Senton If a brushed motor was smoking but still works is it ok to use that motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConVail1127

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
Ok so I own a slash so I asked the traxxas forums which are basically dead so I thought why not ask the arrma forum (Way better) but anyway The brushed motor (Titan 550 12t) on my traxxas slash was smoking so I turned it of and dumped a little water on it. Then waited a bit and tried turning it on and it worked fine. But is it a serious problem that I should fix or is it just fine? Im also new to the hobby so it was probably my own stupidity that caused it?

It is probably on it way out but you could probably use for now. I am also new so take that with a grain of salt

Could be fine until it dies a horrible death or it can take out the ESC with it. Really depends on how it fails. If the magnets shatter due to the kevlar being broken you could end up shorting the wingdings and that will be the end of your ESC. Seen it a couple times with other forum members, never happened to myself.
Get yourself a motor fan to avoid this from the get go.

You can continue running it till all the smoke comes out. Once all the smoke is out of the motor it will no longer run. If your brushed motor is working to hard , like running on grass , it will overheat. If you install a pinion with fewer teeth it will lessen the load on the motor , but will also limit your top speed.

Ok so I own a slash so I asked the traxxas forums which are basically dead so I thought why not ask the arrma forum (Way better) but anyway The brushed motor (Titan 550 12t) on my traxxas slash was smoking so I turned it of and dumped a little water on it. Then waited a bit and tried turning it on and it worked fine. But is it a serious problem that I should fix or is it just fine? Im also new to the hobby so it was probably my own stupidity that caused it?
Its a real shame you couldn't get more info from this Arrma thread. Like the Russian from Rocky 4 "If it dies, it dies" Well for the most part that's true, but they should have also mentioned to you that brand new motors will smoke if they're not broke in properly. There is a process ussually where youll run the motor while submerged in water. YouTube it. These forums are worthless these days with YouTube.

Smoke from a brushed motor, if it hasn’t died completely is a pretty good indication that it’s been overheated. When they get too hot, the lacquer burns off the windings. If it was a little puff, it might be okay for a bit, but it will soon fail. No lacquer = no insulation = poof.

run it till it doesn’t run no more….

Its a real shame you couldn't get more info from this Arrma thread. Like the Russian from Rocky 4 "If it dies, it dies" Well for the most part that's true, but they should have also mentioned to you that brand new motors will smoke if they're not broke in properly. There is a process ussually where youll run the motor while submerged in water. YouTube it. These forums are worthless these days with YouTube.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Back