Ideas for bulletproof rod ends

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMightyAtom

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
Hey everyone,

I've had my Granite BLX for about two months now. I'm loving the truck, but the problem with the rear rod ends popping off is starting to get annoying. I don't even drive the truck that hard --- I haven't jumped it yet, and I rarely somersault or crash. It seems like the rod ends just pop off if I go over some bumpy terrain at speed (I should mention that I primarily drive on 3S).

I've been looking around these forums for a solution to this problem, but most of the answers I've seen have agreed that converting the Granite to captured rod ends would tear apart the rear hub carriers. And I agree also --- those stock plastic carriers are not very strong. Better to just pop the rear ball ends back on, right?

However, there are aluminum hub carriers on the market nowadays for the Granite BLX. Like these, from ST racing: https://www.amainhobbies.com/st-rac...hub-carriers-2-gun-metal-spt310002rgm/p523463

My question is, has anyone tried converting the Granite to captured rod ends while using aluminum hub carriers? Would the added strength of the aluminum be able to handle the captured rod ends? And if so, how did you do the conversion? What captured ends did you use?

If no one has done this before, I'd like to try it, and post the results of my build process. That way, the rest of you can see if this conversion would be worthwhile.

Any advice, help, and input will be welcome. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I have used captured rod ends with the original plastic hub carriers for a long time now and I have never had any problems except for one broken rod end. And that's from numerous cartwheels and rear end landings.
Another advantage with captured rod ends is that you don't running the risk of losing a dog bone.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I have used captured rod ends with the original plastic hub carriers for a long time now and I have never had any problems except for one broken rod end. And that's from numerous cartwheels and rear end landings.
Another advantage with captured rod ends is that you don't running the risk of losing a dog bone.

Thanks! This sounds like an attractive solution. May I ask what captured ends you used? Do you have a build thread for it?

This is my first time doing this, and I don't have a lot of experience working on R/Cs. I'm learning as I go.

I just bought some generic stuff from Asia tees.com. But the easiest way I guess, is to measure your current link and then look for a replacement from for example Traxxas, they have several lengths to choose from. And also, make shore they are at least 4mm in thickness cause the standard 3mm can be a bit weak.

I used ARRMA parts - AR330065 (Turnbuckles - M3x71mm) and AR330169 (Rod End Set) on mine. Think you may go either way with this setup. I went snap on, felt it would be less likely to break something, but I may be wrong.

I used stampede rod ends and links along with aluminum hubs. I've been bashing the hell out of it and no problems yet!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back