Raider I know it isn't Arrma but I am considering grabbing a used mini 8ight desert buggy. Any thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Mini 8ight-T with a load of Exotek parts and other hop ups. They're pretty well dialed in. They have fantastic handling but are not best suited for bashing

The most notable negative out of the box is the stock motor. It's definitely undersized and will heat up a lot when running on 3S. The next problem I had was with the diffs. The diff ring gear/cup screws are also undersized (I think they're M1.4 or 1.6) and shear very often under 3S power, unless you have set the slipper really loose. I've since shelved my car because of this reoccurring problem

Personally I think there are better value kits on the market over this Losi 1/14 platform. E.g. the TA Reflex has sealed oil-filled diffs unlike the Losi and is much cheaper. If I were to get another 1/14, it would be this đź‘Ť

I think the diffs on the mini 8-db were different. A little better. I never had issues with them. I had a db and a T, both upgraded, and both did about 55-60mph on 3S. I remember swapping the diffs out on my T with the ones from the db and shimmed them and I never had any issues
but yeah, the stock motor/esc I think are terrible.

EAE557AF-A73A-4031-88A9-2F79D1F14BEE.jpeg

Last edited:
Right on. Thanks guys. I think I will get it 180 CAD no radio. I think it's a slightly bigger 3500kv motor over the 8ight T version. Only going to run on 2S I am thinking.

You think these things really need an aluminum chassis? I mean. . The lighter they are the less f=m x a

Doesn't the aluminum chassis just make it heavier(?) That's the only thing that seems different on the TA reflex 14b or 14t a plastic tub chassis.

I know this is a bit late but parts for the Mini 8ight platform are drying up last I checked diff parts were pretty much gone.

Last edited:
Niiice. I will check those out. Thanks for the reply dude. I passed on that used desert buggy. Saw the TA reflex and thought it looked cool af.

Niiice. I will check those out. Thanks for the reply dude. I passed on that used desert buggy. Saw the TA reflex and thought it looked cool af.
Yeah they are pretty nice I have 2 LC minis and I want to get the a 14T just because.

82 Silverado is the LC EMB-T with Proline Trenchers, the desert truck is a Vatarra Kalahari(same platform as the Mini 8ight) and the buggy is the EMB-1.
20210114_202858.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back