Kraton I need help from the BEC/SERVO Guru please? ProModeler DS630 Servo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingpin

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Here are the parts I am using.

TP 4070 1700kv
Max 6 ESC
ProModeler DS630 Servo https://www.promodeler.com/DS630BLHV
NTF Racing dual fans for motor and fan for ESC.

The fans are running off their own 2s battery.
But the gentlemen from Promodeler recommends a 3s battery for the servo.
I do not want to be running a 3rd battery in the car but I am willing to use a BEC.

I know the TP motor will be pushing the Max6 to it's limits but I'm not doing speed runs and will only be using a 16t/17t pinion so I'm not too worried about that but I am more worried about the servo which will be running at 7.4 volts.
I've never run a BEC so I'm not too sure about them. I was thinking about getting the CC BEC 2.0 WATERPROOF BEC and the Holmes adapter if I can find one.

Am I on the right track or is there anything I am missing and should know about?

Servo specs.
1588727599114.png

1588727622494.png

Why do you need a BEC or external batteries?
Max6 BEC spec is 6V/7.2V adjustable, 6A .
Your servo will be at 4.1A but will probably never hit that value.
How much are the fans drawing? From what I can see, you can hook it all up to the ESC and not even be worried about anything. Fans will spin slightly slower but I have no technical info on the fans themselves.

Not sure why they recommend running the servo at 3S (~12V), which is not in the spec. If they recommend why don't they update that spec?
Unsure why you would need so much torque to begin with. Not needed on a Kraton and lot of waste. Unless you are standing still on carpet with 3.8 trenchers you will never utilize it.

FYI, backflip tires will do fine with ~350oz-in. Your servo can do that at 4.8V.

Last edited:
Data on their website states 7.2V.
Haven't measured mine tbh. Not unheard of that they have typos and was surprised as well. My manuals does state 7.4 as well.
On the link, Max6 is the 3rd one in but you can check at your link.

Clipboard01.jpg

Here’s a little more insight on John’s approach to recommending running a separate 2s lipo instead of pulling the voltage from a BEC either external or internal to the ESC
https://www.promodeler.com/askJohn/The-case-against-synthetic-voltage

IMO it’s sound advice but completely overkill for a basher and unnecessary considering what we put these rigs through

I’ve been running through the ECS for over a year without any downsides or negative effects

I'm basically building an experiment. It's a Kraton in name but it's on a Mojave chassis, full of titanium parts and I will be experimenting with 1/5 scale wheels which are much larger and heavier.
It's another reason why I am trying to get this right the first time cause I will really hate to have to go back and tare things apart again with all the custom work I will be putting into it.
Damn I messed up by editing my post. FML!
Max6 is 6.0v or 7.4, not 7.2

No need for a BEC or separate battery for the servo.
I’ve been running Promodeler 470 servos with the Max6 set to 7.4v and it’s perfect. You can program the Max6 the same way you do a BLX 185 ESC with the set button and don’t need a program card.
View attachment 78722View attachment 78723
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-max6-esc?variant=4075925316
I was thinking the tp motor would be pushing the Max 6 too hard and not have enough left for the Servo in strenuous times.
I have a Hobbywing Programmer but I appreciate the info.

Last edited:
The Max6 will handle the TP without sacrificing power to the servo. I run paired with a HW 4985 1650kv geared 20/46 on full size backflip tires (8s).
Also running (2) 30mm motor fans through the receiver port and the ESC fan through the ESC port.

The Max6 will handle the TP without sacrificing power to the servo. I run paired with a HW 4985 1650kv geared 20/46 on full size backflip tires (8s).
Also running (2) 30mm motor fans through the receiver port and the ESC fan through the ESC port.
OK this makes me feel better. I guess worst comes to worst I could always add the BEC and hide it somewhere. Thank you!

@Mr.Duke In the case of the CC Mamba Monster X 8s it lists BEC: Adjustable: 5.5V, 6.0V, 7.5V. Or 8.0V (8A Peak), default 5.5V.
If I wanted to run my servo at 7.4v is it ok to run it on the 7.5v setting?

Yes, you can run this servo from 4.8v up to 8.4v, or any voltage in between. The higher the BEC voltage, the higher the torque output and faster swing speed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back