IC5 and XT90/XT60 Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nicely done video @sonicslp. I'd say the only thing I would recommend doing differently would be to only work with one wire at a time. Only cut one wire, solder it, then cut the next and solder it.

I know in the video you cover it with some tape, but I'd just rather be overly cautious and not have to worry about tape. It's a personal opinion, obviously either way works just fine.

Anyways, great info and great video, very nicely done.

Nicely done video @sonicslp. I'd say the only thing I would recommend doing differently would be to only work with one wire at a time. Only cut one wire, solder it, then cut the next and solder it.

I know in the video you cover it with some tape, but I'd just rather be overly cautious and not have to worry about tape. It's a personal opinion, obviously either way works just fine.

Anyways, great info and great video, very nicely done.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yep I always cut one wire, leaving the second in the old connector. I then use a rubber band to hold the second wire and old connector against the lipo body. This allows me to work with the first wire much easier. Nothing gets in the way. Then after the first wire is done, I pull the second one out and finish it.

To be honest, this is the first battery I've actually had to cut a connection off of in a long time, I normally buy batteries with no connectors which come with the wires already protected [obviously] so I don't have to worry about it. I didn't like the idea of just leaving the old connector on there while working on the other wire, it was in pretty bad shape. In that case, I preferred to tape up the wire and then work on the other. But yeah, I always work on one wire at a time, making sure that the other wire is insulated before working on the current wire. Like I stressed in the video, no matter your method, work on one wire at a time and make sure the other wire is protected first.

Thanks for all the feedback!

So I take it nobody is switching over to IC5 yet?

Last edited:
I converted everything to xt90 a few months ago. At this point I just assume I’m going to have to convert whatever I buy. Great video OP!

I like the idea of "smart" batteries like my drones, they can be set to discharge themselves to storage voltage after x days if you don't use them. It would save the battery life, but if they cost 3x to begin with that's 3 standard batteries I could buy before it would make sense to invest in the smart batteries, not to mention a specific charger. 4s drone batteries run around $100 for DJI, etc, proprietary smart batteries, and they still go bad.

I like the idea of "smart" batteries like my drones, they can be set to discharge themselves to storage voltage after x days if you don't use them. It would save the battery life, but if they cost 3x to begin with that's 3 standard batteries I could buy before it would make sense to invest in the smart batteries, not to mention a specific charger. 4s drone batteries run around $100 for DJI, etc, proprietary smart batteries, and they still go bad.

Yeah, that's exactly my issue with them. I didn't even think about having to buy a new charger!

To be honest, this is the first battery I've actually had to cut a connection off of in a long time, I normally buy batteries with no connectors which come with the wires already protected [obviously] so I don't have to worry about it. I didn't like the idea of just leaving the old connector on there while working on the other wire, it was in pretty bad shape. In that case, I preferred to tape up the wire and then work on the other. But yeah, I always work on one wire at a time, making sure that the other wire is insulated before working on the current wire. Like I stressed in the video, no matter your method, work on one wire at a time and make sure the other wire is protected first.

Thanks for all the feedback!

So I take it nobody is switching over to IC5 yet?
No, I'm not or ever will!

I think the ec5 unplug more than my xt90. Going to leave the ic5 plugs on the k8s for warranty reasons and already change a couple 4s batteries from xt90. My 6s rigs will remain xt90.

Well done!

I do use the other mate of the connector to help keep it's shape and tape over the terminals, but I like using the shroud.

You didn't mention to make sure you have correct (male/female) connector. We've all gotten the wrong one on there. :eek:

BTW your link for flux is unavailable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back