when they are on song and shifting into 2nd gear. The smell and sound is awesome, the mess and constant tweaking not so much.
Have you ever seen those fragrances that you can add to your fuel? Wild Willy is the name of the place iirc.

Which simple green product is best for that? I see simple green mentioned a lot but there are a bunch of different options.
This one.
1645824214874.png

Have you ever seen those fragrances that you can add to your fuel? Wild Willy is the name of the place iirc.
Thanks for that will check it out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back