I need some serious skooling on wheel and tire sizing please?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingpin

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
It seems every time I look at wheels(rims) the only spec they give is height ie. 1.9", 2.2", 3.8" etc.
What about width?
How do I know or find out what fits what?
For instance. I have a set of 3.8" belted trenchers that I would like new wheels(rims) for?
I also have a set of Duratrax Hatchet X belted that I want to try and find rims for.
Both are premounted(glued) on factory rims.

Also when you remove a stock tire from a glued rim from the vids I've seen the tires look all deformed afterwards at least the beads.
Do you run the risk of ruining the tires when removing them from the rims?

Ungluing tires is some bullshit I done it with stock foams on typhon 6s but you need extra sets of tires so hope you have time it does work. Acetone seal lid and sit 24 hrs or longer and add more glue

I run 2.8 badlands, proline avengers 2.8 on 6s is fun drifting but gets annoying. grp s5 same stupid drifting those are speed tires but good traction for reals. S3 are my go to on street but not dirt no traction. Badlands run good on anything surface flips on asphalt mad grip and dirt man it’s a beast

Whatever tires you get clean em and peel em back a little and add little more tire glue.

I’ve been on badlands for a yr on 6s and still have plenty of tread
Ungluing tires is some bullshit I done it with stock foams on typhon 6s but you need extra sets of tires so hope you have time it does work. Acetone seal lid and sit 24 hrs or longer and add more glue

I run 2.8 badlands, proline avengers 2.8 on 6s is fun drifting but gets annoying. grp s5 same stupid drifting those are speed tires but good traction for reals. S3 are my go to on street but not dirt no traction. Badlands run good on anything surface flips on asphalt mad grip and dirt man it’s a beast

Whatever tires you get clean em and peel em back a little and add little more tire glue.

I’ve been on badlands for a yr on 6s and still have plenty of tread
[/https://youtu.be/Qaq7X-NqtQc

For many wheel size, the width is pretty standard to each diameter. So all 2.8 wheels will be the same width, all 3.8 will be the same, etc. You do need to watch 2.2 and 2.1 wheel sizes, though, they come in several widths for 2wd buggy front, 2wd buggy rear, 4wd buggy front, and MT (And maybe a few others).

The other thing to watch is the offset. Offset is screwy because some MFGR will measure from the center of the rim (so a zero offset has the wheel nut flush with the front of the wheel) and some measure from the centerline (so a zero offset has a recessed wheel nut).

I personally wouldn't try removing tyres from wheels again unless if the tyres are completely worn out or ripped. I've tried removing some buggy tyres off of wheels using acetone before and they were a bit of a nightmare. The tyre beads were a bit scuffed and shredded and the wheels still had cured glue and bead bits on them. Some melt the glue by leaving them in the oven (baking) but I personally think it's not worth the risk or hastle. Better off getting new sets!

The heights, e.g. 2.8" (usually for 1/10) and 3.8" (for 1/8) and so on refer to the diameter of the wheel rim, where the tyres mount on to. However, tyre height and width can vary a lot and sometimes aren't listed in the description. Examples:

3.8 Badlands
5.85" tall 2.72" wide (fairly short and narrow)

3.8 Trencher X's
6.50" tall 4.15" wide (fairly tall and very wide)

3.8 Backflips
6.80" tall 3.00" wide (very tall and fairly narrow)

Some melt the glue by leaving them in the oven (baking) but I personally think it's not worth the risk or hastle. Better off getting new sets!

Baking them crystallizes the CA glue and if done right, a bit of pressure applied to the tire and the bead pops off the wheel. Usualy the glue sticks to the tire though. I just rough up the tire glued area with a dremel and sanding wheel, then remount.
2010-0214-TireBake01.jpg

I haven't done it in a long time, but I was removing all my tires from 14mm 3.2" MT wheels to try and use some of them on new 17mm 3.2 MT wheels. A few of them tore as the bead area/sidewall was chewed up really bad. Most of them didn't though.

Sure made the house stink for a few hours.

I personally wouldn't try removing tyres from wheels again unless if the tyres are completely worn out or ripped. I've tried removing some buggy tyres off of wheels using acetone before and they were a bit of a nightmare. The tyre beads were a bit scuffed and shredded and the wheels still had cured glue and bead bits on them. Some melt the glue by leaving them in the oven (baking) but I personally think it's not worth the risk or hastle. Better off getting new sets!

The heights, e.g. 2.8" (usually for 1/10) and 3.8" (for 1/8) and so on refer to the diameter of the wheel rim, where the tyres mount on to. However, tyre height and width can vary a lot and sometimes aren't listed in the description. Examples:

3.8 Badlands
5.85" tall 2.72" wide (fairly short and narrow)

3.8 Trencher X's
6.50" tall 4.15" wide (fairly tall and very wide)

3.8 Backflips
6.80" tall 3.00" wide (very tall and fairly narrow)
Seems like the best option if any is new tires and and new wheels to start from scratch.

Yup as you menion the tire width is the problem.
It seems like a crap shoot especially when you want something unique to separate you from the rest by using something different.

Seems like the best option if any is new tires and and new wheels to start from scratch.

Yup as you menion the tire width is the problem.
It seems like a crap shoot especially when you want something unique to separate you from the rest by using something different.
I wouldn't worry about anything that's unique and different. There are reasons why some wheels and tyres are more popular than others ?

I've found the Backflip LPs and Pro-Line Shockwave size have been perfect for my Notorious - they're both 6" tall and around 3" wide. I don't like wider, heavier tyres. They can add more strain on your servo and diffs, and usually corner like sh*t. Backflip LPs are a favourite and I'm sure others will agree ?

If you want something different, you can mount (most) 3.8 tyres on any 3.8 wheels (of the same type) and you'll have an uncommon combo

I tried the acetone method so I could tape my horrendous balloning badlands and it worked a treat, did one a time, carefully dremel dremelled the ca left with a sanding drum and it was a lot easier than I was expecting ?

What will happen with TrencherX on the rear and stock backflips on the front of my Notorious on 6s ? Just wondering before I try it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back