Typhon I need help deciding on a Typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krathead

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
It's time to get a buggy. Now that the new 3S model came out I am very interested. The problem is I don't know a lot about the differences between them. I love the 6S power but 3S can scream too. I just don't want to sacrifice quality in other areas so I am wanting to know what the difference really is besides the obvious power drop. I don't want to sacrifice dependability. Can you please explain exactly what the differences are? I'm almost ready to jump on a 3S Typhon but don't want to go back to plastic spurs and axles. TIA.

Thanks, that helps. I wish he would have pulled the bodies off so I could see the difference under the hood.

3s: all plastic except for the internal gears in the diffs, no center diff. Based on my experience with the Granite, Senton and Big Rock, it won't steer as well as the 6s version, especially as the plastic balls wear.

6s: metal chassis, metal diffs, aluminum shocks, has sway bars, has a center diff, handles like it's on rails.

So... plastic shocks... not a good thing but can probably be switched if needed. Plastic chassis is good and bad. I have not broken a plastic chassis but have seen the aluminum ones bend easily, plus makes the buggy lighter. I really like the front end setup on my kraton but will losing it be a bad thing? It is bulky and heavy. Durability will be the deciding factor here. If the 3S version front end will hold up like the 6S does then it will be great having it lighter and more nimble like a buggy should be. It sure seems to turn quick from what I have seen. I can't seem to find any videos with them side by side with the bodies off. I would really like to see what differences they have.

3s: all plastic except for the internal gears in the diffs, no center diff. Based on my experience with the Granite, Senton and Big Rock, it won't steer as well as the 6s version, especially as the plastic balls wear.

6s: metal chassis, metal diffs, aluminum shocks, has sway bars, has a center diff, handles like it's on rails.

If the spurs are plastic and the steering is not as good then that is enough right there to keep me from it. Plastic axles too?

So... plastic shocks... not a good thing but can probably be switched if needed. Plastic chassis is good and bad. I have not broken a plastic chassis but have seen the aluminum ones bend easily, plus makes the buggy lighter. I really like the front end setup on my kraton but will losing it be a bad thing? It is bulky and heavy. Durability will be the deciding factor here. If the 3S version front end will hold up like the 6S does then it will be great having it lighter and more nimble like a buggy should be. It sure seems to turn quick from what I have seen. I can't seem to find any videos with them side by side with the bodies off. I would really like to see what differences they have.

Go look in the Mega 4x4 forum for pictures of a Senton or BRCC with the body off. You will see what the Typhon's looks like.

I love the 3s BLX series and I'm sure the Typhon will be great for what it is. But it won't handle as well as the 6s and as far as durability, it should be about the same. My two cents :)

If the spurs are plastic and the steering is not as good then that is enough right there to keep me from it. Plastic axles too?

Yes. I'm waiting for the Arrma metal upgrades which cost $80. Now you are close to the 6s cost.

I have a Typhon v1 and a Mega 4x4 (upgraded to brushless) - my .02 -

If you can swing the budget for the 6s version, get it and don't look back. But understand it is more than the extra $120 to buy it - you will have higher battery cost, and need a beefier charger. Plus tire cost for 6s running can get out of hand, if you can't control the trigger finger... :)

As I see it, for the 6s, add $200 (4s and a single channel charger) to $400 (6s and a duel channel charger) on to the car price for batteries (you want more than one) and a good strong charger.
For the 3s, the cost to RTR will be closer to $100 (2s and a 50w charger) to $200(3s and a duel channel 80w charger)

If you are on a tighter budget, the 4x4 platform is good, and would leave most bashers happy.

The issue is not my budget. I already have all the batteries and chargers I need. I was hoping the 3S platform would work out but I refuse to go back to plastic spurs and axles. The 6S is a little overkill for the track racing I had in mind. Thanks for the help, I'll keep looking

The issue is not my budget. I already have all the batteries and chargers I need. I was hoping the 3S platform would work out but I refuse to go back to plastic spurs and axles. The 6S is a little overkill for the track racing I had in mind. Thanks for the help, I'll keep looking

Easy, then. Get the 6s, don't look back!

How is it Overkill? It is a racing buggy, designed for track work. Drop a 4s in it, with the 16t pinion, and it is a track eating machine!

Re: Plastic Spurs and axles - for 2s/3s, a 32p spur should hold up fine. Yes, it is possible to kill it, but with proper mesh, it should last a long time. Axles - Arrma as metal CVD's in the pipeline, just a question of when they will arrive.

Last edited:
I decided on the 3S. I will swap out the parts that I feel it needs. I want to use it for a little track racing and the power/weight seems perfect. Fun little buggy.

This thing is just an absolute animal no matter what kind of bashing I'm doing.. 6s all the way for me.

Attachments

• 1220181838_Burst01.jpg
    1220181838_Burst01.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 172
Is the Typhon 3s the same size (ish) as the Typhon 6s ? I'm interested specially on how long. Does anyone have a picture of the Typhon aside to a Granite 3s to compare size ?

Thinking on getting my daughter a Typhon 3s instead of Granite 3s for stability reasons, she is still learning and Monster trucks she flips too often.

Thank you !

The 3S and 6S versions are almost identical in terms of their size, however, the 3S is WAAAAY lighter. So it's definitely something that would be better for kids. It's quite a bit bigger than the granite in terms of width and length. Here's my Typhon 3S with my sons MT10E which is the same size as the granite.

IMG_20190110_171134.jpg

There is also the Big Rock 3S version which is on the same chassis as the Typhon...the longer wheelbase helps if your kid is just into monster trucks only.

Great Picture and thank you ! yes, Big Rock will be for my boy, Typhon however for my daughter :)

Thank you again.

Every time I see a pic of a 3s Typhon, I kind of have the same thought... There is just something that looks a bit clunky with it compared to my 6s Typhon. Maybe is it the wing, maybe it is the front shocks, body even looks just a bit off, something. Just can't quite put my finger on it....

My v1, back when the paint was new -
20161202_190617.jpg

Every time I see a pic of a 3s Typhon, I kind of have the same thought... There is just something that looks a bit clunky with it compared to my 6s Typhon. Maybe is it the wing, maybe it is the front shocks, body even looks just a bit off, something. Just can't quite put my finger on it....

The wing is thicker and so are the shock towers and body mounts...which is what gives you the illusion. It's definitely thicker looking, and it is thicker...so yeah, clunkier, lol. No doubt about it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back