i want to build a mirco crawler course

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to do the same thing, I started sketching layouts and realized it might be easier to fake it as I go.

I want to build it in a sort of modular fashion so I can rearrange it to change up or add to the layout. It would also help with transporting if I want to bring it indoors. My idea is to use big sheets of insulation foam as my base, trim them to manageable size then just start building up scrap foam from packaging or whatever, to make my course.

There are lots of ways to finish it off depending how detailed you want to go with it. Now all I need is time! My little 1/24 Axial deadbolt is fun, especially for days when I can't go out and play. :)

I don't have any micro crawlers but sometimes I think about getting one and if I did I had this idea of using cardboard and bending/cutting/taping/shaping it however, then spraying it with cans of foam insulation that you get at the hardware store so when it dries it would have a rocky like terrain. And when it's still wet I thought maybe I could throw whatever in the foam like small sticks and pine needles or whatever. Then when it was dry maybe paint it whatever colors with spray paint.

The idea of it being cardboard and foam meant it would be really lightweight and I could store it easily and could set it up anywhere I wanted.

A few cans of great stuff and some truck bed liner would be good for keeping it light and giving it it traction
My father was a HO train modeler, would use medal screen (screen door screen) bent up and painted over with car undercoating to make realistic mountains. might work for some mini crawler features.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back