I need a detail description of installing a BEC to my servo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paultro84

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I need to hook up a BEC to my servo. I've seen a couple videos. Wire it directly to the battery I get, but from what I understand, you plug it in to the reciever. And you need to unhook the power wire that goes from the ESC to the reciever. But how is the extra power getting to the servo? Wouldn't installing it that way just allow more to the reciever? I guess I need to know how and why. Haha

No, you don't plug the bec into the receiver!! You can plug the receiver into the bec if you want to power it from it as well as the servo depending on the BEC you're using. So this is how it works, the ESC has a 5v Bec built into it, when you plug the esc into the the RX it powers the RX and if you plug the servo into the RX it powers it via the RX from the BEC in the esc. (All if the + / - pins in the RX are linked in parallel). If you want to power the servo via a separate esc to get 7.4v or more Amps, you need to use an external BEC as you mentioned above. To wire this up, the BEC needs to be powered directly from your lipos so you need to have a split coming off the battery cables before they reach the esc. The BEC is then basically wired in parallel with your esc. (Not in series!). All you need to do then is disconnect the + / - from your servo lead plug and connect them to the bec. This means you'll have 1 wire (signal) with a servo plug coming from your servo that plugs into the signal output on your RX and the power leads separately connected to the BEC. Hope that answers your questions.

My servo is rated up to 6v so I bought a Turnigy 6v BEC because it can handle around 26v input. I appreciate the details. I figured what I took from the videos was wrong. Haha well, I understood to wire it directly to the battery cables. I put a hobby wing max 6 ESC in it. Stock one burned up me. I figured it would be strong enough for the upgraded servo. There was nothing wrong with the stock servo, I just purchased it along with the new ESC and a aluminum servo mount, so the truck was steering fine when I changed the servo. Someone said to also check the servo saver tension. They tend to back off I guess. People are using red locktite or double Nutting it. Anyway, thank you for the help. I'l screen shot it so I can reread it a bunch of times.

No problem, glad to help. I got a good bec for my Kraton so I could get more power out of the servo. Still haven't put it in as I need to waterproof the BEC first. (Had it for a while now) but have used BECs a lot in FPV quads I build. One of my first Kraton upgrades was to change the spring in the servo saver for a much stiffer one. It was one of the mods I saw recommended when I got my Kraton just over two years ago. Just got back into the Kraton forum / Facebook group but not seen it mentioned so don't know if anyone bothers to do it still. Might be worth looking into, I've never had an issue with mine since swapping the spring

Just looked it up, if you're interested the servo saver spring I used was a Mugen E0315 Heavy duty servo saver spring. I had to cut the length slightly with a Dremel and if fitted right in.

No problem, glad to help. I got a good bec for my Kraton so I could get more power out of the servo. Still haven't put it in as I need to waterproof the BEC first. (Had it for a while now) but have used BECs a lot in FPV quads I build. One of my first Kraton upgrades was to change the spring in the servo saver for a much stiffer one. It was one of the mods I saw recommended when I got my Kraton just over two years ago. Just got back into the Kraton forum / Facebook group but not seen it mentioned so don't know if anyone bothers to do it still. Might be worth looking into, I've never had an issue with mine since swapping the spring

Turns out my ESC puts out 6v which is the maximum the servo can handle. I didn't know it but this ESC has the option to switch it over to 7.4v output.
15222639079748705758034169281391.jpg
15222639079748705758034169281391.jpg

Ya my servo saver was loose. A BEC isn't that much anyway. I appreciate all your help. Truck steers good now.

I'll check that out I've got a V1 Kraton with the old red blx esc, I got the esc swapped under warranty for the new one and didn't realise that was one of the settings. Awesome thanks

from what i understand the external bec is used more to cover the amperage draw of the higher torque servos. the esc only puts out 3A if im not mistaken. some higher torque servos can need over 5A under higher load which can damage the internal bec and wipe out your esc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back