i need your opinion squids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My opinion. I have a 2014 Ninja 300 that I have been riding for 3.5 years now. I love that bike to death, it will do everything you ever want it to. I have put around 19k miles on it as a commuter and trip bike. I have traveled to 3 states with it in the brutal heat and freezing cold. I once passed a Razer on a sand road on it. I can throw my saddle bags on it and go anywhere. I have totaled and rebuilt that bike. Sure it maxes out around 110mph, but I don't care. My dad has a Ninja 650 and Ninja 1000 that I like to ride (and my gf appreciates the bigger, comfier bikes on long trips), but a smaller bike has made me a better rider and the accidents and drops didn't hurt nearly as bad financially. It is easy to work on and easy to ride.

In terms of the price, eh, its a little high compared to when I bought my bike, but idk about now. Used prices are wacky. I got mine at 800 miles for 2.8k in 2018, but it was not in a super populated area. All that being said, if you can afford a Ninja 400 go for it. Its lighter and produces more power while looking better and being more modern, its a better bike full stop.

Do I wish I had a bigger bike sometimes? Sure, but that 300 punches above its weight class like you wouldn't believe. I didn't think it could handle going 90 with me and my gf with gear, but it can. Any faster and she starts squeezing me to death anyway. I cant wait for a day where I have a ZX-6R, decked out Goldwing (for the gf), and every other bike under the sun, but alas, I am poor. Get what you can afford and practice, practice, practice. And wear your gear, it'll save your life, it sure as poop has saved mine already. Oh, and be ready for insurance. My 1st year (18 years old at the time) was 1500 dollars a year for damn near liability and no medical on a 3k dollar bike lol. I am 21 now and I switched to progressive and am down to like 800 bucks a year with better coverage (no medical still, thanks for the insurance Dad), but it's a big price point.

Hay just remember any bike is better than no bike

Most likely your first bike you will only keep for a year or two then trade up or get a second bike

So get what you like and get out on 2 wheels

If you like rockets that fine with me but once you go Harley you will never go back

If you're a new rider, attending the motorcycle safety foundation training class is a great way to learn and cut your insurance rates. I'm a commuter and while I like my Triumph, my dual sport Suzuki DR 650 is my favorite. A bike like this also makes for a good starter bike since it's not as fragile as a bike with full bodywork. Good luck with your new adventure!

of course.. my mistake for thinking you could take a corner
Pic of you dragging a knee… you’ve got a long way to go jr.
Do yourself a favor and hit up a riding school.. Team Hammer at Daytona is a good start. I’m not sure if Jeff may is still teaching there, but I guarantee after a weekend there you’d be a lot more humble

Do yourself a favor and hit up a riding school.. Team Hammer at Daytona is a good start. I’m not sure if Jeff may is still teaching there, but I guarantee after a weekend there you’d be a lot more humble
Most of the clowns on rockets I’ve raced leave too hard, front end at the moon🤣 I’m gone! They can’t ride around me either. I’ve raced bikes that would make me look stupid but most are inexperienced.

Most of the clowns on rockets I’ve raced leave too hard, front end at the moon🤣 I’m gone! They can’t ride around me either. I’ve raced bikes that would make me look stupid but most are inexperienced.
Agreed.. I did some racing on the CCS southeast division and I used to love seeing the busa’s run off in the corners thinking that because it was fast in a straight line it’s got to be fast on a road course. I saw many get there bikes loaded in milk crates for the ride home 😂
Turn 2 at Daytona at 160 and then coming onto the transition to the back straight is something that will definitely get your heart working

lean??? i just turn the handle bars like everyone else
Hay just remember any bike is better than no bike

Most likely your first bike you will only keep for a year or two then trade up or get a second bike

So get what you like and get out on 2 wheels

If you like rockets that fine with me but once you go Harley you will never go back
yeah im gonna go with a ninja 400 then someday a zx-6 and maybe something after that

lean??? i just turn the handle bars like everyone else

yeah im gonna go with a ninja 400 then someday a zx-6 and maybe something after that
Yep! You got it. You’ll be in a box in no time 👍🏼

Yep! You got it. You’ll be in a box in no time 👍🏼
yeah im deffinitly going to go to a school for it nut what are some smart mods that should do to the 400 with it being my first bike?
ive drivven a few 200ish cc bikes and ive noticed that im a very tense rides and tend to go a bit slow but do stopid stuff(launching at stops and revving the everloving crap out of it

yeah im deffinitly going to go to a school for it nut what are some smart mods that should do to the 400 with it being my first bike?
ive drivven a few 200ish cc bikes and ive noticed that im a very tense rides and tend to go a bit slow but do stopid stuff(launching at stops and revving the everloving crap out of it

The first mod should be to your ego. I don't mean that in a rude way nor am I saying anything about you as a person, but both of my serious accidents were from showing off and I have a friend in a wheelchair who was showing off wheelies. As you ride more you will relax more, but you must be aware of your surroundings, check your mirrors often, and ride like everyone is a hit man trying to kill you. As long as you spend some of your spare time practicing (I spent about an hour or two after work making a circuit in empty parking lots, practicing dragging rear brake and slow stuff. Fast is easy), you'll be golden. My current gf is the only person I've ever met that thinks the bike is kinda cool.

In terms of bike mods the Ninja 400 is set up pretty good. If it were my bike I would immediately add the best frame sliders you can find (saved my bike multiple times) and change the oil drain bolt to an oil drain valve. Makes oil changes even easier and no more crush washer to deal with! I'd also add full underglow, but I'm essentially a moth to lights. I also switched to a lithium battery, lighter and better, and replaced the stock horn with Hella Supertones. You can also get a slip-on exhaust if you want to change the sound of the bike, but I don't believe in the loud pipes save lives thing.

I also added a TPMS system to my bike and I carry a tire plug kit and IFAK with me. Speaking of tools, get some chain cleaner and chain wax and maintain the chain properly or you'll need a new one within 5k miles. When you need new tires I recommend Michelin Road 5's or 6's. Waaay better than stock. Make sure to get a bike with ABS! You are not better at pulsing the brake than the computer! I love my Sena headset. Listening to music while riding is great. Olympia makes great jackets, TCX great shoes, Shoei great helmets (the Scorpion AT950 I'd AMAZING for less than 300 though), and Dainese and Rev-it gloves fit my hands well. Rev-it jackets are also good, I've crash tested those.

Can't think of much else. Sorry if it seems all over the place, I'm at work and just writing. snippets down that come to mind

Man this thread is all over the place.
A bunch of dudes just making fun of someone just trying to start.
Like 2 gave legitimate advice.
Wtf was with the keyboard warrior / Harley diss, hopefully just a joke.

Now to real answers:
1) the experienced riders recommend a beginner start with less than a 600 sport bike (which are stupid fast)
2) regarding the actual bike in question: overpriced. (Almost new price for a 9 year old bike, you can do A LOT better)
3) mods…. I know you’re excited but don’t waste money on “mods” you’ll need the cash to fix it after you drop it. Here’s your list of mods: first of all good safety gear, second: good tires, the end.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back