I need to “Vent”. Literally!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpinRush_C1

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
As in vent my frustration. Haha, clickbaited here. No, no, it`s not about me being stressed out. I’m sitting here with the tires in front of me and I can’t cover the holes on the inside of the tire. Nothing seems to stick. I cleaned my Typhon 6S today. That went well. I tried to customized the body with my own stickers. That didn’t go well. The shell doesn’t like heat guns. It’s okay, I caught it quickly.

Let me walk you through what I have here for this Vent Tire project.
9FB05E63-C49A-4DDF-A48F-1AB4BD092EE1.jpeg

This power tape did not work at all. I tried electrical tape as well. Nothing sticks to cover the hole on the inside of the tire. Now, I don’t know what to get to cover that hole.
C8959159-7216-49E9-9639-A202AC6FE00C.jpeg
D4E1A901-B4BA-4EBA-818C-5F29F0AE1963.jpeg

I got these diamond tipped tube drill bits. I have 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm. Not sure which is best. I was ready to go. If I can’t get this holes covered, I can’t vent right?

Last question. My tires are directional, correct? Is this the mark that tells me the direction to put the tires back on the rig?
96617E77-9F60-496F-AD60-C48F93C16D6D.jpeg

In this picture below you can see I got the wheels all cleaned up.
13965556-A4C1-4A61-9D2F-248054577763.jpeg

I will check this thread again later in hopes that somebody has a good solution.

I used acetone to clean the inside and taped the holes with electrical tape. Been going strong for close to a year. The next ones I'll probably do with gorilla tape, as it's quite a bit stickier. And yes, those arrows are the direction of tire spin.

I just squeezed one of the tires and water came out. DAMN! Should I order new tires right now? DAMN, I can’t believe this. Is there a silicone or clay sealant I can use? I tried electrical tape. It did not stick! The power tape....nothing. Why don’t they put that in the Instruction Manual? “You should make ventilation holes in your tires before operating this vehicle”. There must be an alternative solution if the tape won’t stick.
I used acetone to clean the inside and taped the holes with electrical tape. Been going strong for close to a year. The next ones I'll probably do with gorilla tape, as it's quite a bit stickier. And yes, those arrows are the direction of tire spin.

Is this the tape that you used?

86640CB6-37F1-4C45-903F-C52C34D2EF1E.png

I just squeezed one of the tires and water came out. DAMN! Should I order new tires right now? DAMN, I can’t believe this. Is there a silicone or clay sealant I can use? I tried electrical tape. It did not stick! The power tape....nothing. Why don’t they put that in the Instruction Manual? “You should make ventilation holes in your tires before operating this vehicle”. There must be an alternative solution if the tape won’t stick.

Is this the tape that you used?

View attachment 59366
Yep, that's the tape you want. You want to clean around the vent hole with some solvent, like acetone. It'll stick much better.

I had the same issue with with tape not sticking on my outcast tires. So I took a red scotch bright pad and lightly scuffed around the the vent holes and wiped down with acetone then added a dab of shoe goo in each hole and reapplied the gorilla tape. Worked like a charm and that's what I have been doing with all my tires since.

A little alcohol on a clean rag, let dry, cut a small piece of gorilla tape with hobby knife and wahala.

Silicone sealer work's. Venting is a must if you want your tyres to last. One tip is once you have vented don't spin the car up indoors or there will be crap all over the celling ?

My question is if it's more advantageous for the tires to be vented instead of the wheel (which makes sense to me), why don't manufacturers offer sets of wheels/tires vented that way?

I skipped the taping of the inner hub hole, tried a different strategy because I’m weird and think that at high RPM the balance of the wheels (w/tape) might be effected messing up the bearings over time. I just took a dab of epoxy/rubber cement or similar with a toothpick and filled in the hole. So far so good!

My question is if it's more advantageous for the tires to be vented instead of the wheel (which makes sense to me), why don't manufacturers offer sets of wheels/tires vented that way?
Well the holes on the outside of the tire helps balooning and gets rid of water and debris, something that a little hole in the inside of the wheel can't do. I believe Proline has a tire thats vented from the factory. My guess is that manufacturers don't vent tires for warranty reasons.

GRP tires, Mohave tires, and some others are vented from the factory.

I think you on to something @arrmadillo it has to be a warranty reason.
Think about it, if a tire rips apart for any reason, even someone hitting a curb or cutting it on a nail, piece of glass or anything, the consumer would say it just flew apart when I was just driving at 30 mph. Manufacturers are not going to drill holes in the tires just for that reason alone. Like I said, think Proline offers a vented tire, but sure it's a good quality tire.

I think you on to something @arrmadillo it has to be a warranty reason.
or better it doesn't match their manufacturing process molded and done with vs needing to put them somewhere to punch them I got myself the Fastrax Tyre Hole Punch Tool which in 90% of cases doesn't do its job ...

I have never had a tire that came vented by manufacturer, been away awhile lol.

Why not vent the tires, and just leave the wheel vents as well?
What is the downside to having both vents? Would leaving the wheel vents as is help a little bith with anything trapped in the inner parts of the wheels?
Or is is soley to keep water out when cleaning?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back