I need mega sand protection (newbie)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Combatjeep

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Just joined the forum. Just ordered my first, the blue and white Nero 6s last night. I live right on the beach and that's where I plan on running about 90% of the time. I need sand protection suggestions and resources that preferably are not in China. I've been trying to find the zip on netting that goes around the chassis and I'm assuming I will need to get skids to semi cover the undercarriage. Only stuff I could find is over a months delivery time from China. So, resource suggestions will be much appreciated as well as other suggestions on what add-ons I may need to minimize taking on too much sand. Thanks y'all.

Just joined the forum. Just ordered my first, the blue and white Nero 6s last night. I live right on the beach and that's where I plan on running about 90% of the time. I need sand protection suggestions and resources that preferably are not in China. I've been trying to find the zip on netting that goes around the chassis and I'm assuming I will need to get skids to semi cover the undercarriage. Only stuff I could find is over a months delivery time from China. So, resource suggestions will be much appreciated as well as other suggestions on what add-ons I may need to minimize taking on too much sand. Thanks y'all.

if you don't mind the work...on my 5th scale i used screen material...from local hardware store...screens come in plastic or a cloth type with different spacings and sizes...quite a wide slection at lowes here...just a thought ..

if you don't mind the work...on my 5th scale i used screen material...from local hardware store...screens come in plastic or a cloth type with different spacings and sizes...quite a wide slection at lowes here...just a thought ..
That's actually a good idea. I could probably get some of the fine cloth screen and hem in some elastic with some iron on "stitch witchery" tape.

Disposable bouffant cap 100ct. from Amazon. They work perfect for sand and light water. I use them in snow and mud

It's a surgery cap, bouffant style. It fits over my Nero perfectly
I can get plenty of those; my wife and I are nurses. That is such a simple idea too. Thanks so much dude. You wouldn't mind posting me a pic so when mine arrives and I set it up I'll have a good idea of what all to stretch it around? Thanks bro.

Here you go

Attachments

• IMAG0074.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 274
one more point: Mud guards!
Don´t matter from which material. I will keep sand and dirt away from the axles.
I have some made from 1,5mm carbon. It´s a little too heavy but it works fine again small stones.

Edith: now I found a pic on the pc but just the front guards are visible....
IMG_0002.JPG

Last edited:
Tower Hobbies says late April for the ARRMA Dirt Guard Set Nero. For $9.99 I think they are a good investment. Look good, go on very easily. I lost a wheel bearing after the first hour of running in the grass (it came apart as the metal shield popped out) so I replaced the 8 wheel bearings with sealed ones. You may want to do that. Fast Eddy (FastEddyBearings.com) had them in a set and very cheap. Price was $30.59 for 'Arrma Nero Sealed Bearing Kit' which has 34 bearings. I' ll replace the others as needed.

Last edited:
Salt water will be an equally formidable foe, even if not running in the water. Just running on sand where the tide has gone out. Thoroughly wash and lube after use, especially the bearings with a good lube... Not WD40. Remove bottom cover to get hard to reach areas. Compressed air is your best tool. Get a small compressor, better and cheaper than cans in the long run and performs other functions.

Other than the fact that the Nero is not easy to clean, it is ideal for beach bashing. You can use all the modes... Wheelie, drift, climb. Good luck and have fun.

Also. Move shock ends to 2nd hole from inside so they are straight. Seems to help prevent common failures. See thread

We have always used panty hose. Cut the legs off and it stretches over front end and leg holes go over front a arms and a few small zip ties to tie end up around rear. Keeps it really clean! And cheap

Not sure how much work you want to do, but I saw this video a couple months back and thought you might be interested. I would think this would be about as sand proof as and RC can get. But no one manufactures these, you would have to custom make it yourself. It also seems like it might create a bit of a heat issue on hot days, completely covering your whole RC in fabric would significantly reduce the air flow over the ESC and motor.

When running on some gravel paths last summer, I noticed later when I inverted the Nero to remove the batteries some loose gravel fell out. I did not like the idea of that getting into the main drive gears. I also run a bit in the snow and would like to keep as much of it out as possible. Thanks for the suggestion on the "Dusty Motors" cover as I saw other cheap methods but they looked like a pain to deal with. I ordered one for my Nero about 2 weeks ago and just received it today. Took all of 15 minutes to install (with the help of the video). Looking forward to some snow fun up here in NY with the Nero.

When running on some gravel paths last summer, I noticed later when I inverted the Nero to remove the batteries some loose gravel fell out. I did not like the idea of that getting into the main drive gears. I also run a bit in the snow and would like to keep as much of it out as possible. Thanks for the suggestion on the "Dusty Motors" cover as I saw other cheap methods but they looked like a pain to deal with. I ordered one for my Nero about 2 weeks ago and just received it today. Took all of 15 minutes to install (with the help of the video). Looking forward to some snow fun up here in NY with the Nero.
Hey Larry. Love the covers, but my super sexy dollar store panty hose covers are holding up, and cheap. Takes a bit of time getting them on, just like when a woman does it, but peels back easy when I need to work on it.

Attachments

• 20181223_133518[1].jpg
    20181223_133518[1].jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 104
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back