Kraton I'd like to buy kraton - what do i need

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shimms87

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey all,
I'm super new to R/C and thinking of getting the Kraton. What do I need to buy in addition to the RTR Kraton.
Any recommendations?

You need a real good battery charger and a few good 4 or 6 cell Lipo batteries for a Kraton. I feel the 1/8th size RC's are good to get right into. The parts are larger, stronger and easier to work on than some 1/10 RC's. 1/8th scale truggies are great for bashing.

I run these battery packs, they have been great and have a high C-rating (output rating). You will also want a good soldering unit to attach the xt-90 connectors that Arrma includes to them. http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_99&product_id=159

Those are 3-cell, you will need 2 of them to run 6s. They also have 2-cell, which you can run 2 for 4s if you wish.

What is your price range on a charger, we can recommend a good one in your range?

I forgot to mention that I live in Canada so, some stuff might be harder to find here. Are there any batteries that don't require any soldering? And should I be getting 2x3s Lipos or 1x6s Lipos? A reliable single battery charger is fine for now, something not too expensive.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I live in Canada so, some stuff might be harder to find here. Are there any batteries that don't require any soldering? And should I be getting 2x3s Lipos or 1x6s Lipos? A reliable single battery charger is fine for now, something not too expensive.

Many of us shop at Tower Hobbies. I'm not an employee nor affiliated in any way with them or Hobbico, with that said, I'm a huge fan of their service and friendly help when I call. Also, their warranty dept is great.
I know they ship all over the world, but I have no idea what restrictions, duties, tariffs or customs are involved in shipping to Canada. I would suspect the NAFTA treaty would eliminate most barriers on anything in the hobby field, but that's just a guess.
Also, many of us, me included, shop at eBay. I'm a bottom feeder/deal searcher, so I enjoy lurking around eBay for smokin' deals, but that's just me.
Being in Canada, I assume you are in a snow area, [cut me some slack here, I live in the AZ desert] and I have seen some great RC snow bashing videos.
Good luck!

i think what people are doing is getting the items shipped across the border and picking it up from there. the taxes duties shipping etc are too costly if i get it shipped to canada. ive checked ebay as well and the shipping price etc wont be worth it. i live in western canada, we barely get any snow here, sometimes none :). im a total noob when it comes to this rc stuff, so many questions. just trying to figure out what i need to buy first.

I am also planning to buy an Arrma Kraton, I am waiting for the new version to be available in my country (the Netherlands). I already bought a charger. I bought the 'Turnigy Reaktor 300W 20A 6S Balance Charger' which should be good for 6S. The only con about this one you need a seperate PSU. For this I am using an old PC PSU. At this moment that's the only thing I can recommend, I will follow this thread for Lipo information.

I run these battery packs, they have been great and have a high C-rating (output rating). You will also want a good soldering unit to attach the xt-90 connectors that Arrma includes to them. http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_99&product_id=159

Those are 3-cell, you will need 2 of them to run 6s. They also have 2-cell, which you can run 2 for 4s if you wish.

What is your price range on a charger, we can recommend a good one in your range?

how fast is the truck with one of those 3 cell batteries and what is the runtime? not sure if i should get 2 3s batteries or 2 2s batteries. a single charger is fine, under $100 cad if possible.

that turnigy charger is good price but, i cant find it on any canadian sites.

Last edited:
How fast is it with just one 3-cell battery? Have not tried it, you want at least 4s. Speed is insane on 6s, more power than you need really, it's great. I can't comment on 4s, only ran 6s so far, I'm sure someone here can compare.

I forgot to ask, do you have a power supply yet? That is extra cost, unless you want a smaller integrated unit. A lot of those charge at a slower rate, so longer charge times. But if you arent charging back-to-back, it shouldn't be an issue.

how fast is the truck with one of those 3 cell batteries and what is the runtime? not sure if i should get 2 3s batteries or 2 2s batteries. a single charger is fine, under $100 cad if possible.

that turnigy charger is good price but, i cant find it on any canadian sites.

All you need is a 6s Lipo, a ramp and clearance from the FAA to occupy some airspace.

@shimms87 the Kraton is one nice RC and you're going to enjoy the heck out of it!

Being new to RC I would recommend checking out our Tools for getting started in RC thread. In addition you'll likely going to want LiPo batteries and you'll need a charger as well. For those I'd recommend reading What's your "budget" LiPo of choice? and Recommend me a battery charger threads.

That should give you a great start into RC and enjoying the hobby. Clearance from the FAA as @Dubbl-A suggests probably isn't a bad idea. :p

How fast is it with just one 3-cell battery? Have not tried it, you want at least 4s. Speed is insane on 6s, more power than you need really, it's great. I can't comment on 4s, only ran 6s so far, I'm sure someone here can compare.

I forgot to ask, do you have a power supply yet? That is extra cost, unless you want a smaller integrated unit. A lot of those charge at a slower rate, so longer charge times. But if you arent charging back-to-back, it shouldn't be an issue.

would a single 2s be too whimpy for this truck or as you said get at least a 4s. do chargers not come with power supplies because i don't have one, would like one included.

@shimms87 the Kraton is one nice RC and you're going to enjoy the heck out of it!

Being new to RC I would recommend checking out our Tools for getting started in RC thread. In addition you'll likely going to want LiPo batteries and you'll need a charger as well. For those I'd recommend reading What's your "budget" LiPo of choice? and Recommend me a battery charger threads.

That should give you a great start into RC and enjoying the hobby. Clearance from the FAA as @Dubbl-A suggests probably isn't a bad idea. :p

thanks ill check those out.

would a single 2s be too whimpy for this truck or as you said get at least a 4s. do chargers not come with power supplies because i don't have one, would like one included.

thanks ill check those out.

You will want to use 4s - 6s, under 4s would be grossly underpowered. Here is a good charger that I have had for a few years as a backup, it has a built in power supply. It only charges up to 5 amps, meaning your charges will be slower. Probably about an hour per pack (assuming 5000mah), but it will do the job. www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-AC680-Dual-Power-LiPo-Battery-Balance-Charger-Discharger-w-Adapters-NEW-/231896911085?hash=item35fe220ced:g:IuYAAMXQkN1RyqTN

You will want to use 4s - 6s, under 4s would be grossly underpowered. Here is a good charger that I have had for a few years as a backup, it has a built in power supply. It only charges up to 5 amps, meaning your charges will be slower. Probably about an hour per pack (assuming 5000mah), but it will do the job. www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-AC680-Dual-Power-LiPo-Battery-Balance-Charger-Discharger-w-Adapters-NEW-/231896911085?hash=item35fe220ced:g:IuYAAMXQkN1RyqTN

Okay, I'll get at least a 4s lipos battery. I looked at the description of that charger and it says "80/10 Watts" but, u said it only charges up to 5 amps?

How does this one compare to the thunder ac680 - http://hitecrcd.com/products/charge...f-80-watt-multi-function-acdc-charger/product . I can pick this one up locally. Both of these chargers plug into the wall, correct?

Okay, I'll get at least a 4s lipos battery. I looked at the description of that charger and it says "80/10 Watts" but, u said it only charges up to 5 amps?

How does this one compare to the thunder ac680 - http://hitecrcd.com/products/charge...f-80-watt-multi-function-acdc-charger/product . I can pick this one up locally. Both of these chargers plug into the wall, correct?

Ok, the charger I linked can charge up to 6amps, not 5. I have no experience with the Hitec charger, but they make great products so Im sure it is just fine. :) Also has better specs than the one I posted.

All you folks talking about being "Grossly underpowered" have gone numb to this truck's power and speed... LOL This is a First RC - most people get a brushed 1/10 as a first RC and are blown away at the speed. Even racers will run with their EPA set to 80%, on 4S. If he wants to run the truck on 3s for a while, go for it!
The Kraton is a beast on 4s, and is insane on 6s. Let the guy get used to driving at normal 4s leg breaking speed before you advise him on how to get his drone permit for high jumping his Kraton.

(and yeah, I've done those jumps too. Huge fun... :) until you get your RC stuck on top of a tree... LOL Been there, done that.)

Last edited:
Great advice Jerry. The Kraton is a beast compared to lots of other RC's but he's in good hands with us here. Go big or go home !!! LOL o_O

Seriously....to the OP, this is something very true. Be careful with a beast like the Kraton.

All you folks talking about being "Grossly underpowered" have gone numb to this truck's power and speed... LOL This is a First RC - most people get a brushed 1/10 as a first RC and are blown away at the speed. Even racers will run with their EPA set to 80%, on 4S. If he wants to run the truck on 3s for a while, got for it!

The Kraton is a beast on 4s, and is insane on 6s. Let the guy get used to driving at normal 4s leg breaking speed before you advise him on how to get his drone permit for high jumping his Kraton.

(and yeah, I've done those jumps too. Huge fun... :) until you get your RC stuck on top of a tree... LOL Been there, done that.)

Totally meant "grossly underpowered" in regards to it's purpose and potential. :) To the OP, it is true this thing can hurt you. A little revalation of mine, I accidentally bumped the throttle and rammed my shin with it from 3 feet away, still have some swelling and bruise from a month ago. :confused: lol, be careful for sure.

Last edited:
3s is not really worth it unless you want to go slow.

I use 2x2s packs for 4s and one big 6s pack for...6s...:rolleyes: A big 6s pack is also good for making people "gasp" every time you pull it in and out of your Kraton.

Hobbyking Turnigy Nano-Techs are what I use and have no issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back