I really need help with LiPo's for a Granite 4x4 V3 BLX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firsttimer1

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all. First post here. Reddit told me to try this forum out. I've been wanting to grab a Granite 4x4 for some time. Just something to do once in a while when I take the kids to the park. I probably would have the RC car already, but I'm losing my mind with all this battery information. Looks like to get a proper battery setup will cost about the same as the truck itself, along with the fact that they need to be stored in fire bags and outside the house etc.

I'm totally lost. Aside from all the options, they all have different connectors, and then you need adaptors and "balance wires"? What is going on?! What is a balance wire? I'm an older guy and I remember friends that had the gas powered RC cars being a pain when I was younger.

Everyone says Spektrum is the best bet but they seem almost double the price than some other options, and the chargers seem to work with just their own batteries.

If someone can help me out here and make some solid recommendations that a beginner can work with I would appreciate it.

Also, I'd like to start with 2S or else I'll probably just wrap it around a tree or into a parked car.

Thanks.

These are great batteries. ($50) I have only received one bad battery from this brand, and their customer service replaced it right away. I am assuming you have the VXL that came with IC5 connectors??? If so, they are compatible with EC5.
https://www.amazon.com/Powerhobby-7...89&sprefix=power+hobby+2s+EC5,aps,132&sr=8-13

I have been using this charge for about 4 years now with no issues. ($129)
https://www.amazon.com/Hitec-RCD-Bl...mzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

Just my 2 cents, but a good place to start. It is recommended to get a LIPO bag or just grab an ammo can to store LIPO batteries in. I have never had any issues with batteries catching fire. I just keep mine on a shelf in my garage.

Welcome aboard.. many batteries have ic5 and xt90 I don’t remember which is on the 3s lineup. And spekturm isn’t the best. They make it sound like it. “Double the price” when you could have 3 or more batteries for the same price. Along with a charger there’s many budget friendly options.. hopefully we can point you in the right direction!

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm assuming this charger can also discharge them for storage mode? I was also recommended the gens-ace-r-spam IMARS dual from two guys on reddit. They seem similar but looks like you need to learn all of the functions.

Welcome aboard.. many batteries have ic5 and xt90 I don’t remember which is on the 3s lineup. And spekturm isn’t the best. They make it sound like it. “Double the price” when you could have 3 or more batteries for the same price. Along with a charger there’s many budget friendly options.. hopefully we can point you in the right direction!
Welcome to the Arrma Forum, @firsttimer1 !

The connectors are the IC5 connectors for the 3s line.

Considering batteries, a lot of forum members swear by CNHL, though I will say to keep an eye out for deals on their website as it'll make the batteries that much better of a deal.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm assuming this charger can also discharge them for storage mode? I was also recommended the gens-ace-r-spam IMARS dual from two guys on reddit. They seem similar but looks like you need to learn all of the functions.
The Hi-Tec charger can take fully charged batteries and discharge them to storage mode.

Yeah don't go for the "Smart"Spektrum lipos and chargers. You saw that many recommend them? :unsure:Remember that misery loves company. :giggle:Stay with the Dumb lipos. They are more mainstream with this hobby and won't break the bank or wallet. But a few Lipos and a charger will always be a necessity for most any RC electric model. An initial investment that is just a prerequisite. No matter what model or brand RC car/ truck you buy. Aprox $150. should get you 2 decent packs and a nice charger. Maybe even for less $$. But a better charger will allow you to grow with this hobby. At some point you may want a more powerful 4s-6s lipo for that next new RC truck or car. That initial charger investment needs to be a good choice. Always try and avoid buying twice. The hobby is expensive enough as it is. ISDT makes nice chargers. I just got the 2 channel K2 Air. Ac/Dc charger. Happy with it. There are less expensive ones. But this will charge 2 lipos together. You pay more for that.
Baby steps.
There is much info here on AF about the care and feeding of RC lipos. Good luck.
Welcome to AF.
:cool:

Last edited:
But a better charger will allow you to grow with this hobby. At some point you may want a more powerful 4s-6s lipo for that next new RC truck or car. That initial charger investment needs to be a good choice. Always try and avoid buying twice.

Welcome, firsttimer1! I'm new here too, also from Reddit, and it's been a great resource & community already.

And SrC's point, above, is well-said. When getting into LiPos for a different RC hobby, I did a bunch of chargers research, and (despite being chea.... I mean value-conscious) I bought something better than the entry-level chargers that were commonly mentioned.

I found that to be very helpful. It meant I could charge quickly. And better care for my batteries, since the discharge feature of my charger was at least quicker (at 20W) vs the dog-slow discharges of the cheap chargers (5W), so it was reasonable to discharge the packs that afternoon if I could not use them. Together, it let me spend more time having fun, and less time waiting for the charger.

That was nice benefit for enjoying the hobby. And also being able to better take advantage of good weather, etc. For aircraft, a nice afternoon with a calm breeze may be something I need to take advantage of quickly; it's no good if it's gotten windy by the time the batteries all finish charging.

Welcome, firsttimer1! I'm new here too, also from Reddit, and it's been a great resource & community already.

And SrC's point, above, is well-said. When getting into LiPos for a different RC hobby, I did a bunch of chargers research, and (despite being chea.... I mean value-conscious) I bought something better than the entry-level chargers that were commonly mentioned.

I found that to be very helpful. It meant I could charge quickly. And better care for my batteries, since the discharge feature of my charger was at least quicker (at 20W) vs the dog-slow discharges of the cheap chargers (5W), so it was reasonable to discharge the packs that afternoon if I could not use them. Together, it let me spend more time having fun, and less time waiting for the charger.

That was nice benefit for enjoying the hobby. And also being able to better take advantage of good weather, etc. For aircraft, a nice afternoon with a calm breeze may be something I need to take advantage of quickly; it's no good if it's gotten windy by the time the batteries all finish charging.
Thank you. Which charger did you end up going with?

Thank you. Which charger did you end up going with?

This was a long time ago, so the specs (for comparison) are probably more useful than the charger model # :)

It is an iCharger 106B+, handles 2S-6S LiPos, with max outputs of 10A, and 250W. To make full use of the charger's output limits, it is a better "fit" for charging 6S packs, vs 3S. When charging 3S, hitting the 10A output limit is only 125W, so you're only using half of the 250W power capability. But when charging 6S, the 10A output limit is also 250W, so you're getting as much output from the charger as possible (hitting both limits together).

If you would be charging 3S or smaller packs, their 206B model is kind of a better fit, with 20A and 300W output. So you can put a full 20A into 3S packs, drawing 250W. This higher current could be useful for charging a single pack more quickly (like 5000mAh at a very aggressive 3C, so 15A). Or for charging (3) 5000mAh packs in parallel at a gentle 1C, which is also 15A.

Again, these are old chargers, but the specs would allow comparison with current charger specs.

For charging 2S or 3S, if you found a charger with that sort of specs ratio, like 10A/125W, 20A/250W, etc, you would avoid hitting one limit far before the other. To exaggerate, a 5A/250W charger, charging 2S packs, could put out 5A, but that would only be 40W, so most of the power-output limit (250W) would be unused. For 6S, the power in that ratio is doubled, so 10A/250W, 20A/500W.

An introduction to charging is likely a useful resource. These are two examples from some quick Googling, as at least a starting point:

https://fpvfc.org/beginners-guide-to-lipo-batteries

https://www.icharger.co.nz/introduction-to-lipo-batteries

This was a long time ago, so the specs (for comparison) are probably more useful than the charger model # :)

It is an iCharger 106B+, handles 2S-6S LiPos, with max outputs of 10A, and 250W. To make full use of the charger's output limits, it is a better "fit" for charging 6S packs, vs 3S. When charging 3S, hitting the 10A output limit is only 125W, so you're only using half of the 250W power capability. But when charging 6S, the 10A output limit is also 250W, so you're getting as much output from the charger as possible (hitting both limits together).

If you would be charging 3S or smaller packs, their 206B model is kind of a better fit, with 20A and 300W output. So you can put a full 20A into 3S packs, drawing 250W. This higher current could be useful for charging a single pack more quickly (like 5000mAh at a very aggressive 3C, so 15A). Or for charging (3) 5000mAh packs in parallel at a gentle 1C, which is also 15A.

Again, these are old chargers, but the specs would allow comparison with current charger specs.

For charging 2S or 3S, if you found a charger with that sort of specs ratio, like 10A/125W, 20A/250W, etc, you would avoid hitting one limit far before the other. To exaggerate, a 5A/250W charger, charging 2S packs, could put out 5A, but that would only be 40W, so most of the power-output limit (250W) would be unused. For 6S, the power in that ratio is doubled, so 10A/250W, 20A/500W.

An introduction to charging is likely a useful resource. These are two examples from some quick Googling, as at least a starting point:

https://fpvfc.org/beginners-guide-to-lipo-batteries

https://www.icharger.co.nz/introduction-to-lipo-batteries

This is great information. Thanks for taking the time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back