I want to make some Talion changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many have made them fit The 6s line chassis.
The motor, if the 1250 is a 50mm+ series Can, you may need the optional "50" series Arrma motor mount. Cheapest way to do it. IDK know much more.
Might need to get creative with mounting the 160 Sektrum 8s ESC also. But this is commonly done.
It's not plug and play if my memory serves me right. Even most Upgrade Brand ESC's and motors need some convincing to get them installed. I never did this exact swap myself.
I am sure others here will help with more info.

Many have made them fit The 6s line chassis.
The motor, if the 1250 is a 50mm+ series Can, you may need the optional "50" series Arrma motor mount. Cheapest way to do it. IDK know much more.
Might need to get creative with mounting the 160 Sektrum 8s ESC also. But this is commonly done.
It's not plug and play if my memory serves me right. Even most Upgrade Brand ESC's and motors need some convincing to get them installed. I never did this exact swap myself.
I am sure others here will help with more info.
I think you are correct, that he needs the optional 50 series motor plate and he will either need to grind the lip off the esc mount and just use double sided tape or get an aftermarket esc mount. iirc the Firma 160 has the same footprint as the Max6.

I did the 1250kv/160A esc swap into my k6. I think I ran a 20T pinion. Full M2C everything plus other goodies to up the weight. 50k rear 500k center and 20k front. With that system and everything else plus batteries it was pushing 18lbs. A porker for K6s, but with that 8s system in it, it was near impossible to control. That was on 6S. I stuffed two 4s in it ONCE. I couldn't even launch it without just burning out all over. It was not fun. Like double backs off of bump ramps at 3 mph.
I turned down the punch to 1 and it was still tough. I was running belted trenchers to deal with the pizza cutting action, but that didn't help much. It sounded fun at the time, but taking the time to really get a handle on it & master it that way was not worth my time. With a shorter wheelbase of the Talion, it will be even tougher imo. It definitely can be done, but when you spend time driving it at 1/16th throttle just to keep the power down...it gets old. I eventually went back to a max 8 and haven't looked back. Sometimes more power isn't necessarily better. It's just a challenge, and it can turn into a pissing contest with what people can shoehorn power systems into their cars online. My apologies if this is sounding dismissive, but that's just my take on it. Let us know what happens..
Also, if you're gonna try this, I highly recommend full diff rebuilds, shim them and go min 100k rear 1m or a spool in the center and 50k min front to keep things from exploding. Gear it up and high as you can go physically. The stock wheels will have zero chance of traction with that powertrain on any surface most likely.

Last edited:
I run the Spektrum 1250kv with 160amp esc in both my Kraton exb builds. Both have no issues and drive beautifully.
The mods needed to install very simple. I cut a 4 tabs off the esc. Use very strong double sided tape and 1 zip tie.
I don't know what mount your Talion has but the one that comes with but the one off the exb Kraton works just fine. A 23t pinion has it running hot so now I have a 21t at punch 3 and like where it's at.
What's cool about your post is I just tore down one Kraton for maintenance issues and thought why not build a Talion. So we can hold hands in this build lol. And my Kraton weight is 14lbs with this setup. Not sure why ragingbull's weight 18lbs 🤷‍♂️

20220929_233531.jpg

I run the Spektrum 1250kv with 160amp esc in both my Kraton exb builds. Both have no issues and drive beautifully.
The mods needed to install very simple. I cut a 4 tabs off the esc. Use very strong double sided tape and 1 zip tie.
I don't know what mount your Talion has but the one that comes with but the one off the exb Kraton works just fine. A 23t pinion has it running hot so now I have a 21t at punch 3 and like where it's at.
What's cool about your post is I just tore down one Kraton for maintenance issues and thought why not build a Talion. So we can hold hands in this build lol. And my Kraton weight is 14lbs with this setup. Not sure why ragingbull's weight 18lbs 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 246863
I did the zip tie also! Were you running 8s or 6s?Maybe I was exaggerating the 18lbs. Maybe 17+ when I added the belted trenchers are 8000mah gensacearespammers bashers to the mix. I'm glad you chimed in for a different perspective. A good consensus of different experiences can help someone come to their own conclusions. I was also using the stock slt3. Now I use a dx5 R so maybe that had something to do with it. Plus terrain, how you drive and what your goals are all factor in. Luckily it's an easy swap and if ya don't like it it's an easy peasy deal. I would leave the 160A esc in though. Oversized escs are a nice thing unless you have sub par batteries.

I did the 1250kv/160A esc swap into my k6. I think I ran a 20T pinion. Full M2C everything plus other goodies to up the weight. 50k rear 500k center and 20k front. With that system and everything else plus batteries it was pushing 18lbs. A porker for K6s, but with that 8s system in it, it was near impossible to control. That was on 6S. I stuffed two 4s in it ONCE. I couldn't even launch it without just burning out all over. It was not fun. Like double backs off of bump ramps at 3 mph.
I turned down the punch to 1 and it was still tough. I was running belted trenchers to deal with the pizza cutting action, but that didn't help much. It sounded fun at the time, but taking the time to really get a handle on it & master it that way was not worth my time. With a shorter wheelbase of the Talion, it will be even tougher imo. It definitely can be done, but when you spend time driving it at 1/16th throttle just to keep the power down...it gets old. I eventually went back to a max 8 and haven't looked back. Sometimes more power isn't necessarily better. It's just a challenge, and it can turn into a pissing contest with what people can shoehorn power systems into their cars online. My apologies if this is sounding dismissive, but that's just my take on it. Let us know what happens..
Also, if you're gonna try this, I highly recommend full diff rebuilds, shim them and go min 100k rear 1m or a spool in the center and 50k min front to keep things from exploding. Gear it up and high as you can go physically. The stock wheels will have zero chance of traction with that powertrain on any surface most likely.
Good info. Definitely something to consider. Ill gauge handling when I really get around to opening her up.

View attachment 246863
Nice. Yeah. The main reason for the swap is I don't want it going to waste. I har it in my felony but then swapped it out for a castle combo. I don't want to stretch my Typhon so this was the next possible option. Talion is completely stock. I have some good dual lock and could lock esc down with that no problem (its what I currently have on my xlx2) I definitely want the option of swapping back if I don't like how it runs as was previously stated.

I did the zip tie also! Were you running 8s or 6s?Maybe I was exaggerating the 18lbs. Maybe 17+ when I added the belted trenchers are 8000mah gensacearespammers bashers to the mix. I'm glad you chimed in for a different perspective. A good consensus of different experiences can help someone come to their own conclusions. I was also using the stock slt3. Now I use a dx5 R so maybe that had something to do with it. Plus terrain, how you drive and what your goals are all factor in. Luckily it's an easy swap and if ya don't like it it's an easy peasy deal. I would leave the 160A esc in though. Oversized escs are a nice thing unless you have sub par batteries.
I only run 6s in the system as 8s is just too much. I also use as much carbon fiber as possible and use 6000mah batteries. I 100% agree terrain is a huge factor in how the car drives and can be driven.

20220930_124912.jpg

I think that combo would be much better in a Talion XL or something, but it will for sure work. I have a 1/5th scale system in my Talion XL and it's one of my favorite rigs to bash. Thing drives beautifully and flies even better. I run it on 6s only and it's plenty of speed and power. The extra weight definitely has led to more damages though. My regular Talion with lighter electronics is way more durable.

TP 5660 (5692mm) 1460kv & mmx8s

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back