I upgraded my Servo to a SAVOX on my v3 KRATON but need some help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I run two Max6's and a Castle Mamba Monster X and the Savox at 7.4v is outstanding.
The Powerhd is also outstanding on 6v and will work perfect with a Max 6
but you run a bec correct? Trying to stay away from running one
I understand it's a little consfusing now.
Let me explain:
An esc has an internal bec. On some it is fixed at 6v output, on some (mostly more expensive) it is adjustable to a higher voltage, like 7.4 volt.

Next is an external bec which has to be connected directly to your batteries. These can also be set to different voltages. An advantage is it will take some load of the esc.

So a BLX185 esc has a fixed internal bec output voltage of 6v. If you want to run a high voltage servo at 7.4v you need an external bec. You can still run a high voltage servo at 6v but it will be more powerful and faster on 7.4 volt.

Last edited:
Instead of starting a new thread figured I ask the question here since it’s relevant. I’ve got a stock 2050kv arrma motor and I’m building an outcast from scratch and I’m wondering what’s the best esc to pair with it. Do I just go with a stock blx185 or get like a hex6 or a Max6. I read the Max6 is rated for 1500kv and under motor so if I got a Max6 would I need like a hobby star 1480? Is it risky to put a Max6 with that 2050kv stock motor? Just need some advice so I don’t fry my electronics
I'm running the stock blx 2050kv with a Max 6, it's doing fine so far. I just take lots of breaks and check my temps. You will probably need to do what I did however, and solder on some bigger leads then the 4mm ones that come on it. I used Castle 5.5mm bullets. The Max 6 motor lead wire it comes with wouldn't have a chance fitting in a 4mm.

I'm running the stock blx 2050kv with a Max 6, it's doing fine so far. I just take lots of breaks and check my temps. You will probably need to do what I did however, and solder on some bigger leads then the 4mm ones that come on it. I used Castle 5.5mm bullets. The Max 6 motor lead wire it comes with wouldn't have a chance fitting in a 4mm.

Okay cool thanks. And do you run it at 7.4v for an upgraded servo or anything. Use any external bec or cap packs with it ?

Okay cool thanks. And do you run it at 7.4v for an upgraded servo or anything. Use any external bec or cap packs with it ?
Don't need cap packs, it has three big ones already, used to run a Castle bec with the original 185 esc, the Max 6 has a HV bec built in. Just a couple button presses, and boom 7.4v supplied to my reciever, and fans.

Every modern ESC has a BEC.
Quite a few still lack decent current capability. I found that out this weekend when I was trying to run the savox 1210sg off an HPI Blur (rebadged castle mamba monster v1). I don't know what that esc is rated at, but it's less than the 7A the savox wanted. When I turned, you could very easily notice the esc/motor fan's drop to a very low rpm. If I quickly wiggled the steering wheel back and forth for 3-4 seconds, it dropped so low that my receiver lost comm and rebooted/linked. I went back to my old servo.

These days, many run an external bec to get more current as well as more voltage.

Don't need cap packs, it has three big ones already, used to run a Castle bec with the original 185 esc, the Max 6 has a HV bec built in. Just a couple button presses, and boom 7.4v supplied to my reciever, and fans.

Cool thanks for the advice. One more thing. What pinnion you running. I’ve got the high speed pinnion that came with it on and it got pretty damn hot till I put on the yeah racing duel fans

Sounds good guys thanks for all of the info and tips!! Saturdays are my bash days and Sundays its all about NFL FOOTBALL!!

GO -----
1570364429072.png

Instead of starting a new thread figured I ask the question here since it’s relevant. I’ve got a stock 2050kv arrma motor and I’m building an outcast from scratch and I’m wondering what’s the best esc to pair with it. Do I just go with a stock blx185 or get like a hex6 or a Max6. I read the Max6 is rated for 1500kv and under motor so if I got a Max6 would I need like a hobby star 1480? Is it risky to put a Max6 with that 2050kv stock motor? Just need some advice so I don’t fry my electronics
The Blx185 motor will be fine on the Max6, those kv ratings are for 1/6ths scale sized motors.
Quite a few still lack decent current capability. I found that out this weekend when I was trying to run the savox 1210sg off an HPI Blur (rebadged castle mamba monster v1). I don't know what that esc is rated at, but it's less than the 7A the savox wanted. When I turned, you could very easily notice the esc/motor fan's drop to a very low rpm. If I quickly wiggled the steering wheel back and forth for 3-4 seconds, it dropped so low that my receiver lost comm and rebooted/linked. I went back to my old servo.

These days, many run an external bec to get more current as well as more voltage.
Savox servos tend to be a bit power hungry, that's why the eBay ones come with a glitch buster.

What do you think about this servo? Why everbody loves the savox? is the savox with plastic cap or alloy?

Attachments

• servo.jpg
    servo.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 38
What do you think about this servo? Why everbody loves the savox? is the savox with plastic cap or alloy?
I've had 2 JX servos and when they worked they worked great, but neither of them lasted very long.

I've had 2 JX servos and when they worked they worked great, but neither of them lasted very long.
interesting... so the main issue is that jx do not last long as savox... but concerning to the performances , they are overall OK , aren`t they? i will try this on my new kraton... but I`am curiouse to know and to see how it works a savox... has the savox a plastic cap?

interesting... so the main issue is that jx do not last long as savox... but concerning to the performances , they are overall OK , aren`t they? i will try this on my new kraton... but I`am curiouse to know and to see how it works a savox... has the savox a plastic cap?
I bought some of the JX servos from banggood and the one I got is the fastest servo I’ve ever used. I haven’t bought a Savox before, so grain of salt. But these JX are stupid fast and strong.

Ok...so... by reading you, seems that jx is so far equal to savox? Just the life of it is not strong as the savox... can some of you answer me by telling me if the cap is a plastic or ally cap?jx is alluminium

Ok...so... by reading you, seems that jx is so far equal to savox? Just the life of it is not strong as the savox... can some of you answer me by telling me if the cap is a plastic or ally cap?jx is alluminium

The Savox has a plastic cap. Here are the specs compared to the Jx

Jx speed @6v: 0.14
Savox speed @6v: 0.15

Jx torque @6v: 37.5kg
Savox torque@6v: 30kg

Jx speed @7.4v: 0.12
Savox speed @7.4v: 0.13

Jx torque @7.4v: 46.9kg
Savox [email protected]: 32kg

The one thing to note is that the Jx is not listed as waterproof while the Savox is.

The Savox has a plastic cap. Here are the specs compared to the Jx

Jx speed @6v: 0.14
Savox speed @6v: 0.15

Jx torque @6v: 37.5kg
Savox torque@6v: 30kg

Jx speed @7.4v: 0.12
Savox speed @7.4v: 0.13

Jx torque @7.4v: 46.9kg
Savox [email protected]: 32kg

The one thing to note is that the Jx is not listed as waterproof while the Savox is.
Wow... nice! Thank you... ok so it’sonly about waterproof or not....on the paper seems that ix is slightly better....but not waterproof! Ok so ... i will test it and see how long it will resist and then i will search for a servo with alloy allaround ,waterproof and obviously no plastic inside!! I hate plastic things

Wow... nice! Thank you... ok so it’sonly about waterproof or not....on the paper seems that ix is slightly better....but not waterproof! Ok so ... i will test it and see how long it will resist and then i will search for a servo with alloy allaround ,waterproof and obviously no plastic inside!! I hate plastic things
If you only plan on running the servo on 6v, you might consider the Power HD that I compared in a recent post in the Electronics section. It is all aluminum, is waterproof and has very good specs at 6v. However it doesn't run on 7.4v.

The Powerhd is also outstanding on 6v and will work perfect with a Max 6

I understand it's a little consfusing now.
Let me explain:
An esc has an internal bec. On some it is fixed at 6v output, on some (mostly more expensive) it is adjustable to a higher voltage, like 7.4 volt.

Next is an external bec which has to be connected directly to your batteries. These can also be set to different voltages. An advantage is it will take some load of the esc.

So a BLX185 esc has a fixed internal bec output voltage of 6v. If you want to run a high voltage servo at 7.4v you need an external bec. You can still run a high voltage servo at 6v but it will be more powerful and faster on 7.4 volt.

Just to throw another one in the mix for additional confusion (Those who used to run nitro know about this)
You could alternatively run a small 2 cell LiFe battery into the receiver to power the BEC circuit at 7.2Volts fully charged.
Or LiPo but the LiPo fully charged at 8.4 volts (might over volt even these HV servos.)

Doing this requires pulling the BEC pin from the ESC to receiver.

Losi Nitro example: https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek...er-battery-pack-7.4v-2000mah-ptk-5171/p188054

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back