Ideas on how to remove gear on motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DetroitSlim

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Notorious
  3. Typhon 6s
Hey guys I have a strange one. The gear that comes off of the motor that comes into contact with the gear on the center diff slipped forward some how when a rock wedged it's self under the center diff. Well the hex head recessed screw was ground down and made it impossible to fit a wrench in. I used a bolt and a c-clamp but no luck,

Lmao. Not sure how you managed that one. Hammer it off with a flathead or cut the gear in half

Both of those sound like more possibility of damage than good.

It is just a grub screw. It presses against the flat part of the motor shaft to keep it from spinning as well as moving laterally.

Just grab a drill bit the same size and drill it out be careful not to go too deep and damage the motor shaft. Yeah you will need to put a new gear on, but they are cheap and it is an opportunity to make her a little faster! :)

I guess I have a tactic of doing stuff with brute strength. Maybe I should rethink how I do stuff ??

Trust me I literally have a collection of various hammers everything from little tiny, to Nupla shot filled framin hammer, up to unbreakable Wilton sledge hammers.

But there is a right tool and technique for every job.

Just grab a drill bit the same size and drill it out be careful not to go too deep and damage the motor shaft. Yeah you will need to put a new gear on, but they are cheap and it is an opportunity to make her a little faster! :)
Use a pinion puller...
If neither of those ideas work then worst case scenario just cut a slit down one side of the pinion gear or cut it in half using a Dremel cutting disc. Should come off easily enough then. (y)

Maybe cut the pinion gear across the top of the screw it may cut the gear slightly the slowly screw if out

Hi @DetroitSlim. First, I wouldn't go any further until you take the motor out of the truck. If you have steady hands, I think you could drill the screw out, but your likely to have to trash your pinion. I have drilled right down the center of a screw, and used an extractor to back it out, but that was on a very exposed screw, and probably a bit bigger than the grub of a pinion. If you want to save the motor, find a drill bit as close in diameter to the size of the hole, and slowly drill out the grub screw til its dust. Use a drop of oil every once and a while, to keep the bit cool. Like I said, you might trash the pinion, but save the motor.

Attachments

• 20190127_180023.jpg
    20190127_180023.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190127_180034.jpg
    20190127_180034.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 48
I just had the same exact thing happen to me
20190330_080204.jpg

I took the motor and mount off of the truck. Put the gear in my bench vice. Tried slotting the grub screw but didn't have any luck. So I drilled out the set screw while pulling gently on the motor. I could feel immediately when the screw released. Gave the motor a tug while the gear was still in the vice. Used my wire wheel to clean up the shaft and it's like new now.... minus the gear lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back