Limitless I think I found the holy grail of motor in a limitless for stock layout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoBelugas

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
my apologies if someone already used this et up, I don’t come here often so it’s entirely possible I missed it.

As most of you know the limitless has a most annoying limit on the motor length if you want to use both battery trays. So I spent some time on tppower website and found a solution that approches the power of the 4070CM 2200kv but fits in the stock locsirom

to do so you need to build one

https://www.tppowerusa.com/motors/build-your-own/tp-56xx-series/tp-5650

-3Y with 32v limit so 8s is fine even when freshly charged since battery voltage will sag a bit
-more importantly a wye wind so castle 8s or xlx2 don’t burst into flames
-262amp peak, even the MMX8s can handle with with ease
-now the most important part, when you choose v2 body, it is supposed to be 83mm in can length which means...it should fit the stock motor location.
-I ordered the PPS mount with 30mm insert so it will have a chance of fitting.

peak power is 8400w so not far off the 4070cm, but the ability to use two fat 4s batteries in a limitless body(may need to be raised a bit depending on fit) is delicious.
anyway, we will see how it fits when it arrives.

That is a big can of worms..
https://www.astrodynetdi.com/blog/3-phase-delta-vs-wye but plenty of other write-ups.

In general and all things being equal i.e. motor winding (wire count) and magnets.
Wye (Y) has higher low end torque, lower in-rush current, less power consumption and less power and less high end torque.
If you connect these same windings in 'delta'
You have high current on low end but less torque but higher torque and more power at top end.
There is rather complex math involved but for simplicity it's Wye to delta conversion is squareroot of 3 (Factor 1.73x conversion)

In short, if a Wye motor has 1000W of power and you connect it in delta, it has 1730W of power.
Obviously the motor windings have to be designed to withstand the current.

The larger motors have a wire interface where this is configurable. Typical industrial applications have a motor start up in Wye and switch over to delta to avoid the low end current spikes.

That is a big can of worms..
https://www.astrodynetdi.com/blog/3-phase-delta-vs-wye but plenty of other write-ups.

In general and all things being equal i.e. motor winding (wire count) and magnets.
Wye (Y) has higher low end torque, lower in-rush current, less power consumption and less power and less high end torque.
If you connect these same windings in 'delta'
You have high current on low end but less torque but higher torque and more power at top end.
There is rather complex math involved but for simplicity it's Wye to delta conversion is squareroot of 3 (Factor 1.73x conversion)

In short, if a Wye motor has 1000W of power and you connect it in delta, it has 1730W of power.
Obviously the motor windings have to be designed to withstand the current.

The larger motors have a wire interface where this is configurable. Typical industrial applications have a motor start up in Wye and switch over to delta to avoid the low end current spikes.
Thanks chap, v v useful!

Hey dude, any good sources for how motor winds affect performance? Need to read up :)
Jkflow beat me to it.

My reasoning for opting for the y-wind was before Castle issued their advisory on not running D wind on their xlx-2 and, for some reason, MMX8S, I had a hunch the D wind in most high rpm TP motors is part of the reason why so many fires are happening With the xlx2. since castle motors are y wind motors I figured since there is a 3y 56xx motor that could fit in the original location, well, whag else can one ask for?

Here is the motor next to a relatively skinny looking 4070CM
50861392571_44f3bcf886_h.jpg

what would pull a higher top speed? 3y 1920kv on 6s or 4y 1440kv on 8s ?
the math comes out to 48384 rpm for both setups. would the 8s handle a bigger pinion for speed running?
The 4y would pull less amps through your esc, leaving you more room to torture the motor with high gears.
In an other thread, analyses of hi/low kv on for the same can size, indicated some marginal better efficiency for lower kv versions.

what would pull a higher top speed? 3y 1920kv on 6s or 4y 1440kv on 8s ?
the math comes out to 48384 rpm for both setups. would the 8s handle a bigger pinion for speed running?
I don’t think there is enough data points for me to say for this application. I did get a pair of these puppies with QS8 connectors, so I figured I don’t have a bottleneck at the esc, battery or connectors.
https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_96&product_id=571

It will take about six or seven weeks, that’s how long it took mine to ship. Throw in Lunar New Year up in there, hopefully you can get it before end of March.

glad i ordered it in the winter. lots of snow here so i wont be running the car anytime soon.
after ordering last night i had a worry that this may not fit in stock location without a massive pinion or it will hit the outdrive cup on the spool. i hope i am wrong. have you fit yours yet??
what would i use for cooling options for this motor?

Last edited:
As for speedrunning. 34/34 with the 1440kv on 8S will give you a final drive that 'could' reach up to 160mph, but loss due efficiency and the wye configuration performing better in midrange rpm, you might even want a larger pinion to find the sweet spot.

I don't have a 50t diff at hand, so i cant validate. But matching it with a 20t sound about right, a few extra teeth will certainly fit.

As for speedrunning. 34/34 with the 1440kv on 8S will give you a final drive that 'could' reach up to 160mph, but loss due efficiency and the wye configuration performing better in midrange rpm, you might even want a larger pinion to find the sweet spot.

I don't have a 50t diff at hand, so i cant validate. But matching it with a 20t sound about right, a few extra teeth will certainly fit.
sweet, thank you!

my apologies if someone already used this et up, I don’t come here often so it’s entirely possible I missed it.

As most of you know the limitless has a most annoying limit on the motor length if you want to use both battery trays. So I spent some time on tppower website and found a solution that approches the power of the 4070CM 2200kv but fits in the stock locsirom

-3Y with 32v limit so 8s is fine even when freshly charged since battery voltage will sag a bit
-now the most important part, when you choose v2 body, it is supposed to be 83mm in can length which means...it should fit the stock motor location.

peak power is 8400w so not far off the 4070cm, but the ability to use two fat 4s batteries in a limitless body(may need to be raised a bit depending on fit) is delicious.
OP - can you let us know how this turned out for you? I and possibly many others are quite interested in your findings...

Hi
Good catch! The 56xx series (to5650) are 6 pole motors. Any restrictions with the 6 pole motors? All the motor that I can see with speedrunners are 4 poles.

Hi
Good catch! The 56xx series (to5650) are 6 pole motors. Any restrictions with the 6 pole motors? All the motor that I can see with speedrunners are 4 poles.
6 Pole motors don't like high rpm's as much as 4 pole motors, but generally they have a lower kv and are run on higher gearing so they run lower rpm's anyways.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back