Granite I knew this was going to happen...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrmature

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 3s
I bought a Granite 3S BLX for my son because he had outgrown his 2wd brushed truck - while it is a lot of fun to drive it just became too limiting. It has now become clear that daddy needs something comparable to drive so he spends less time criticizing his son's driving.

I'd like to stick to another 3S model, partially for similarity in performance and partly for parts commonality. I'm leaning towards a Typhon, but in terms of performance, which is most comparable to the Granite - the Typhon, the Senton or the Big Rock? We drive a mix of pavement, short grass and hard packed dirt.

I bought a Granite 3S BLX for my son because he had outgrown his 2wd brushed truck - while it is a lot of fun to drive it just became too limiting. It has now become clear that daddy needs something comparable to drive so he spends less time criticizing his son's driving.

I'd like to stick to another 3S model, partially for similarity in performance and partly for parts commonality. I'm leaning towards a Typhon, but in terms of performance, which is most comparable to the Granite - the Typhon, the Senton or the Big Rock? We drive a mix of pavement, short grass and hard packed dirt.
The Big Rock Crew Cab will keep you in the same league and maintain the environment that the Granite does. Upgrades abound but for big fun unnecessary.
A Senton or Typhon will also be awesome. lol
Hard to choose and all the 3s models should fit and it boils down to a decision of our own. None are better than the other but all are better than the alternative competition / $.
Cross-utilization of parts is my mantra across the Arrma platforms.
???

Typhon is most versatile, imo. Out of the box it can do most anything on road/offroad but is more of a general basher and better handling vs the granite due to the smaller tires and longer wheelbase. Granite being shorter wheel base and 2.8 MT tires will be a better stunt truck vs the Typhon (better wheelies and backflips). However you can throw a set of 2.8 MT tires on the Typhon and boom it's now a truggy. The only downside between the two is the Typhon axles are 17mm wheel hex and the granite is 14mm so they can't share/swap tires unless you convert one of them to the other.

Because the Typhon is 1/8 scale side by side with the granite it actually looks a lot larger even though under the body is almost the same.

The only downside between the two is the Typhon axles are 17mm wheel hex and the granite is 14mm so they can't share/swap tires unless you convert one of them to the other.

Out of curiosity, will the 14mm hexes on the Granite not fit on the Typhon axles?

No they are different axles completely.
This, but you can swap the stub axles if you absolutely need to, I can't remember what the part number is off the top of my head though.

This, but you can swap the stub axles if you absolutely need to, I can't remember what the part number is off the top of my head though.
Yes you could use the Granite/Senton/BRCC axles on a Typhon and then use the 14mm hexes.

Yes you could use the Granite/Senton/BRCC axles on a Typhon and then use the 14mm hexes.
Yeah it might be easier to just buy some complete axles from Jennys and just replace the outer half shafts.

It does look like there are a few options to switch the Typhon over to 14mm hex. I'm still leaning Typhon. Thanks for all the input.
I feel you'll want to get to 17mm hex on all your vehicles eventually. More options for customization. I took my Redcat MT10E from 14mm to 12mm so I could fit some Trenchers I already owned and regretted it in the long run. In my opinion, the 3s BLX Typhon being setup stock with 17mm hex size was a step in a forward direction for Arrma. You may want to get some Hoons or GRP 1:8 scale wheels and tires down the road -- or at least I would because I enjoy flip-flopping quickly from Truggy to Street Buggy with my Typhon.

I feel you'll want to get to 17mm hex on all your vehicles eventually. More options for customization. I took my Redcat MT10E from 14mm to 12mm so I could fit some Trenchers I already owned and regretted it in the long run. In my opinion, the 3s BLX Typhon being setup stock with 17mm hex size was a step in a forward direction for Arrma. You may want to get some Hoons or GRP 1:8 scale wheels and tires down the road -- or at least I would because I enjoy flip-flopping quickly from Truggy to Street Buggy with my Typhon.

Having thought about it a bit, I think you're right. It doesn't look like I'll be the one driving it though - I'll get the Granite hand-me-down.

Having thought about it a bit, I think you're right. It doesn't look like I'll be the one driving it though - I'll get the Granite hand-me-down.
If you get to love it you'll likely gain a few more models but may be best to take it one step at a time. ?

Having a son will do that to a man ? it happens to me every time we get a new truck no matter used or brand new. He always takes first pick of the stock ? also check out Rich Duperbash on YouTube. He has a mean Truggified typhon I believe it is.Because of him that’s the reason why I want one now.

I did end up getting the Typhon and as expected, I don't get to drive.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back