Outcast I made a ramp for my car. You should too!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hear a screenshot of when it was used as a flat ramp

I had a problem. The only RC track near me doesn't allow 1:8 cars and the skate parks are always in use. Driving on flats gets pretty boring so I decided to look online for ramps. To buy them is way too expensive in my opinion, so long story short, I made my own. I used a youtube guide to build it. If interested, search "how to build a simple rc car ramp in 30 min for $10".

I recommend measuring the boot space of your car so you know the max dimensions to make the ramp. The size I went with was 80cm width x 60cm length x 50cm height.

All you need:
  1. thin plywood (ramp)
  2. thick plywood (sides)
  3. 4x posts
  4. nails
  5. tools: jigsaw, hammer, goggles, dust mask, ear plugs
The good news is, if I can do it, anyone can. I made this post to give others some confidence in doing something similar. It's fun to use, and if you don't have access to jumps nearby, you should make one too.

As I implied, I'm no handyman. I don't know what I'm doing so it took a good 3 hours to complete (probably 4 hours if you include buying the parts and tools) but it was well worth it. The parts only cost $50 AUD / $35 USD. Now i have a nice little ramp that fits in the boot of my car. I don't need to search around for an empty skate park. I can just go to any park, put the ramp down and let her rip.

Here's a video of my maiden run on it. The run up was only a few meters but you get the idea.
Thanks for the use full information that's exactly what I'm going to do and your right about buying ramp to expensive

You should've been able to get both sides at 2x4 if your starting sheet was 2x4.

Cut corner to corner. Stack and mark out the angle you want the car to leave at. Then use a fiberglass parking pole, pvc, whatever. Hold the pole on the narrow corner and bend to line up with the take off angle you marked. Draw your curve and cut.

Edit** Here, found you this as an example. He does a lot different than I do, but to get the curve and make the cuts this is how I do it.

i had some issues on my end. basically the thin plywood gave way in several areas once i started hitting the ramp at high speed.

so i made some upgrades and now i'm having no issues :)

upgrades:
- added 2 more support beams
- upgraded the plywood to a thicker type - previously 3mm (0.12"), now 7mm (0.28"). the thicker plywood was a lot stiffer, so i had to use a wet towel to soak it over 2 days to make it more malleable. i also added some bricks to get a start on the bend. i should have put a line of bricks on the left and right sides though rather than just at the edges as some undesired bend occurred towards the center-left and center-right (when looking at the photo). when it came time to screw it in though, mission accomplished as it was pretty easy to bend as desired.
- added wheels to the side. thanks CofNailz for that video. the wheels are a good idea :)

Attachments

• IMG_6996.jpg
    IMG_6996.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7028.jpg
    IMG_7028.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7046.jpg
    IMG_7046.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 41
i had some issues on my end. basically the thin plywood gave way in several areas once i started hitting the ramp at high speed.

so i made some upgrades and now i'm having no issues :)

upgrades:
- added 2 more support beams
- upgraded the plywood to a thicker type - previously 3mm (0.12"), now 7mm (0.28"). the thicker plywood was a lot stiffer, so i had to use a wet towel to soak it over 2 days to make it more malleable. i also added some bricks to get a start on the bend. i should have put a line of bricks on the left and right sides though rather than just at the edges as some undesired bend occurred towards the center-left and center-right (when looking at the photo). when it came time to screw it in though, mission accomplished as it was pretty easy to bend as desired.
- added wheels to the side. thanks CofNailz for that video. the wheels are a good idea :)
What I would recommend to others who see this is to simply use two layers of the thinner material and make sure to turn the second piece 90 degrees to oppose the wood grains.

^ yea that's what i read a lot on online (after i had already purchased the thick piece and discovered it was too hard to bend haha).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back